HELP! Terra the Cat won’t stop peeing on my roommate’s new chair.

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I live in adult foster care and my roommate is my caregiver. He recently got a new chair to play his PS4 from, and Terra has taken to peeing on it, even if her litter is clean My roommate also has a rambunctious pit bull puppy whom she has learned to tolerate, but doesn’t really care for.

Usually, Terra only does this if her litter box is filthy, but she did it today when it was still clean My caregiver now insists I keep her locked up in my room at all times.

Any ideas as to why she might be doing this?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could have started because there was some kind of scent on the new chair that Terra wanted to cover up, or it could be that the dog was on that chair - again Terra trying to cover up the dog's scent. Or, any host of other probabilities, for that matter. But, the most likely is the new scent on the chair - maybe it had a fabric protectant sprayed on it.

Now, she may be doing it because her urine scent has saturated the chair, so it needs to be cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner to rid it of her urine. After that, ask your roommate if they would be willing to cover the seat with a plastic bathmat with the nubby side up when they are not using it. That would be simple enough to remove and place back on the chair after each use. If the bathmat doesn't work,at least it would be catching the urine, which you could agree to clean up from the mat if that would help make your roommate more amenable to trying this approach. Or, get a piece of chicken wire and place it on the seat. Both of these options are things that cats generally don't like to walk or sit on.

Once it has been cleaned, your roommate could even turn the chair upside down as another option.
How To Remove Cat Urine [Step By Step Guide] - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quick update, Terra recently treated by a veterinary radiologist and peed on the chair one last time while her pee was radioactive, so we had to throw it away. She never peed outside the litter box again, so it’s very likely she waa trying to change how it smelled.