Help please with my sick 7 week old

paulam1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope someone can help me.
We got our kitten five days ago. He was fit and well and we saw his litter mates and mother who were all well.
Up until yesterday afternoon he was fine but since then I have noted that he is lethargic and sleepy and also unwilling to walk but when he does he seems to be limping. He has little appetite.
We are from the UK and are experiencing hot weather and he was sleeping in the Conservatory were it was warm (I was out for the afternoon and this is were he went to sleep).
He is using is litter tray. His faeces are hard and black.
Any ideas?
I am going to take him to see the vet as soon as they open.
Paula x

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
black as in pitch black, or were they dark brown? Black stool can indicate blood in the stool and the kitten should go to the vet to be checked. Did he come from a shelter or a private home?

He may have just gotten to hot which would make him lethargic and take away his appetite, but it shouldn't make him limp. I hope you do get him to the vet and that you will let us know what the vet says.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paulam1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Temperature fine, not dehydrated, the roof of his mouth looked a bit red The vet does think he has somehow hurt his leg - no breaks but gave him a pain killing injection. He may just be feeling a little sorry for himself. Hopefully he isn't going to come down with anythong more serious. I have made an appointment for tomorrow just to be safe.
On the way home I called in the supermarket and bought a hot, cooked chicken for him. The smell woke him up and I fed him the meat from a leg so I feel happier that he has eaten something.
Paula x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paulam1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

How is this little guy doing today?
I was really worried about him.
Yesterday he was a little better but very quiet, today he seems back to normal.

Isn't it amazing how quickly you become attatched to them?
Last night he made his way upstairs whilst we were in bed. He slept on the pillow with me and I didn't sleep for fear of crushing him.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad you took him in and that it wasn't to serious-

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PaulaM1

Isn't it amazing how quickly you become attatched to them?
Last night he made his way upstairs whilst we were in bed. He slept on the pillow with me and I didn't sleep for fear of crushing him.
Glad to hear he's doing better, and yes, it is amazing. I fell in love with my kittens when they were 1 day old. Actually, I did the minute they were born. I got to watch Annie, and
Limeny
be born, but I didn't know Mirah was there, and I woke up in the middle of the night because my mom said she got up because CJ was screaming, and there was Mirah! I love them all, and I'm so happy I get to keep Annie and Mirah, and I wish
Limeny
was here to be with his sisters.

nyzki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is amazing how quickly you fall in love with a kitten, My kitten osiris was not even expected he was a gift from my fella, I am more in love with him than ever now, I dont know what i would do if he wasnt in bed with me washing my face or purring OH so softly, they really do make a difference in our lives and iam glad to hear that your baby is doing better