Help.. thinking of getting Neka declawed and I don't want to, but don't know what else to do...

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay so I've had Neka since August 30th of this year. She was between 5 and 6 months of age when I got her. She's always been a very sweet but active kitty. 

With her claws she uses her scratching posts and i've never seen her scratch the furniture. Well when jumping down from her cat tree she'll land he one of the wood dressers and her claws scratch the top of that up a bit but I'm fine with that. As far as scratching inappropriate objects I've never had an issue with her...

The issue is her scratching me! She doesn't scratch or bite me on purpose don't get me wrong. The first issue was with my feet under the covers, she'd scratch at them when they moved, but this is a normal cat behavior - she see's movement she's going to pounce. When I'm walking normally she rubs up against me and my feet - she doesn't scratch me then. 

The second issue, was kneading, after first it was just my legs which was fine, I was completely okay with that. But then at night now for several months when I'm laying down with her, or when I'm asleep she'll knead my face! That I'm not happy with at all. I've gotten some good punctures on my nose from that and there's been a couple of times where her paws go for my eyes. Mostly she keeps it around the cheeks, mouth, and chin. With the chin she ends up scratching almost every time. 

The third issue and this is more recent is she's going for my hair both with her mouth and with her claws. Tonight she got her claws into my neck twice, that hurt! With getting her off of me she likes to just grab on with her claws when I try to take her away from my hair. Now with her going after my hair what I'm going to have to do is just wear a pony tail every time I'm around her now on, and potentially when I'm sleeping to just pull the covers over my head or something. Still don't know there. Because when she's goes for my hair she goes to chew, like it's prey. Which kind of make sense because she loves her feather toys... 
 So don't know how to discourage that...

Anyway I try to keep up with trimming her claws, sometime's a bit difficult because I live alone, but I can usually get it done... 

I've tried the soft claws (not soft paws) but soft claws that petco has, that was a disaster. She hates stuff on her claws and just kept biting at it until it was in shred... 

What else can i try?! I do not want to get her declawed but her claws are really starting to hurt even when they're trimmed. She's not out and out being bad, I don't think she has any major behavior issues (pica aside) so I don't want to punish her with a spray bottle or something when she's kneading my face, when she does that I just move my face away and then she just keeps coming at me.... 

Suggestions? 

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a friendly reminder to all members that the member is asking for help, so please, no flaming 

Also,  a reminder of one of the rules on declawing at TCS

3. This website is anti-declawing. Understand that if you are pro-declaw in your posts, you will encounter opposition. Please learn more about alternatives for declawing here in our forums as well as on our website itself. Declaw - More than Just a Manicure.

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All cats are anti-soft paws when you first put them on.  I have 5 cats in the house and 4 of them wear soft paws (Blue was declawed front AND back before we got him! :()  They all have very different purrsonalities.  Rex is laid back and he accepted the paws from day one...including laying down like a person against me and letting me put them on him.  Chloe gets scared every time I do it, but she doesn't try to climb me until most of the claws are on...which helps.  LOL  She doesn't chew them off.  Juno squalled like a banshee when I put them on her the first few times.  It was a fight, but now she just accepts them and moves on.  Meowgie acts like I am torturing him and squalls and wiggles until sometimes my dh has to hold him for me...and he chews at them.  However, he is LITTLE (3 mos) and each time gets easier with less of him chewing at them. 

Before you resort to declawing, I would do the soft paws SEVERAL more times and see if you can get her used to them.  Even if you just put them on the front claws, it sounds like it will help you a lot.

Good luck!!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried screaming? I have found cats be able to learn quite well away from activity that hurts me by simply screaming loud OW when I feel pain that I don't like to feel, mine have learned to be more gentle that way.

It takes quite many times until they learned, but now it is mostly good.

When mine are really naughty, I say NO! to them and put my index finger up and close to their nose while looking straight to eyes, when just normally naughty I just say NO! or maybe put just finger up, they understand, but when not listening and still doing wrong things staring to eyes makes them think twice as it is challenge/threat thing, which of course scares them a bit, but also they understand better that it is now serious no and they do stop misbehaving then, also I always praise when they stop and start to behave, so they get also positive responce from stopping bad thing.
Three of mine are under 1 year old so they are bit seeking those limits and need a bit of guidance to life.

But if all that does not help, then perhaps some other measures are required, some use water spray to teach what is bad, but I did try that when I had one cat that was misbehaving, there just was no any effect, some cats seem to have no dislike to water. There is also clicker training, which might work, but I don't know much about that one either.

I know that some cats can then get bit clawing/chewing desires when they smell catnip, just to be sure, has there be new toy with cat nip or some other cat nip source recently or has your cat had such kind of reaction to cat nip?

