Help talking to Mom

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom's orange tabby, Simba, is about 2 years old and is now 18 lbs. She feeds him Iams dry and grocery-store brand wet food. I just convinced her that she does need to feed him wet food, but she refuses to buy a healthier (more expensive) brand. Apparently she has taken him to the vet and they are not very concerned with his weight. How can I convince her to feed him something healthier? The only thing I can think is to buy his food for her, but she has a lot more money than me and I have my own cats to take care of. Thanks for any suggestions!

ETA: Or feel free to tell me that it's not my business and I should leave her alone.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it is a male cat, the overweight problem can lead to tendency for urinary problems. Have you approached her from the standpoint of health issues for the cat. The only other thing I could suggest is ask her vet to talk to her about getting some weight off the cat to save problems in the future.

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm surprised the vet isn't telling her the cat could stand to drop a few. Maybe you could accompany her on her next vet visit and ask the vet what he/she thinks? It's possible they ARE telling your mom kitty is overweight and she just isn't listening to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it is a male cat. I tried telling her about health problems but she didn't really listen. I can try going with her to the next vet visit.