Help Understanding Cat’s Ultrasound

gracie65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve just returned from the vet after taking my 8 year old female cat Carlie. She’s lost weight the last few weeks, not really eating and no energy.
I’m either in shock or don’t really understand what I was told. They did a ultrasound of her and both kidneys are enlarged and dark. Blood levels for phosphorus and two other things I can’t remember for the life of me were all excessively high. The vet isn’t sure if she will make it. My son is out of town till Friday and will be devastated. I feel like I’m in shock and just not understanding or wanting to believe. If anyone had any experience with what the levels mean in regards to the kidneys etc and can help explain I would appreciate it. I’ll also add this was not her regular vet I went to. I recently moved and went to one I was referred after her being sick. She’s never had kidney issues before and I plan to call her regular vet tomorrow as well.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think calling her regular vet is a great idea. He can call the vet who saw Carlie and get the story.

Kidneys can be enlarged by fluid backup if there is an obstruction
somewhere below (like a stone) or an anatomical abnormality causing the urine to flow backwards. Dark is just fluid, possibly indicating a kidney distended with excess fluid or filled with large cysts.

Can’t say much about the high phosphate or the values you can’t remember. Phosphorus can be high in many conditions, including kidney failure.

No one can tell you a prognosis without more information. In the meanwhile, you need to calm down. What’s going on is not your fault and there is nothing you can do about it today. So hug your cat and call your regular vet in the morning.

Good luck and please come back and let us know what happens.

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you and Carlie are going through this. I agree with above poster that calling your regular vet would be the best thing to do at this point, and go from there. Praying that everything works out and she heals from this. :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gracie65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am taking her to my regular vet this morning. I did seclude her from my other cats and she did pee. I've also put food and water to see if she is eating. I'll update what my regular vet says.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
G gracie65 - just one tidbit of advice...........no matter your level of trust and/or confidence in your 'regular' Vet........never, ever make irrevocable decisions 'on the spot' - no matter the degree of gravity proposed to you.

Nothing is so grave that it cannot be stepped away from for at least a brief time, during which we can consider any proposal under less duress and secure feedback from trusted, detached others.