HELP! this is so frustrating!

Naomilovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone !
Yall know i love my cats. I would not be a member of this site if didnt. But for the last two weeks my cat Finn has been peeing and pooping by my front door and im just at my wits end at this point. I have tried the baking soda and vinegar thing, i tried bleach, tried dish soap water, peroxide, you name it. But i still catch her on camera going to the bathroom right by the front door.

To give a bit of context, i got Finn before i got khaleesi, their both females and Finn is about one human year older than Khaleesi. Finn is mostly the sweet one and not fussy cat who normally chills and is wayyyy too affectionate. Khaleesi is more alpha and has made it physically clear she runs this town. She is more feisty and doesn't listen much but is loving at tiny moments which make all the fussing worth it. They share a cat litter and i have a feeling this may be the reason but i honestly did not want to have to get a new one because of space and the oder. I mostly use a non clumping clay litter that has frebreeze. We also found her in the bathroom pooping in the sink before.

PLEASE HELP Im considering putting her up for adoption which would break my heart because i know maybe her age will prevent her from finding a home. And at the same time i understand she cant communicate so i want to try and do my best to be patient and give some effort at other avenues before taking such a drastic decision.

Here they are, my babies. Finn is the grey one. :hearthrob:

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First---she is spayed, right? If not, she's trying to attract tomcats. Having her spayed should help.

Having another litterbox shouldn't add to the odor. If anything, it should help with that, because now the odor is spread between 2 boxes so it's less concentrated. I'd definitely give that a try. Cheap and easy.

If that doesn't work, take her to the vet for full bloodwork. It could be a health problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Naomilovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your response !

Yes she is spayed, and i have ordered a new litter box i will be getting by the end of the week. I dont have access to a vet unfortunately, is there anything else i can do in the meantime while the new litter arrives?

Also, i invested in pellets as litter, maybe that could help as well?

Thank you so much in advance :heartshape:

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
What were you using in the past for litter? Does the litter change coincide with her going on the floor? Can you think back to anything that has happened or changed in your home in the last couple weeks?

Also, you need to clean the spots where she has been urinating and pooping with an enzyme based cleaner, like Natire’s miracle. The other cleaners you mentioned won’t work to fully remove the odor.

Naomilovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been using non-clumping clay litter that has frebreeze, i have changed her litter in the past due to accessibility on what i can purchase, meaning i did not purposely mean to. But i have been using the same one for months so i dont think that is the case.
In terms of changes i cant think of anything other than the current pandemic and the fact that me and my roommate are home all the time now. She normally likes to me in my room and i have not been allowing her in here so thats maybe a change but i do that ever so often depending on my allergies and how bad they may be at the time.

Thanks again !

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats don’t like scented litter, maybe her patience has run out for fabreeze? I’d switch to unscented litter to see if that would change anything. Regularly changed litter should not bring any unpleasant smells.

Also, if you have two cats, 3 litter boxes would be ideal, so I’d add two additional if I were you.

Naomilovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im hoping the new litter box and pellets system will fix this.

Do you think it would be confusing for them if there are two different types of litter in the house ?
should i change both boxes to pellets ?

Thanks to everyone helping me out !

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of cats don't like pellets :/. Usually the most-accepted kind of litter is unscented sand-like clumping litter. But the pellets are worth a try just in case she likes them. But if she doesn't, be prepared.