Help--poop Droplets?

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I apologize for the nastiness of my topic. One of cats is dropping small "poop droplets." These are small liquid-y bits of poop about 1/4 of an inch in diameter. Sometimes just one, sometimes a "cluster" of a 3-4. I have three cats but I think the culprit is the one who has a farting issue. Could he be farting out bits of poop? I haven't noticed diarrhea in any of my litter boxes.

My vet is closed for the weekend--does this require an emergency vet visit?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they were hard bits, I would say it's probably constipation. But are they more liquid-y like diarrhea?

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has colititis, and has done this albeit rarely. He goes in the box mostly and it is diarrhea. It is like mucus, sometimes blood, and feces from irritated GI. At first he seemed OK, but now acts sick. The vet prescribed an antibiotic, which did not work for him. I am switching his diet which seems to be helping, as he seems to have food intolerance to certain ingredients.

Both cats had flatulance. It can be an indicator of colititis, but you would have to observe the cat to verify. Watch when he goes to the litterbox. The other cat likes to overeat and gets gas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks very much for the responses. It is definitely not hard bits but rather very liquid-y. Strangely, it is not smelly, although the farts are terrible. It does seem to have started since I got a box of fancy feast gravy by mistake (they usually get pate only), although in fact, Charlie seems to mainly like the dry food (Purina one sensitive stomach). He also has had repeated eye issues, which seem to be the result of feline herpes virus. Maybe a connection? Or just separate issues in one poor kitty?

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is Charlie the farter?

I am not an expert, but I am dealing with a sick cat that seems suddenly sensitive to allergens. He started with colititis (gas and diarrhea), then eye infections, then an itchy rash. Antibiotics helped but did not resolve the symptoms. I am ruling out common allergens (fleas, scented litter, diet) and I think it is helping. Apparently commercial cat foods have ingredients unnatural to domestic cat.

I suspect he may have always been a bit sensitive to certain things, but a compromised immune system triggered something and got progressively worse. I was desperate to get calories into him, and it seems like he has an adverse reaction to Fancy Feast and Temptations even tho he seems to like the taste. Petsmart was great and let me exchange foods. Chewy.com has also been good as I try to hunt a good diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, Charlie is the farter (Poor guy--I hate to describe him this way), and I am pretty sure he is responsible for the poop droplets. I examined his favorite chair and discovered some more "evidence" there (he's the only one that sleeps here). I really do think these may be "splatter farts." I have ordered some cat probiotics from amazon to see if that would help the farting--and hopefully have some effect on the "splatter."

Do you have more than one cat? If so, how do you handle the special dietary requirements of one? My other kitties, Ollie and Sascha, seem to be doing fine on fancy feast plus the purina one. Feed separately?

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got various things to help treat the symptoms, but I need to find the cause. So I am taking on any new meds, probiotics and food cautiously...after ruling out the other common causes. Whenever I take cats into the vets for these issues, they check for dehydration, and prescribe an antibiotic and special diet food to see what works. They also ask about his deworming history. They typically want a blood and urine test to check for other causes.

Dry food is left out to graze (the kitten can have chicken kibble or duck kibble, but the sick cat only gets duck kibble). The sick cat gets alone time while feeding wet food, at least three times a day. The other cat gets a little of the same wet food and what the other cat rejects, and he is as happy as a piglet at a buffet. Arguably he could eat Fancy Feast, but I am not going to buy it anymore and his feces/farts have improved.

Last edited: