Help Sexing Newborn Kittens

klmd302

Kelly
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I have finally managed to trap a neighborhood stray cat who has had several litters. This time I trapped her in the last week of pregnancy rather than trying to wait until the kittens have weaned (of course she's always pregnant by then). When the kittens are old enough, the whole family will be getting fixed!

She had 4 kittens yesterday and I'm trying to figure out how many boys and girls we have. K2 and K4 are not the easiest to see in the pics. I can get some better pics, tomorrow -- I don't want to grab them again today as I've already taken them out for weighing this morning, and these pics this afternoon. I don't want to handle them any more than that.

Sorry for the poopy butt, by the way! :)

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/...s_2.jpg/v1/fit/w_740,h_567,al_c,q_80/file.png

moggielover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1- Difficult to 100% confirm, but looks Female
2- Difficult to 100% confirm, but looks Male
3- Female
4- Male

Edited to add:
Can you take straight-on photos of their bum areas? It would make it easier to determine the anal/urinary space length.
The space between the anus and urinary opening is greater in male kittens than in females. Also, with newborn male kittens, you will notice two TINY oval spots between the anus and urinary opening. These tiny oval spots will be closer to the urinary opening than the anus (just above the opening). These spots will later become very apparent testicles.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

klmd302

Kelly
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! 3 was the only one that looked obvious to me. I will take better pics tomorrow. Mom was getting very anxious because I had them all out at the same time in order to change the bedding. I was trying to go quickly!

klmd302

Kelly
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a better pic of #1:

20180321_182850.jpg

Still not a great pic, but slightly better of #2:
In person, #2 looks boy to me.

20180321_182957.jpg
And this one was a bit out of focus, #4:

20180321_183042.jpg

They didn't like having their tails lifted!

By the way, here they are from the cuter end :) They have each gained ~20g in the last 24h! Go kitties go.

Last edited by a moderator:

klmd302

Kelly
Young Cat
Purraise
I think so too! Thanks everyone... I can name them now :)