HELP! This new kitten is so hyper

sassycat1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I have a problem with this new kitten that we adopted a week ago. She is 5 months old and lived everyday of her life in the shelter. She was very well handled there and taught well. She was socialized and handled a lot. She is so lovable and quite the little sweetie. I have another cat that is 10. We recently lost our Bengal to kidney failure, she was 12. We thought that the 10 yr old needed a companion again as she seemed quite unhappy since her sister passed. So, we adopted the new kitten who is named Mousy.

In my life I have had and raised and lost many kittens. I've always been able to train them and work with them without too many issues. We all know it takes time, but this little girl, she is a different story. I have never actually had this problem before. She is SO high strung. She does nothing but run and jump and play all day. Yes we play with her a lot. Much more than the 15 minutes at time. She seems to need that to get even a little tired. She sleeps a little at a time. She eats regularly. She does not bite, scratch or do anything else. We have no litter issues. She takes a bath like it's no big deal. But, at night, she is horrible to have in the house.

My husband is just about at the end of his rope with her. I have more patience than him, but I am concerned that if her nighttime behavior continues he will take her back to the pound. I really do not want to see that happen.

At night she gets in the bed and she is all over us. She wants to sleep practically on my face. But she only sleeps about 15 minutes at any given time. Then she starts jumping all over the bed. Over me, over him. Then she pounces on us. She leaps on our faces. She runs and jumps and she's been scratching him in the face. Clearly she does not intend to scratch, but she's a cat and has nails. She mews and pounces and rolls and jumps on and off and on and off. Then she's running through the house and playing with the 25 toys that they have. They also have 3 huge cat trees in different parts of the house. I am at a loss. I try to pull her in to snuggle and pet her like I would any other cat in the hope that she will rest and go to sleep, but it does not work. She wiggles loose and starts to jump and run all over the bed again. It's really an impossible situation at this point. We need to be able to sleep.

We have tried as I said playing with her more before bed.

We have tried pulling her in to snuggle and pet hoping she will go to sleep.

We have three cat trees and more than 2 dozen toys.

We have tried closing the door, but she just digs at the door and carpet which is not going to work.

We have tried toys and cat trees.

So last night he put her in her crate so that we could get some sleep. Of course I do not want to do this. I do not feel like this is a great thing to do. So, I've come here to get some ideas on what else we can try. I feel bad putting her in the crate. She is not happy in there, but we really do need to be able to sleep at night too. She's not sleeping in there, but after a little while she does stop trying to get out and just waits for the door to be open so she can race out of it.

PLEASE HELP ME try to figure out what is going on here. She is so sweet and adorable and I want her to be in our family. I just do not know what to do at this point.

She just seems to be really hyperactive. As I said, I've had lots of cats in my life, most from kittenhood, and I've never seen one that had this kind of frenetic energy like our little Mousy does. I truly hope that someone has some ideas. Thank you in advance..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassycat1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should also say that once I leave the bedroom with her in the early morning she does not go back in there on the bed to bother him while he sleeps. She will go in there to get to the bathroom/litterbox. She will go in there to nap under the bed and get toys, but not on the bed. Does this mean that she is doing these things at night because I am in the bed or is it that once I am awake she is content?

Thanks!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
What was the shelter setup where Mousy came from? Were the cats kept in cages or were they kept in playrooms or a combination of both?

You have only had Mousy for a week. I really think she is just enjoying all her new freedom.

I suggest getting her setup in her own room at night with toys (especially some nighttime toys...balls that glow/twinkle, maybe even an electric laser pointer), food/water, bed, litter box, etc...this way you get sleep and she can do her own nighttime routine.

Another option would be to confine her to a large dog crate (again with water, litter box, a bed...) and basically try to sleep train her. However, I personally would give her a few more weeks before doing this. As, I think she is likely to calm down a bit as she gets over the newness of finly being in a home and have her own humans around.

recomper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with catpack. Shes just excited from where she used to live. Its like having a new toy that u play constantly until u get bored of it.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's a kitten and most of all a cat. Cats get active during the night. The biggest problem seems her being with you in the bedroom. Is it possible to just let her sleep in the livingroom instead? She'll probably complain at the door a couple of times but as long as you never let her in the bedroom ever again (including during the day) she'll get used to it fast enough and you'll be able to sleep properly

jennabug11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I say to stick it out a bit yet!

I had this same issue when I first got my kitten. We adopted her when she was approximately 8-12 weeks old from a shelter. She was crazy hyper! She was the loudest kitten in the shelter and we thought that was super cute at the time (it's still cute, but it got worse before it got better!!) 

Well, we've had her now for about 8 months and she is still a hyper cat, but not as naughty. We've had the same thoughts as you and your husband (Mine isn't a super big fan of cats so he was easy to give up) but it was worth sticking it out because it's gotten significantly better. She's also very entertaining!! 

For the nighttime issues, keep her away from your room. Sounds easier said than done.. but what we did/do is shut the door every night otherwise she will think it's playtime all night long. It took a while to get used to, she would cry and cry and cry for hours wanting to be by us. Scratch and the whole bit... 

To start off the process of her staying away from our bedroom at night was purchasing an Ssscat Sprayer (it shoots air at them when they cross the sensor. It's not water and it doesn't hurt) About $30. During the day we would shut it off and then at night, turn it back on. It helped her learn to stay away from the door at night while it's bedtime. It helped SO much. Now we don't even need it because she's learned that when it's nighttime and we shut the door..she needs to be by herself for a few hours. We also tried a calming cat collar. It seemed to help some. 

