Help! Sick and fading kitten

Status
Not open for further replies.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My foster cat had four healthy kittens yesterday, march 31, in the morning. They are all doing well except one of them has a back end that is caked in poop. His tail is also covered.

I figured momma would clean him up but I've been checking all day and she hasn't done anything. I don't want the kitten to get a rash or lose his fur because his back end is covered in feces. So I tried wiping it off with a rag, but that ended up stimulating him to poop more and it just created more of a problem. Plus, the poop is dried and rock hard so it is difficult to simply wipe it off.

What should I do? Do you think momma will take care of it or should I interfere?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
lacy2000 lacy2000

You need to clean his bottom with a warm, damp rag. If he poops more while cleaning him, just clean it up until he's all clear. Mom should take over once he's clean. Poor baby!

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My foster cat had four healthy kittens yesterday, march 31, in the morning. They are all doing well except one of them has a back end that is caked in poop. His tail is also covered.

I figured momma would clean him up but I've been checking all day and she hasn't done anything. I don't want the kitten to get a rash or lose his fur because his back end is covered in feces. So I tried wiping it off with a rag, but that ended up stimulating him to poop more and it just created more of a problem. Plus, the poop is dried and rock hard so it is difficult to simply wipe it off.

What should I do? Do you think momma will take care of it or should I interfere?
How is it going now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kittens are a week old today. Mama had a URI and passed it on to one of the kittens. The vet gave us clavamox for mom and all the kittens, but the sick kitten doesn't seem to be doing well.

He has clear mucus coming out of his nose, is thin compared to his full-bellied sisters, and refuses to nurse during nursing time. I also weighed him, and while his sisters are 170-200 grams, he has remained at 133 grams for two days and a night. I've heard stories of sick kittens dying from a URI within days and I am panicking because I don't want that to happen. What do I do?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Terrific! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Thanks for letting us know! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You'll need to supplement the kitten every 1-2 hours with 1-2 mLs each feeding. This kitten needs special attention or it may die. It needs to gain weight and get stronger.

Can you begin supplementing right now? Do you need instructions?

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You'll need to supplement the kitten every 1-2 hours with 1-2 mLs each feeding. This kitten needs special attention or it may die. It needs to gain weight and get stronger.

Can you begin supplementing right now? Do you need instructions?
I do know how to bottle feed newborn kittens, but I'm wondering how urgent this problem is? It is very late where I am (Illinois) and there are few pet stores open near me. I think Walmart may have some kmr or goats milk and I will go tonight if necessary. Just wondering if I could go tomorrow or should I go tonight and start him on supplements tonight?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's urgent. You need to go tonight. His siblings are 40-70 grams more than he is. This baby lost weight. He is also under weight in general and not growing. Please do this tonight!

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's urgent. You need to go tonight. His siblings are 40-70 grams more than he is. This baby lost weight. He is also under weight in general and not growing. Please do this tonight!
Ok I'm heading out to the store in a few and I'll try to feed him throughout the night.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know it's late...but I'm wondering how it's going?
So he made it through the night. I did find him nursing with mom, but I still tried to give him formula. He doesn't really want it, and tries to pull away. I weighed him and he gained only 3 grams over the night. Should I still force him to take tiny drops of formula? I don't want him to breath it in because he is struggling to get away, but I know he really needs to eat. His belly seems a little more rounded, but he still isn't gaining weight like he should.

His nose is stuffy, so I'm assuming that is why he doesn't want to eat. He's still taking clavamox, and I'm hoping that he fights through it but I'm worried he won't make it to Monday because he isn't gaining.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
you can run the shower super hot and sit in the closed bathroom with the baby kitten to try to break up the mucus in the nose. 10-15 minutes.

When feeding-belly down-head up. Yes keep trying to feed-one drop at a time at the side of the mouth. At least you can try. 3 grams is a gain but really need 6 total. Poor baby. Is the kitten warm enough? Sorry I just skimmed your earlier messages so I apologize for missing anything...keep trying to feed the kitten. Some cats don't like to be fed on one side of the mouth. My adult cat will ONLY take drops of water on her left side-never the right side-try that-

Do you have pictures of the little mite?

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you can run the shower super hot and sit in the closed bathroom with the baby kitten to try to break up the mucus in the nose. 10-15 minutes.

When feeding-belly down-head up. Yes keep trying to feed-one drop at a time at the side of the mouth. At least you can try. 3 grams is a gain but really need 6 total. Poor baby. Is the kitten warm enough? Sorry I just skimmed your earlier messages so I apologize for missing anything...keep trying to feed the kitten. Some cats don't like to be fed on one side of the mouth. My adult cat will ONLY take drops of water on her left side-never the right side-try that-

Do you have pictures of the little mite?
Thanks I'll try the shower thing. He doesn't seem cold to me. He's either in the kitten pile or snuggled with mom all of the time.

I don't have any pictures at the moment but will definitely post some when I get home.[emoji]128522[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he squirms while supplementing, you can wrap him in a towel like a burrito, whith just his head out. It may make feeding him easier.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update: He stills seems weak and remains at the same weight. I gave him about 1mL of supplement at 4:00 and will give him more at 5:30-5:45. He is still strong enough to lift his head and slowly turn himself if flipped, so that is a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.