There are quite lot of possibilities so before doing anything big, it is perhaps best to exhaust every other method, often it is just hard to know all those methods that actually are available, I'm sure there is even more which I don't know, so maybe others can put up what their know, that way there would be at least information abotu what possibilites there are before doing anything that can't be undone, that is how I think about at least. Hopefully solution can be found without too much trouble.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you are having this problem, but declawing is too savage a remedy. There are ways to train a cat, especially one as young as this. I would try disciplining him as his own mommy would - use cat language. Hiss at him immediately he does something you don't like, then follow with his name. The only physical thing I would do (water spray almost never works) is to tap him on the nose as a cat would. But this must be almost simultaneous with the bad action, or he will not associate the two. And I say a tap, that is all it should be, accompanied by a hiss or growl. He will learn.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All of my cats have their claws and I don't use soft claws, nor do I clip their nails. And I have a couple of kneaders and a couple that like to rake their claws (and teeth) thru my hair. This is natural behavior in cats.

I'll use Scarlett as an example, as she gets frantic with her kneading at times. When she starts, depending on where she starts to knead, I'll do a couple of things. If I'm in bed and she starts on my face, I'll flip her around so her back is towards me and snuggle her in tight against my chest with my hand close to her chest. She'll continue to try to knead my hand, but I can control her movements with my fingers (wiggle them in between her digits or just hold her claws in check). She loves the alternative to snuggle up against me and she still can knead within reason, so we both are happy. If she climbs in my lap on the sofa (her other favorite kneading spot), I'll put my hand under her paws so that she can't rip up my clothes, or I'll put a blanket (a towel or tshirt would also work) in between her paws and me. Again, she still gets to knead and I don't get scratched.

Muddy is my hair scratcher/biter. He does it most when I pick him up and carry him on my shoulder (his favorite spot). When he does this, I give him a big NO and remove him from my shoulder - something he doesn't like. Muddy doesn't do it very often anymore, as he LOVES my shoulder and he has learned that if he misbehaves while up there, he loses his shoulder rights. But as all cats do, he sometimes gets carried away trying to do something he loves to do, and forgets that I won't let him do it.

Taking the things away from them that gives them pleasure doesn't entirely work. Redirect their behavior to something they still love, and control how and what they knead.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay here are my
, I would agree with a front declaw. But, be aware of a few things. Number one, at her age, it will be traumatic. You will need to be home a lot the first few weeks. You also will need to find a VERY GOOD veterinarian, to do it at such a late stage in life. Lastly, be aware, that such a radical physical change at her age CAN CHANGE her disposition.

I own an F3 Savannah that has all his nails. While, he never intentionally hurts me (never swats me, or grabs at me with his claws out), he constantly injures me. He uses me like a jungle gym, spring board, and just a general toy
. Many of you are thinking, why do I let him do that? It can not be helped. Part of living/working with this breed of cat "requires" you be used as a toy.

Now my F3 has had his nails trimmed twice a week, since I acquired him at about four months old. So his nails are cut down very short. However, he chews the tips, so they are still very very sharp. I have never seen a pure domestic cat with such SHARP and more importantly serrated claws. Our skin V.S. there claws = no contest. Claws win

I have tried soft paws three times. It was almost impossible for me to get them on the cat. My Savannah seems to be as pliable as a ferret or slinky. More importantly, once the soft paws where on the cat, he removed them quickly. By quickly, I mean five minutes or less

So what have I learned from owning Loki? I have learned that hybrid cats have VERY sharp claws. They may not mean to hurt you, but they sure do. I have also learned nail trimmers are your "friend".

Now, will Neka let you clip her claws? I mean are you capable of doing so? If so, will she let you do it? My Loki squirms around when I do it. But, since I have done it to him since he was young, he has learned to tolerate it.

Things that do not work with foundation/hybrid exotic cats, based on my experience are: yelling, screaming, or hitting. All yelling and screaming does is "amp up" your cat. Unlike a pure domestic, that will run and hide, that will only "excite" your Savannah cat. Hitting will simply get you bitten, not to mention the moral/legal implications of such behavior.

In closing, when I acquire my next Savannah or Chausie he will be front dewclaw. Plain and simple.

***Please note the following: I am not a proponent of declawing pure domestic cats. My completely indoor cat, just get her nails trimmed. My indoor/outdoor domestic cats, use there nails in "nature" not me or my home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 I don't want to declaw her... she's like my kid... in fact I sometimes refer to her as my daughter (as I'm pretty certain at this point I can't have kids). 

Declawing = maiming her essentially, in my mind at least. 

She allows me to trim her nails for the most part, maybe I'll just have to do it several times weekly. 

Soft claws does NOT work at all. 

Also I would never purposely yell at or hit/tap my cat. When she has hurt me in the past I say somewhat loudly Ouch! and make a little show of it and then she just stares at me and quits doing what she was doing. But that doesn't work when she's kneading my face because I don't want her to stop kneading entirely, I just want her to do it somewhere else on me... 

