HELP - Training my kittens to go outside!?!

emmafcuk03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya,

I got my two kittens last December, we moved house last month although they are still a little scared they love the garden....always playing, catching flies, as theyve never had the freedom of outside before. They are also the cleanist cats alive, they always poop in the litter box...ive never had a problem with them.

However im getting bored of cleaning the litter box, and it reaks....When they could be doing their business outside!
How can i get them to poop outside and not in the litter box anymore?!?!

Emma

aurora151989

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
first put the litterboxes outside, and show the kittens where they are..... then when they get used to pooping outside, make the litterboxes disappear but leave some litter..... then make the litter dissapear

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emmafcuk03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we did try to do this but they seem just to hold it in till we bring them in at night and do it in the litter box as we do not have a kitty flap?!?!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
both my boys are indoor/outdoor cats. It did take both of them a good 6 months before they started pooping outside... I believe itt will happen, just be patient.

Now the only time my boys use the litter inside is if I dont let them outside quick enough in the morning

good luck!!

gilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was very lucky with Guinness, from the moment he started playing outside he more or less learnt how to dig in the earth and do his business. A few times I would see him digging but he wouldn't do anything, I used to go up to him and move his paws about in the earth so that he could feel that he could dig there etc.

He has been inside/outside cat for just over 1 year now (he is brought inside during the night and has a litterbox). However, for the past 3 months or so he does not use the litterbox so I think he has got into the routine/idea that he has to go to the toilet before he comes in.

If I were you, I would keep the litterbox for the during the night as you never know when your kitties might need it. Perhaps you could gently move their paws around in the earth to show them how it's done? Good luck and let us know how you get along. These things take time.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmafcuk03

Hiya,

I got my two kittens last December, we moved house last month although they are still a little scared they love the garden....always playing, catching flies, as theyve never had the freedom of outside before. They are also the cleanist cats alive, they always poop in the litter box...ive never had a problem with them.

However im getting bored of cleaning the litter box, and it reaks....When they could be doing their business outside!
How can i get them to poop outside and not in the litter box anymore?!?!

Emma
Sorry about your boredom with cleaning the litter box, but it is part of life when you have cats even inside/outside cats. They more than likely need another litter pan or at least a bigger one and you need to clean it more often if it reaks.
I have 14 cats and have 9 litter pans. Even the three cats who stay predominately outside, when they come in to the house, they will go either into the enclosure to use the ones in there, or upstairs to use the boxes. You can look into www.citypet.com for help with the reaking part of it, but you cannot expect your cats to "hold their urine" while you sleep. Instead, expect them, if you remove all pans from the home to pee on your bed, on your floors or in your sink.

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Sorry about your boredom with cleaning the litter box, but it is part of life when you have cats even inside/outside cats. They more than likely need another litter pan or at least a bigger one and you need to clean it more often if it reaks.
I have 14 cats and have 9 litter pans. Even the three cats who stay predominately outside, when they come in to the house, they will go either into the enclosure to use the ones in there, or upstairs to use the boxes. You can look into www.citypet.com for help with the reaking part of it, but you cannot expect your cats to "hold their urine" while you sleep. Instead, expect them, if you remove all pans from the home to pee on your bed, on your floors or in your sink.
I have to agree with Hissy on that one. My indoor/ outdoor cats always have a litterbox for when they are inside. Not having one for them would be like me not having an access to a toilet. I have 6 cats total and even though I do not enjoy cleaning a box ( I can't say anyone LOVES it....), it comes with cat ownership and is a very small price to pay for the return of their love. Mt cats did discover going outside, which does help a little, but they still love the thrill of going in the box as soon as I clean it.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any reason why you can't keep your cats indoors and walk them outside on a leash so that they remain safe? My babies are quite happy to sit by the window and get plenty of exercise indoors.

Would you put your child outside because you were tired of changing the diapers?

