Help Please

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope someone here has some advice. My oldest cat, Isabelle is 11 years old. Very healthy until 2 weeks ago. I noticed her vomiting, watched her the rest of the day and took her to the vet the next day. She would not eat.

They examined her, found nothing and sent her home. She still would not eat so she was admitted and given blood work and fluids. When she came home she was on an antibiotic and had lost some weight. They thought it was pancreatis with her kidney and liver levels slightly elavated. She still would not eat, I called the vet, they stopped the antibiotic and put her pill to stimulate her appetite. Still no eating, back to the vet. They gave her a shot of prednesone and some pain medication. She started to eat a little, very little. I took her back to the vet on Monday for an ultrasound and got the results yesterday. Her liver and kidney levels were in the normal range, on the high side, but normal. They didn't see anything except for something slight by her intestine and bowel. The only way to find out exactly what is going on is surgery. The vet did not think this was necessary right now as long as she is eating and using the litter box. She is only urinating as she hasn't eaten much. She is drinking water. I have her isolated in a bedroom so I can monitor her closely.

I am offering her everything I can think of to get her to eat. Should I force feed her? She seems to want to eat but it appears to me her throat is bothering her. I am calling the vet first thing again in the morning.

I have just been beside myself worrying about her. I was so afraid I was going to lose her. After the ultra sound results, I felt a little relief that it wasn't anything critical, but now I am worrying again. I would do anything to help her, even the surgery if needed. The vet just didn't think it was necessary right now.

I am just at a loss, I don't want her to be in any pain or discomfort. Has anyone experienced this at all? I would appreciate any advice.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should you force feed her? Yes, absolutely, or her liver can start failing. Have you tried baby food? Meat and broth only, no onions, no garlic. No matter what, get her eating.
Also, I would take her to the dentist to get her teeth checked - maybe she has something bothering her in her mouth, and she can't eat. If that's the case, once you fix that, she will be fine... The fact that she seems like she wants to eat but her throat is bothering her sounds like it can be tooth-related problems.
Ask your vet if he knows a dentist, if not, if he can give her a dental, thoroughly examining her mouth - he will have to put her under anesthesia.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with syringe/ aka force feed.... Call your vet and get another appt ( if it were me at a new vets or try another in the clinic and get a xray of the intestinal area

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you both so much. I have tried everything under the sun for her, even baby food. I am just so worried. I have a call into my vet this morning. The ultra sound showed that nothing was glaringly wrong, but she is not eating more than a few bites here and there.

I have tried to spoon feed her, she shows desire, but then walks away.

I am just so upset over this, it is all I think about.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definately look into a mouth prob. Not saying that is what it is, but did the vet check there?

I hope this gets resolved. I know how stressful it can be. Ups and downs.

Many

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you know how to Syringe feed?

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies. Yes, I do know how to syringe feed, I had to feed 2 kittens I fostered a few years ago.

The vet called me back this morning and suggested that I follow up with the internist at the specialty clinic. They have much more aggressive treatment for her. I really do think she needs to be checked around her mouth and throat. It is not an URI, that I can tell, but she does seem a little stuffy. She has been through a lot the last week and a half.

Tonight I let her out of the bedroom I have had her isolated in and she walked all around the house. That is a good sign, isn't it? She was affectionate and moving quite a bit. She wanted to head back to the gameroom where she likes to spend most of her time, but I don't think she is ready for that yet.

When my vet has the paperwork done, I will schedule her an appointment with an internist. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of what is wrong with her. I am still trying new foods for her in hopes she will want to eat. She has taken small bites, here and there, but I am hoping tonight she will eat.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is she eating anything yet? What about litter box production? Wonder if she's constipated and/or nauseous?

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had an appointment scheduled for an internist on Wednesday. She tried to eat Saturday evening and when I got home from church yesterday morning, she did not look good.

I took her to the emergency clinic, where the internist is also located, and she was admitted. They did another ultra sound and found a mass in her intestines. She was operated on this afternoon. The doctor said there was fluid in her stomach but she did well in surgery and he removed the obstruction. We will know more when the biopsy results return.

My heart is broken for her, I don't want to lose her but I don't want her to suffer or have a poor quality of life. I am praying she will recover and have some more time with us.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending you lots of
and prayers for a good outcome

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww! I'm so sorry it was something so serious. Praying for you both!

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of the prayers and good wishes. Yes, I am grateful I took her to the emergency clinic, she was in more serious shape than I thought.

I have been a wreck for 3 weeks now, trying to determine why she had stopped eating. Another ultra sound showed a mass in her intestine, which needed to be removed immediately. Tomorrow evening we should be getting the biopsy results, I am praying that it is not invasive and can be treated and she will be comfortable. I just can't bear the thought of losing her.

The vet said that the prednesone shot shrunk the mass enough that it did not show up on the first ultra sound. He is happy with her progress so far, they are syringe feeding her today and hoping she will eat on her own tomorrow. She is not fighting the syringe feeding at all, so that is good.

I am going to be positive until I hear something differently.

Thanks again for all the prayers and vibes!!