Help Taming A Feral

mehyabbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty new to taming ferals and need advice. I currently have a likely pregnant small female and she is angry as hell. I've been sheltering her probably about two weeks. I had her in a large cage in my garage the first week and the second week I moved her into a small room in my basement.

She seems healthy, has a big appetite, and is using the litter box always. But the problem is she hates me.

I've been keeping her very well fed since I trapped her because I want to make sure the kittens are healthy when she has them. I can handle her but only after putting a towel over her and keeping her head covered.

My current method is bringing yummy wet food to her once a day (which she very much enjoys), wrapping her the towel, situating her next to me, uncovering her face, and allowing her to eat as I stroke her and talk to her. I thought this was working okay until I went in there this morning. For some reason she was just as angry as the day I trapped her. Lunging, hissing, growling.

I feel this is time sensitive. I want to get her to a vet to get checked out before she has her kittens but I feel like I can't do that until she's a little more calm. I also want her to be content with me and her environment before the birth so she and her kittens aren't born into a stressful environment. I would feel awful if she rejected her kittens because of me.

I should probably add that I've done this before with another pregnant feral (didn't end up having her kittens because I didn't know she was pregnant when I took her in to get spayed and they aborted them without my say) and she was so much more calm. I only had her a few weeks. She was definitely feral but at times I could pet her and she would lean into my pet and I think I even got her purring a few times. But after she was spayed I let her go as I thought that was what would be best for her so I've never really done this long term. Maybe she was younger than the one I have now? Idk.

Anyway, any tips are greatly appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mehyabbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the article! Will definitely read that later today. Haven't considered a mobile vet... Sounds a little expensive. :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I don't know - she sounds like a cranky pregnant human, my goodness, but would some low volume classical harp music help?
I am getting quite a lot of feedback that it works.
Can you talk with your vet as to whether they'd suggest any over-the-counter calming products? Ones with tryptophan might be ok for a pregnant cat...
- all the VERY best of luck to you!!

mehyabbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The mobile vet I used was less expensive than my regular vet. You might be surprised.

Curious... you said you've had three ferals inside before. About how long did it take them to trust you?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have actually brought 5 into my house. The first one took a solid year to adjust. Yet he is now the absolute sweetest cat I have. Still spooks easily and hides when I vacuum, but an awesome kitty. The second took much less time. He was most likely a pet who lived outside alone for a few years. He took only 4-5 months.

The 3 that I recently brought inside are taking much longer. Yet, I brought them inside before I moved. Then I moved. I also have 3 other inside cats. So it has been an experience. I also had a large dog who just loved all the cats and they loved her. She recently passed away. It cause major upheaval in m house. We are still working.

The 3 I brought inside, really like being inside. I am so thankful I no longer have to worry about their safety. I worried each day about coyotes, raccoons, cars, other humans, other cats, the weather, etc.... Now they are safe. Things are not ideal or perfect, but I strive each day to get there!

mehyabbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about your dog passing. :(

She's definitely been a feral her whole life and she's at least a couple years old. Still just hoping she can get comfortable just enough before she has her kittens.