Help please!

lissy0525

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay. So back in June of last year, I found an 8wk old kitten in the hood of my car. I didn't have the heart to turn her back loose so I adopted her. I got her all of her shots, fixed, tried socializing her, etc etc. I have another cat who was about 7mo old at the time I brought her home. They get along. My older one is just a diva and gets jealous lol ANYWAY, I have had her for 9 months now and she still will not come out of hiding except occasionally when my son is at preschool and I'm the only one home. Occasionally she will rub on me and let me pet her. Other than that, she is in hiding. She never cleans herself so she's dirty and greasy constantly. She darts from hiding spot to hiding spot. She never purrs. She can hardly meow. Not vocal at all. She will scratch, hiss and bite if you try to get her out of hiding. My fiancé has been trying to work with her as well as I have for nine months now. She bit him this morning and he's in the hospital right now bc it's infected already. I don't get it. Is there any hope for her? I'm sitting on the floor and she just came up to me and is rubbing her face on me and letting me pet her but if I try to approach her, she runs and hisses. I just don't get it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lissy0525

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and when she does let me pet her, she's so awkward. She rubs her face on me so hard that her mouth opens and it's like she runs me with her teeth lol I'm so lost on what to do.

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a lot of nervous/stress related behavior. Has she always been this way since you have taken her in? I've taken many cats in from outside, some never really get over their fear or stress of people. Some prefer to have their space and be left alone. I know it's hard, but the best thing you can do is not push her into things she is not comfortable with. If she is showing aggression it most likely out of fear. Don't try to make her come out of hiding, let her come to you when she is ready. This is really the best way, she will be more comfortable and won't lash out at you. She may have been abused or had a bad experience of some sort before you found her that makes her feel threatened when someone approaches her. I would just let her come to you and when she does reward her and give her lots of attention. But it is really important to reassure her and not force her to come out of hiding or allow you to come near her when she is feeling threatened or nervous. A lot of the biting is probably related to this.

lissy0525

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
eah. She has always been this way. I looked up online how to socialize a cat and tried. Nothing. Then someone said what you did about giving her space so I tried that. Then recently I tried socializing her again. I'm just clueless. My boyfriend has a blood infection and has lined up his arm and is waiting on blood work. He may have to be admitted. I'm just scared that my son will get bit. He leaves her alone for the most part but it's just scary. Thank you for your feedback! I was looking up feral cats and stuff like that and found this page. I can't find an app for it though. Does one exist?

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know there is a mobile version of the site but I don't know about an app I've never really checked! With cats who were previously feral or stray it can be challenging but don't give up, sometimes it just takes a lot of time and patience. If you are worried about your son, you may want to keep her in a room away from him (if you can)

lissy0525

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She must know I'm talking about her. LoL. Weird thing ever. As soon as I posted about her never purring etc etc she came up in my bed beside me and layed cuddled up against me and started purring. Haha She's never done that before and I've had her for 9 months. Maybe she only likes me and no one else lol cats are so weird! I'm not going to give up on her. I was just freaking out because she bit my fiancé and how bad it is. But then again, he shouldn't have been trying to get her out of her hiding spot. You are completely right. She was probably acting out of fear.