Help! Sick Kitten !

Ashlo4321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a first time cat owner. I have a 7 month old male kitten who has been ill all day today. I noticed he’s vomited every time after he’s eaten today. Just now after dinner he started to whine a bit and look at me weirdly. Then he started heaving and threw up again. He’s been throwing up his food and some liquid :( we have not switched food or anything like that. He’s been drinking water and was acting/playing pretty normal up until dinner when he was whining at us, which really got me scared. at this time, my regular vet is closed. I know it will be a lot of money to take the little guy to the emergency vet but I’m very nervous because I don’t know if I should wait it out until the morning or if it should be something that needs to be taken care of immediately. This is my first experience owning kittens and I just want to make sure he is okay. If anyone that’s experienced with this matter could give me some advice thatd be so helpful ! Thank you !

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, try calling your regular vet's number and listen to the voicemail greeting, they should provide an after hours emergency number, don't wait.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd err on the side of caution and phone the out of hours vet - they generally will advise you as to whether to bring him in or not. It will likely be a veterinary nurse who answers the phone, and s/he can go ask a vet to come to the phone to talk to you.

Definitely at least phone them and take their advice - kittens can go downhill especially quickly when they are sick.

Good luck to you and your little one!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So he only vomits after eating? My cat Peaches would do that til I switched from pate to shredded and low carbs. I got excellent info from my post about my cat eating wellness core.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless he looks/acts worse, try this----don't feed him anything until morning. Give him at least 6 hours with no food. When you do feed him, give him just a tiny amount. Maybe a teaspoon. If he keeps that down for 10 minutes, give him another teaspoon. Then, if he doesn't throw up, wait about half an hour and give him a slightly larger amount, see if he can keep that down. If he can't, yeah, it's off to the vet. But sometimes an upset stomach can perpetuate itself (he feels bad so he vomits, then he's hungry so he eats more but his stomach is still upset so he vomits again, etc.) and it just needs a chance to reset itself.

But if he gets worse, definitely go to the emergency vet! (P.S. if you call an e-vet, they'll always say to bring the pet in. I think it's for legal reasons).