HELP! SleepyPod vs Sturdi Bag

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello all!!

It has been such a long time since I have been here. Over a year in fact. It's been a very challenging year, my husband and I separeted and divorced a few months later (he was verbally abusive, so it's a good thing.) I lost my job, lost 147 lbs (GOOD THING!!
) and was diagnosed with stage 4 Breast canSer (misspelled on purpose) a couple of months ago.

I am doing GREAT canSer wise, tumors are shrinking and pain is MUCH better. (that is a WHOLE 'nother story for a different thread though, lol)

The sadest thing about this year is that when we separated, I lost two of our 3 cats to him. One of them being my baby boy, LB.
I still have my baby girl Emma, who I litterally helped give birth to, she is my little shadow. But Emma and I lost Little Boy (LB) they were best buds. I just couldn't afford to take care of two cats. It wouldn't have been responsible to keep them both.

ANYWAY! I felt like I needed to catch you guys up a little before I asked my question!! I have missed comeing here and plan on being back for good!!

Here is my question:

I have been traveling a lot, Emma goes to the kennel, I need to get a good carrier. I am also wanting one that will go on a plane, because we live in a Hurricane zone, and I want to make sure she can evacuate with me if we ever have to leave by plane, or simply because a smaller carrier would work better if we ever have to evacuate and stay in a hotel or shelter, etc.

I REALLLLLLY like the SleepyPod Mini. Emma is a small cat, 8.5 lbs. I know they say 7 is the limit for the mini, but I think she would do just fine, plus the mini goes under the plane seat. AND she would have her own bed to sleep in at the kennel. Con's: It's expensive. I can afford it, but just because I can afford it, doesn't mean I should spend the money on it. lol

I have JUST found the SturdiBag in a couple other posts on here, I've been reading about carriers in previous posts. I have narrowed it down to these two. I like the price of the SturdiBag, but I am not sure about how soft sided it is. I like how it fits under the plane seat, I like the colors. I like all the size options, I am thinking between the CUBE, the SMALL, and the TOTE. So that is another desicion....Which SturdiBag!! LOL Cons: It's soft sided an she can't use it as a bed at the kennel.

Thanks for your input guys!!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I have the larger size Sleepypod and personally I would not get the mini one especially if your cat is over the recommended size. I have a 7.5 pound cat and I would not put her in anything much smaller than the larger Sleepypod, and even my larger (10-14 pound) cats are a bit cramped in the larger Sleepypod, so I think the smaller one would be too small for sure...

However they do have something called Sleepypod Air which is made for airlines, and I've heard good things about it.
I have no experience with the Sturdibag but others here probably do, it is pretty popular.

I have also heard good things about these carriers:
http://www.celltei.com/backpackopet.html
and
http://www.tutto.com/index_petonwheels.htm

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whichever way you decide to go, be sure the carrier is big enough for her to stand in comfortably and to stretch out in when she's laying down. I use dog carriers for my kitties so they'll have plenty of room.