Help Understanding A Cat Breed

mrsnides5

Human to White Fluffy Balls Binka and Zeppelin
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently purchased a lilac point snowshoe/siamese crossed kitten. She turned three months today (June 30, 2017). I know that snowshoe cats have dark patches and I know that siamese tend to be more on the white/dirty white side. However, as far as her coloration goes that's about all I know. Her tail and ears are dark grey and she has patches of light tan coloration between her ears and on her back.

I'm curious about if she will get darker like a snowshoe or if she has already developed as much coloration that she will have. I also would like to know what lilac point actually means.

If someone who has experience with this cross could help explain this coloration and color development age, I would be eternally grateful!

Thanks for any help,
First Time Kitten Mom

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Although I don't have any personal experience with either, but my sister had a Siamese, my mother has one, and my in laws have had Siamese mixes over the years. I can shed some light on what a lilac point is, basically it's a light pinkish grey color on the points (face, tail, and paws) of the cat and pink paw pads and nose. I don't know about snowshoe, but Siamese do darken with age over the course of years, possibly their whole life, but are close to their adult color by around a year. The lilacs don't tend to darken as much as the other point colors though. Also temperature also effects Siamese color, if the cat is warm they get darker.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Lavender point (also called lilac point) is the dilute version of the chocolate point and the color is described as being frosty grey with a pinkish tone. The paw pads and nose of lilac points is described as lavender-pink. The CFA breed standard allows for some shading (the off-white body color) in seal and blue point Siamese, but not in chocolate point Siamese or their dilute counterpart, lilac point, so, for this reason, I don't think your kitty will get much darker. Slightly more shading perhaps, but not as dark as a Snowshoe. Congratulations on your new kitty! I'd love to see photos!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Very good post, just to agree. One minor detail though. Its cold which makes them darken quicker. This is why they are darker on the pointed parts of the body than on the main body.

Although I don't have any personal experience with either, but my sister had a Siamese, my mother has one, and my in laws have had Siamese mixes over the years. I can shed some light on what a lilac point is, basically it's a light pinkish grey color on the points (face, tail, and paws) of the cat and pink paw pads and nose. I don't know about snowshoe, but Siamese do darken with age over the course of years, possibly their whole life, but are close to their adult color by around a year. The lilacs don't tend to darken as much as the other point colors though. Also temperature also effects Siamese color, if the cat is warm they get darker.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Very good post, just to agree. One minor detail though. Its cold which makes them darken quicker. This is why they are darker on the pointed parts of the body than on the main body.
Yeah I meant lighter, the poster was asking if the cat will get darker so had "darker" stuck in my head, lol. They get lighter with warmth, which is why they are born all white, inside the mother is warm. Sorry for the confusion. They will also get lighter and darker over the year if you live in a place with seasons, especially if they go outside, slightly darker shade in the winter and lighter in the summer.