Help! Siamese talker driving me NUTS!

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You do indeed have cute Siamese - I agree with JaneMary. My little YY- (Quan Yin actually but we call her YY and Yin Yin) - also is very vocal and she can talk your ear off. I talk back to her. If she does not see me, she will call me- sometimes she is playing hide and seek; other times, she just wants me to come and talk to her and is trying to drag me from my work. I actually take her to work and she talks to my receptionist, my patients, my nurses and anyone else who comes in. If someone does not talk to her, she asks them why, lol

You seem to be doing all the right things but you know how Siamese are - they can be very talkative!

chichi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had similiar problems with Chichi. She isn't siamese but she used to meow all the time. It got to be irritating after a while. So I went online and started searching for solution. And I found a few articles where they talk about cat talking problems.

They said most of the times the meowing is encouraged by the owners without them realizing it. I know you love your kitty and want to make him happy, but you don't have to have him the run of the house and control you if you don't want to. You are the boss and you can train him to follow your rules of the house. I've read that some cats meow exessively because they know meowing will get them what they want. So the trick is to let them know that on the contrary, silence is rewarding. Try ignoring him completely whenever he meows and giving him attention, food, playtime etc when he is silent. It worked with my cat really quickly, but it may take a bit longer with yours since he's older and siamese.

megmar6853

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a modern siamese breeder. I can give you one piece of good advice earplugs at night. I have two females one of them has a very low nice voice. The other is a monster she screems like she is dying and keeps the whole house awake. When she is in heat we wear earplugs.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have two Siamese and you can ask anyone who has ever been to my home or talked with me by telephone - there is normally always a cat meowing somewhere in my house. We have epic conversations - Tonka, my male, is the most vocal. I do encourage him though. Lexus is quiet unless she is in heat or chasing a bug. She chatters at the bugs and she scolds the birds outside the porch window.

Just a thought - you mentioned that your little boy wasn't quite healthy when you got him ... has he seen the vet recently? Everything going OK with him?

~gf~

roxy_loves_cj

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

I have two Siamese and you can ask anyone who has ever been to my home or talked with me by telephone - there is normally always a cat meowing somewhere in my house. We have epic conversations - Tonka, my male, is the most vocal. I do encourage him though. Lexus is quiet unless she is in heat or chasing a bug. She chatters at the bugs and she scolds the birds outside the porch window.

~gf~
I am with you. I love it when my cats talk. My parents cat is a tabby as is my cj and both cats are big talkers, we encourage it though because we talk back to them and they answer us, and Tigger will even talk on the phone to me. I figure that trying to keep a cat from talking is like keeping a person from talking. I mean they have important stuff to say too, why not let them. He is usually pretty quiet at night though so I dont have to deal with that.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What age did he leave momma and littermates? I bet it was before 12 weeks! usually cats have the sucking behaviors and seperation anxiety because they did not learn adequately how to deal with seperation before they were taken away from the momma cat.
Our little stud bengal wants attention all of the time too. When he sees us through the glass door he cries so loud and wont stop. What I have been doing is when he starts in on the crying I take him and put him in a small bathroom with the light off. When he calms down and stops being noisy I take him out and put him back out in his enclosed patio. He is beginning to learn that all of the crying and fuss is just going to get him in a dark bathroom with nothing to do. Perhaps you can try this with your cat. But bE SURE not to let him out untill he stops fussing or you will make the problem worse. he needs to understand that when he's crying/fussing he is asking you to put him in the dark, boring bathroom and not to get his way. In his mind he'll come to believe that when he cries he's asking for the bathroom and the behavior will eventually stop. Also BE SURE to be CONSISTENT! Don't let him get away with it one time and then out him in the bathroom another time or he'll never learn and just be confused.
PATIENCE and CONSISTENCY!
I came up with this training method by training my horses in much the same way. When they had a bad behavior i'd make them do something they didn't like so they think that each time they present that behavior they are asking me to work harder. For instance if my horse refuses to walk on the trail home (most of the time horses want to run home) I will turn him around and head away from the barn. Each time my horse speeds up without asking I turn him away from the barn for about 10 steps and try over again for him to walk towards home.