Help Seeing Kittens

kristyd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
940F63CD-AB46-4153-B1C2-1CDB8F165F5D.jpeg
We have taken in a pregnant cat from a friend who is currently in hospital having cancer treatment (cat will return once her care is complete) I didn’t know she was pregnant until we went to pick her up but we had already agreed and I have a little bit of knowledge as one of my cats had kittens in the past. I could do with helping sexing, I have a rough idea and think kitten 2 and 4 are girls and kitten 1 is a boy. Unsure on kitten 3 by I’m thinking boy and I don’t 100% trust my decisions on getting it right. Also their weights at 3 days old are kitten 1 125g kitten 2 153g kitten 3 178g kitten 4 199g am I right to be concerned about the smallest? I’ve watched them all feed multiple times but I’m not sure if the smallest might be being pushed out a little by the larger kittens at some feeding times. Would you watch and wait and just monitor weight or when would you intervene?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Easiest is to monitor the daily weigh gain. 125 g on day 3 is a decent weigh, but it depends on start weigh.
Let her nurse when biggies are asleep!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kristyd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Easiest is to monitor the daily weigh gain. 125 g on day 3 is a decent weigh, but it depends on start weigh.
Let her nurse when biggies are asleep!
I didn’t take the starting weights, I haven’t handled them until now as I was still earning her trust (I know how I’d feel if I got taken to a strange house heavily pregnant) and didn’t want to risk her moving them to a “safe place” if I handled them too soon but she seemed to be ok with me handling them today so I will weigh them again in the morning. I’ve got it all wrote down so I can keep track and I have the kitten replacement milk formula ready in the cupboard incase I need it. But I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they’re all fine

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kind of think they're all boys but #2 is iffy. #1, #3, and #4 all have little bulges starting :D. #2 seems to have a bulge and I don't see a slit, but something is different about that one so I can't say for sure.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It will be easier to tell gender in a couple more weeks. Be prepared to supplement the small one. :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So kind of you to help this new mom and your friend.

Please keep us posted on their weight gains. Will you be able to get mom spayed before she goes back to her owner?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to give mom a saucer or two per day of Kitten Milk Replacement. It will provide her with the extras calcium (and other minerals), fat, and protien for milk production. Until the kittens are weaned. You are a good Samaritans! I hope your friend recovers.