Litter boxes are a part of owning cats. I have 2 cats and 4 litterboxes, they do not smell i remove the waste as soon as they do it and deep clean only once a week.

grapegal45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was kinda wondering the same thing. Are you just having them go outside to go potty? Cat poo and pee does smell, as does ours....
but if you clean the boxes regularly it's not so bad. Have plenty of good sized boxes and clean daily and the job really just isn't that bad. If it gets that bad it really is the cat owners fault. If I get busy and forget and things get a little stinky, I just blame myself. Also, what kind of litter do you use? I know everyone has their preferences but the scoopable kind, if you're not using that, really is best on the whole as you're scooping both the poo and pee out. Regular clay litter, although cheaper, must be diligently emptied very regularly otherwise your box will stink and stink quickly. I know we had run out of scoopable last week and someone had given me a bag of regular clay.....it didn't take long for that to go bad. I quickly went and purchased more scoopable.
I know people have different opinions and much depends on your living situation, but if you don't have to have the cats outdoors, sounds like yours are a little scared yet, why would you? Not trying to be mean, just wondering.

cattycattycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Come on People, A LEASH!?  they are CATS!  I can understand leashing them in certain circumstances (vet. for instance) but come on.  If your cat is fixed which it should be, chances are it will stay around your house. Some people like to think about the felines natural instincts to hunt as a great reason for letting them out into the free world. Plus if one lives in the country there is usually no reason not to let them out to be free.  In the city you may have more dangers.  But lets get things straight here.  Cats are not infants.  Yes, keep their boxes clean but lets not compare them to human children wearing diapers that they have to potty in.  If you put their litter box outside and let them use it there for a while they will probably figure it out. Of course the advice to keep one inside for them at night is sound, but once they figure it out you will have less to clean inside.  Above all else it is usually best to not obsess about it.  Let it happen at it's own pace. 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Come on People, A LEASH!?  they are CATS!  I can understand leashing them in certain circumstances (vet. for instance) but come on.  If your cat is fixed which it should be, chances are it will stay around your house. Some people like to think about the felines natural instincts to hunt as a great reason for letting them out into the free world. Plus if one lives in the country there is usually no reason not to let them out to be free.  In the city you may have more dangers.  But lets get things straight here.  Cats are not infants.  Yes, keep their boxes clean but lets not compare them to human children wearing diapers that they have to potty in.  If you put their litter box outside and let them use it there for a while they will probably figure it out. Of course the advice to keep one inside for them at night is sound, but once they figure it out you will have less to clean inside.  Above all else it is usually best to not obsess about it.  Let it happen at it's own pace. 
My cats are all harness trained. Teaching cats to walk on a leash or go outside in a fenced yard dragging a leash is very common these days, so that cats can enjoy the outdoors in safety.

"Chances are" a cat let out to wander may disappear. There are many many threads in this forum, and many other forums, about cats disappearing, or getting hit by cars, attacked by other predators, poisoned by people.

Cats are healthier and safer and can be just as happy and active inside.

Even for a cat who does go outside on his own, it is better to encourage the use of an indoor litter box. Often changes in litter box habits is the first indication that a cat is sick.

You're responding to an 8 year old thread.
Yes this is an old thread but the issue is just as important now as it was then. The OP, in my opinion, was way off base with their talk being "bored with" "reeking" litter boxes and training the cats to toilet outside, and I agree with the other posters that when you have a cat, you have a littler box. That's just the way it goes. Keep it clean and it won't reek. :)

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't even bother reading back Otto.  I should have asked the new poster to start a new thread to voice his/her concerns..  That would have been better 

mountainmom08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually had trained my first cat to go outside, and not leave the yard. It is doable, but until they understand not to leave the yard, they must be supervised. I don't my new kitten to leave the yard either, so am working with him slowly. My other cat was able to hold his potty time until I got home or over night, this accidental got locked up without a box and managed to hold it and he is only about 10 weeks old. Leash training is an option, but they are smart enough to learn boundaries. I do not encourage people to allow their cats to run free, one got into my backyard before we got the kitten and my dogs killed it. They are great with the kitten though, but no other cats or birds are allowed in the yard. So please keep them indoors or in the yard. I hated having to find the owners and I am an animal over and it just broke my heart.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually had trained my first cat to go outside, and not leave the yard. It is doable, but until they understand not to leave the yard, they must be supervised. I don't my new kitten to leave the yard either, so am working with him slowly. My other cat was able to hold his potty time until I got home or over night, this accidental got locked up without a box and managed to hold it and he is only about 10 weeks old. Leash training is an option, but they are smart enough to learn boundaries. I do not encourage people to allow their cats to run free, one got into my backyard before we got the kitten and my dogs killed it. They are great with the kitten though, but no other cats or birds are allowed in the yard. So please keep them indoors or in the yard. I hated having to find the owners and I am an animal over and it just broke my heart.

