HELP plz:)

caity_bean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girlfriend and i just got a new kitten about 1 years old from a shelter. her previous owners were cat hoarders and could not take care of her and surrendered her to the shelter we adopted her from. we adopted her about a week ago and we started off with her in her own room (guest room) and we separated her from our other cat gary and two dogs. since we have other pets we rotate when we sleep with everybody so everyone gets love but we also spend time w her through out the day as well. she is comfortable enough now to be free in the whole house and seems confident walking around but won’t sit with us on the couch, won’t stay in the room we are in and when we walk by her or try to pet her or show her really any love she runs away and hides back in her room. she also won’t let us pick her up for more than 2 seconds. she only seems comfortable to give us love in her room. she’ll play with us anywhere but when it comes to any kind of physical touch she is very skiddish about it. it gets discouraging when she does this because we just want to show her love and make her happy:/ i would love some tips on how to make her more comfortable around the house and to help her ease into our home:)

Attachments

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she came from a hoarder, then there is a very good chance she was never socialized. I have dealt with a few cats like this. I found the best thing to do is just to leave them alone. Pets, yes-holding. no. Let her come to you. She will eventually feel safe enough to jump on the couch with you and cuddle.
Don't make a big deal when she does, just pet her like she's always done this. If you make it a big deal, it could make her uncomfortable and she won't do it again for awhile.

Good looking cat BTW.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww what a sweetheart she is. I think it's going great it's only been a week and she is brave enough to walk round the house. Some cat's I have one hate being picked up but will come and sit next to me and very occasionally sit on my knees. But I have to let him come to me. Just carry on doing what you are doing give her petting were she feels safe in her room and she'll come round. Like kashmir64 kashmir64 said give her time and let her come to you be patient, a week is such a short time for a cat to feel totally confident in a new home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caity_bean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she came from a hoarder, then there is a very good chance she was never socialized. I have dealt with a few cats like this. I found the best thing to do is just to leave them alone. Pets, yes-holding. no. Let her come to you. She will eventually feel safe enough to jump on the couch with you and cuddle.
Don't make a big deal when she does, just pet her like she's always done this. If you make it a big deal, it could make her uncomfortable and she won't do it again for awhile.

Good looking cat BTW.
thank you for the advice! we thought about doing this but we thought maybe if we ignore her our bond wouldn’t be as strong. it’s weird cuz she’s completely different than my other cat but every cat is different we will try this!:)

caity_bean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Good looking cat BTW.
and thank you! she’s a pastel pink kinda, unique kitty color!

caity_bean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww what a sweetheart she is. I think it's going great it's only been a week and she is brave enough to walk round the house. Some cat's I have one hate being picked up but will come and sit next to me and very occasionally sit on my knees. But I have to let him come to me. Just carry on doing what you are doing give her petting were she feels safe in her room and she'll come round. Like kashmir64 kashmir64 said give her time and let her come to you be patient, a week is such a short time for a cat to feel totally confident in a new home.
aw thank you! i easily over think when something goes wrong so hearing this is very reassuring!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its totally normal for cats to not trust all at once, and have a particular spot at first. A lot of times its the bed or the couch, because you are quiet and chill there. I recall two posters, the first place their kitty would seek affection was when they were taking a bath. Because, you know, they did the half hour chill relax baths. So this is fine, and the trick is to gradually expand the times and places.

My suggestion would be to have a special noise when you are about to pet the cat in its room, a coo, click or whatever. Maybe also tap the surface of the bed in its room, if that is where you do the petting. Once the cat understands the call noise, and you can use it to commuicate you want to pet the cat in its room, then you can try to use the noise and tap gesture to expand to a bed in antoher room, or the couch next to you. Gradual expansion, with patience.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give her time like everyone said. Let her come to you and ask for pets. I would give her as many high up places as possible for when she meets your dogs (& training your dogs to stay or place can help a lot.)

Besides that you might try clicker training her (maybe on a cat tree in the living room?)

caity_bean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would give her time like everyone said. Let her come to you and ask for pets. I would give her as many high up places as possible for when she meets your dogs (& training your dogs to stay or place can help a lot.)

Besides that you might try clicker training her (maybe on a cat tree in the living room?)
thank you!:)