I wonder if a nail file would work at making her claws less ragged... then again a) she'd have to let me do that to all of her claws and b) as soon as she sharped her claws on the scratching post it would be all for naught...

Does anyone have any NEW suggestions? 

Last edited:

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who likes to knead also, and when I haven't clipped her nails for a while it can be painful. I like it when she kneads on me too, but when it starts to hurt, I gently pick her up and re-position her so that if she continues to knead it won't hurt me. Also, wintertime is nice because she loves fleece, so I can simply cover my legs with a fleece blanket and let her go to town on that.

My new guy looks like he's going to be a kneader too. I hear you that it does hurt in certain spots on your body, but don't get her declawed just because you don't want her to stop kneading you. When it is painful for you, gently pick her up and focus her attention elsewhere. Like others have mentioned, when she swats at you aggressively, hiss at her or firmly tell her "no". This has worked with my cat, the only time I ever get scratched is if I startle her (my fault) or if she gets overzealous at play time.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Monet used to knead on my face.. I've patiently moved his paws off my face and on to another part of my body that's covered with cloth. Eventually, he learned that the face is not the place to knead. Try redirecting his actions to another part of the body.. your shoulder or something that's covered with your clothes or cloth

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Monet used to knead on my face.. I've patiently moved his paws off my face and on to another part of my body that's covered with cloth. Eventually, he learned that the face is not the place to knead. Try redirecting his actions to another part of the body.. your shoulder or something that's covered with your clothes or cloth
:yeah: Jamie loves to run his claws through my hair and eventually learned that "Claws!" means he's to stop doing that or kneading my face/head/bare legs or arms. I kept repeating it and moving his paws away.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found that sort of yelping something that sounds like "meowch!" (Try to make the sound a cat makes when he/she gets hurt while playing) helps. They don't want to hurt you so if you make that sound they know to stop.

What do you use to clip her nails? Human nail clippers seem to leave raggedy edges, rounded cat nail clippers seem to leave them cleaner. She must have very fast-growing nails? I have one guy who absolutely does not know where his claws are or what he's doing with them, so if his claws are sharp I can get hurt. But if I clip them once a week it just feels like a paw massage when he kneads me. . .even after he's scratched the post (the "sharpening" effect of scratching a post isn't immediate). Even if hers grow quickly, twice-a-week clippings should do the job.

If you think you could condition her to accept it, a Dremel would leave her nails nice and rounded. I do know people who use them on cats but I have never attempted it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 The only physical thing I would do ... is to tap him on the nose as a cat would. But this must be almost simultaneous with the bad action, or he will not associate the two. And I say a tap, that is all it should be, accompanied by a hiss or growl. He will learn.

Yeah. This advice is not popular, people think immediately about maltreating and abuse. "Not nice if the big one beats the little fellow".  Spanking children is forbidden by law (at least in Sweden), not even to speak about beating.  We do usually have other measures, both for children and cats.

But as JennyRanson says, the cats themselves do so, teaching those who need to be teached. Slapping with soft paw for misbehaving friends, courting studs, and family members. Slapping with open nails and clawing  enemies or  hostile or if afraid for real.

So. We dont go out with this as our official recommendation. 

But if desperate - sure.  A tap with a finger... Better this cat natural teaching as our last resort than - say declawing.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have also noticed that older cats will sometimes just put their paw on an unruly younger cat's head. . .not swatting them, just placing it there, maybe pushing away a little. Usually accompanied by a hiss. I've tried this with varying success. Might help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is going to sound very odd but I don't want to tap at or hiss at my cat... 

So far I've done cat things, that cat's would do favorably. Such as touching my nose to her nose, then she usually keeps brushing across my face. 

Putting my forehead to her forehead and rubbing a little.

Pet her often.

I'll meow at her and she meow's back and it's a little meow fest for a bit, but she's usually very quiet. 

I allow her to lick my hands, arms, and forehead. 

She allows me to pet her stomach, belly whenever I want, she has never hissed or tried to get away from me when I do this she very much enjoy's it.

She flops down wherever I am for attention. 

Essentially right now she trusts me COMPLETELY. 

I'm afraid that I started tapping at her or hissing at her that would not be to either of our benefit. Granted she didn't get all mad at me when I used the spray bottle she was more wary of that, then she was of me. But if I hissed at her to try to coach her that way, couldn't that potentially make her a little wary of me? I LOVE her trusting me 100%, I don't want to lose that. 

For the record at this point I will not be declawing my cat, you guys can quit commenting on that part, now I just want suggestions on how I can redirect her... 

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats are rather feral, none of them is fully tame, but hissing or tapping top of head has not caused any distrust, they understand it as parental advising thing, even growling seem to be ok, that is if nothing else works, like when they try to steal my tun sandwich by reaching it with their claws.

They might be startled a moment, but very quickly in matter of days learn that it is thing not to do and instead cuddle on my leg and try to be so sweet that I could not resist urge to give them some tuna :lol3:

But tapping, needs to be fast but not powerful.

Most crazy one is such that sometimes he is needed to be pushed away gently, just open palm on top of his head and gently pushing away, after few times he understand to leave some space.

Expressing that you are hurt clearly and audible, supporting by trying to move away is probably what is good to start with, clear suprising reacting with bit loudly is what makes cat understand that it hurts.

Also if you raise your hand palm towards him is telling him that it is better to stop or there are consequences, that is what cats of 'equal rank' do when playing gets too rough to their liking, they turn to their side, make loud noise and put paw up, oh and then staring to eyes.

I like also from idea to turn cat so that his back is against you and controlling with gentle method, that way there is nothing negative for him to face.

One has to remember that in all the cuteness, cat is predatory beast that is top of the food chain, any dispute in cat world is solved with some form of violence or threats, so that is language they understand most easily, it is natural for them, however it is possible to redirect attention to something that they like even more and that provides too great results, but it is not quite so easy to do always and some may be bit stubborn for that, depends of course from cat. So even we humans think something cruel in cat world it is nice, for example when two cats get to rest, one might grab other one from neck and bite, quite hard actually so that other is getting audible and puts his claws to biters face, to make him stop, still they both like it as sign of affection and soon sleep in one ball of fur and paws.

Line can be draws however to hurting, so no physical is not required, but it should be done correctly.

One more example of teaching cat to stop some action is to put index finger on top of cats head, saying firmly no and pushing gently down, so that cat goes against ground, there cat understands that action he did is not resulting as nice thing, but there is no tapping/hitting/hissing or anything like that, from my experience even shy cat then accepts quickly not to do such activity and most of mine have come and rubbed their head against my hand, kind of apology from being naughty, they have not got scared from it, but still have accepted to avoid such activity.

But whatever you choose, you must be predictable, sometimes allowing, sometimes not allowing is just confusing, it must be either yes or no completely, with kneading on face one could take policy of not touching face, that is probably easiest for them to understand, same for hair, always remember to be constant, they are much faster picking up bad habits than learning away from those, so even one slip will cause setback in learning process.

Schoo, schoo! is also one well understood word, saying it overly hissing kind of way is more familiar to them as word no, but they will learn to about.

Oh and actually one of young ones of mine that I have had to teach most as he is bit thick headed, seem to be most affectionate of them all now, so it is as it is which kids too, limits are safety and somehow make them trust you more, even it first might seem awkward a bit.

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is going to sound very odd but I don't want to tap at or hiss at my cat... 

So far I've done cat things, that cat's would do favorably. Such as touching my nose to her nose, then she usually keeps brushing across my face. 
Putting my forehead to her forehead and rubbing a little.
Pet her often.
I'll meow at her and she meow's back and it's a little meow fest for a bit, but she's usually very quiet. 
I allow her to lick my hands, arms, and forehead. 
She allows me to pet her stomach, belly whenever I want, she has never hissed or tried to get away from me when I do this she very much enjoy's it.
She flops down wherever I am for attention. 

Essentially right now she trusts me COMPLETELY. 

I'm afraid that I started tapping at her or hissing at her that would not be to either of our benefit. Granted she didn't get all mad at me when I used the spray bottle she was more wary of that, then she was of me. But if I hissed at her to try to coach her that way, couldn't that potentially make her a little wary of me? I LOVE her trusting me 100%, I don't want to lose that. 

For the record at this point I will not be declawing my cat, you guys can quit commenting on that part, now I just want suggestions on how I can redirect her... 
I honestly don't think she'll trust you any less. Cats are extremely intelligent and can usually tell what you are trying to communicate to them. :)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMHO a spray bottle is much worst than a hiss. Hiss is means of communication for a cat - "No - I don't like this, STOP! or Stay back!", while a spray bottle is punishment - and you are the one spraying her still :nod:
Kneading means that she loves you and is a comforting thing for her.... you do not want to punish her for that..... it is not to say you couldn't say "NO" in a way they understand, IMHO.
My cat Bugsy does the same thing to me - only usually at 3am :lol3: I Just put a blanket on his paws where he can do it safely - you can see it in this video:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with the previous poster that getting her a cat friend may help. What she is doing is completely normal, plus she is still a kitten. Other than that, repeated no's in a stern voice has helped mine over time with Cooper who was notorious for scratching me badly when trying to climb my leg to get on my desk. I think it also helps that he is almost full grown and so he is confident he can get to the desk top on his own. So he doesn't need my leg. Jackson can't help himself when he is under the covers he just has to stretch his claws, so I started turning him so his back is towards my body instead of his feet LOL.