It is very unhealthy and dangerous for cats to hold their urine. This causes urinary tract infections and kidney problems. All cats should have access to a clean litter box, at all times, so they can pee when they need to pee.

kris anne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have trained one adult cat to go the bathroom outside.  I talk to him a lot.  This doesn't mean he understands me.  It means that he know he can talk to me.  I don't say here kitty kitty.  I call them by their name and guess what they learn their name.  I did all the tricks stated above.  Sometimes you don't even need to have the kitty litter in the house if you do it right., they won't like a kitty litter because it is actually more bacteria.  I take them outside and scrap the dirt that I already loosened or you may do that with kitty litter, put a kitty litter box outside.  I just had loose dirt and moved my hands to pick up the dirt and watch it fall in front of him.  Then I dug his paws in it and moved away.  Sometimes I let them out for a short period once I trusted them to stay which they always do.  When they were little sometimes I would wait.  Key is to put them out immediately after they eat.  So you cannot leave food out constantly.  They pee in the morning when they awake when you get up.  Now if they do have an accident, you rub their nose in it and put them out.  I promise they will learn quickly.  I have never used a kitty litter and I have 3 male cats.  Clyde, Tom and Jerry.  And yes Tom and Jerry are brothers so it was fun to name them Tom and Jerry.  Bonnie and Clyde was the plan but I never found a female, instead I met Tom and Jerry and knew they were so adorable and that was it.  Only room for one more kitty and it would be the female.  I live on a farm so they run around with me outside during the day and come in when I come in.  They are spoiled.  They get as much dry food outside and one can inside then bathroom break.  The hair is beautiful and they know they are loved and love that I acknowledge them by their names.  they are easy to train, you raise your voice, and immediately stop their behavior on counters every time they do it, they will stop. Plants you may use a water spray bottle.  Spray water bottle works for everything.  It only needs to be used a few times and they will get the idea just like that. Mine do not go in plants, do not climb on table or counter tops and do not go bathroom in the house.  They are smarter than ya think.  Good luck!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have trained one adult cat to go the bathroom outside.  I talk to him a lot.  This doesn't mean he understands me.  It means that he know he can talk to me.  I don't say here kitty kitty.  I call them by their name and guess what they learn their name.  I did all the tricks stated above.  Sometimes you don't even need to have the kitty litter in the house if you do it right., they won't like a kitty litter because it is actually more bacteria.  I take them outside and scrap the dirt that I already loosened or you may do that with kitty litter, put a kitty litter box outside.  I just had loose dirt and moved my hands to pick up the dirt and watch it fall in front of him.  Then I dug his paws in it and moved away.  Sometimes I let them out for a short period once I trusted them to stay which they always do.  When they were little sometimes I would wait.  Key is to put them out immediately after they eat.  So you cannot leave food out constantly.  They pee in the morning when they awake when you get up.  Now if they do have an accident, you rub their nose in it and put them out.  I promise they will learn quickly.  I have never used a kitty litter and I have 3 male cats.  Clyde, Tom and Jerry.  And yes Tom and Jerry are brothers so it was fun to name them Tom and Jerry.  Bonnie and Clyde was the plan but I never found a female, instead I met Tom and Jerry and knew they were so adorable and that was it.  Only room for one more kitty and it would be the female.  I live on a farm so they run around with me outside during the day and come in when I come in.  They are spoiled.  They get as much dry food outside and one can inside then bathroom break.  The hair is beautiful and they know they are loved and love that I acknowledge them by their names.  they are easy to train, you raise your voice, and immediately stop their behavior on counters every time they do it, they will stop. Plants you may use a water spray bottle.  Spray water bottle works for everything.  It only needs to be used a few times and they will get the idea just like that. Mine do not go in plants, do not climb on table or counter tops and do not go bathroom in the house.  They are smarter than ya think.  Good luck!
Just want to mention that rubbing a cat's nose in an accident is not a good way to discipline.  For one, if you don't have a litter box in the house, not sure where you expect them to go.  Two, they will not make the connection between what they did and the "punishment" you are using.  To them, their owner is doing something unpleasant to them.  They will not make an association and learn from what you are trying to teach.  Same goes for the spray bottle.  They are now scared of you and what you might do to them, but don't understand why they are being reprimanded.