We also purchased a lot of interactive cat toys so she has something to keep her entertained at night. I've also created a little "cat bedroom" for her. It was technically a type of pen/tent for her (made for outside) but, we use it as her little bedroom. We have a cat bed in it as well as her toys. We don't need to zip it shut because she goes in there by herself. We also connected a cat tunnel so it's like a little jungle gym for her. 

We also have cat claw caps... we didn't want to get her declawed but she is super active with her paws. So scratching was TERRIBLE. We tried training her to not scratch us during playtime and not to scratch the couches, etc.. but we purchased the cat claw caps and they last a good 6 weeks. She actually is so used to them that when she sheds a cap she almost limps lol silly cat

Maybe try talking to your cat too. Seems silly, but that's what we do with our cat. We just talk to her when she's being too vocal. It probably makes her feel noticed and she loves the attention. Then she quiets down and goes and plays or takes a nap. 

Good luck! Stick with it for a while!! It got better for us!

freewayexit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi SassyCat!

Ah, my baby Exit keeps me up occasionally as well.  Play before bed is good, as is a good meal before bed, and maybe try rescue remedy to calm the nerves.  They make a formula for kitten/Cats.  You may have to add it to a little wet food.  It really works, both my cats love it and it's really helpful for calming them down.

I got my kittens at 5 weeks . . .  they kept me up for most of the night for the first 1year and a half.  Now that they are adult age (two) they allow me to sleep and for the most part and are calm and quiet all night and sleep at my feet on the bed.  

Cats are all about routine and you being consistent.  Get her on a routine and let her know when its time to sleep.  After play time give her some rescue remedy, then feed, then lights out, then bed.  Once she knows the routine she will comply and calm down, she will understand its time to sleep.  I wouldn't bring her to bed with you . . .  she probably thinks this is an invitation to play and then has an expectation you will play with her.  Give her a place for sleep and take her toys away at bed time.  I know you don't like crating her but this might be a way for you to get her to calm down completely and have a private place all hers to sleep.  BTW don't treat her as a BAD kitty when she doesn't understand.  Stay calm, gentle but firm and she will soon understand your communication.  Always be loving . . ..  remember she is a baby and like all babies they need love, care, and training.  She is likely feeling your conflicted feelings about the situation and getting mixed signals.  If you are consistent she will begin to understand. 

As I stated I have two cats, they are from the same litter but have different personalities.  Exit is hyper and demanding, Freeway is more relaxed and easy going but get scared easily and doesn't like being held.  I have to apply more effort training Exit.  He is super smart and active so I play more sophisticated game with him and have to give him more attention and cuddle with him more so that he knows I love him and that he is a good kitty.  Mostly he is really good but sometimes he is really ramped up and I have to ride the wave until he burns out. :)

I've had many sleepless nights.  Being a mommy isn't easy but its worth it.  Best of luck.

freewayexit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello again Sassy CAT!

I just thought of something else that might be helpful . . .  your little kitty might be lonely if you work all day and then wants to play with you at night . . .  you might consider getting her a friend of the same age, that way she has a playmate and another cat to help train her.

I've had cats my whole life but never two at the same time.  I am thrilled Freeway and Exit have each other.  They are sooo bonded and love each other so much.  They play together, eat together, clean each other, and sleep together, and they also teach each other new skills. 

I now I see two are better than one.  I know my little babies are never lonely when I'm away at work or out of the house. 

It might help if she has a playmate.

Again . . .  good luck!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds like a good Kitty. Just overjoyed about being out of a cage. My kitty is also 5 months old and i leave him be in the living room at night and let him do his thing. If you dont want to do that you might have her stay in a small room at night or a large kennel. A friend would be even better! Im planning on giving my kitty a friend next month. Please dont send her back!! She just never got to be a real kitten living in a cage.

melanie walker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe she has an anxiety issue having grown up at the shelter .. I have both cats and dogs as

I only take in strays ..my neighbor got a little dog  that grew up in the shelter he brought her home

then he was never home he left her in the kennel for 20hrs a day and she was acting like your baby

he was going to bring her back to the shelter ,I didn't want to see her go so I took her ..well needless to

say all those things you mention that little dog did the same thing ..I brought her to the vet and he put

her on a  months supply of anxiety med and she got better when she realized she wasn't going to be

put in a kennel anymore..that was 5 years ago and now between her and 6 more share the bed

with me and the hubby... she and the male dog sleep at the top of our head and 4 cats sleep at our feet

we are such a blended animal family

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am also suggesting that you set her up in her own bedroom, if you have one, for her bedtime and nightly playtimes. When I bring in any kittens, foster's or my own adoption's, they stay in their safe room/bedroom at night until they are a bit older and well adjusted to the house and my other cat's. Sometimes this can be months! There is a window, cat trees, a bed, shelving, toys, litter box, hammocks that hang from the ceiling near the cat tree, and treat balls filled with kibble. The kitten or kitten's love this room and enjoy having a room all to their own! I also use this room when I have to be away for more than a couple of hours during the day so as to make sure they stay safe and my other cat's are not bothered by their kitten antics.

Your kitten sounds quite happy and very healthy filled with a joyful spirit!!! I hope you can find a way to get your sleep as I do know how emotionally draining this can be having a kitty wake you on and off all night long!! :vibes:

[article="22303"][/article]