Help please! New(ish) cat behaviour problems.

isha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So sometime in the summer, my sister decided that she was lonely and, while me and my mom were out, she bought a kitten. This... proved to be a TERRIBLE idea. We already had a cat. She's about 9 years old, and, very unfortunately, as our first pet at all, and being orphaned at 4 weeks old and coming from parents of preetttyyyy bad temperament... she is NOT a very socialized cat. Oh, she's great with us: she'll climb on our bellies, sleep on our legs, let us pet her, rub her face on our hands sometimes, purr, show us her belly (... just we can't really touch that), greet us, oh she's a sweetheart. A little bite-happy sometimes, but sweet in her own, wild way. She does NOT, however, take well to strangers. At. All. She'll hiss, yowl, bite, scratch and run from strangers. She will not, however, initiate a fight and simply act defensively against strangers (we think someone kept bothering her with a broom when we weren't looking and that might be part of the problem, aside from her just being an ill-tempered cat and not being used to strangers).

So enter this new cat. He's a young thing. My sister was told that he was about 2 months old when she bought him. He's very, VERY energetic. And also fairly aggressive. When he was sterilized, the vet remarked he's one of the more aggressive cats he's seen (the assistant ended up... quite scratched). This has been VERY bad, as he will NOT. STOP. bothering the first cat. He will hunt her down all over the house and aggressively pounce her and chase her while the other poor thing ends up running and hissing and spitting at him. Now, when they wre introduced, my sister had the bright idea to just let him roam the house freely. The older cat spent MONTHS hiding under the bed. She has begun to play a little again and doesn't hide all day long (tends to stay with me, since she's seen I will defend her from the other cat). My sister doesn't want to deal with the behaviour problem, so it's fallen to me mostly to do what I can to stop it. I've tried EVERYTHING. Scruffing, spraying, hissing, slapping, separating him, distracting him. He will NOT stop. He will usually avoid bothering the cat when I'm around, but the instant I turn around, he'll leap at her. I'm at wits' end and as I am ill I really don't have the energy to be chasing that cat all over the house all day long. Thing is, my dad wants to keep him. He likes the monster. I don't (mostly because of how nasty he is with the other cat). My mom doesn't like cats at all. And my sister likes the cat and wants to keep him, but unfortunately, she is NOT willing to do anything about it.

For my dad's sake, I'm willing to try once more to help fix this problem. Otherwise, I'm going to be getting rid of the cat, either giving him away or just going to take him to some shelter. It may not be the best choice for the cat, though, as I don't know any no-kill shelters here and he's 7 months old, and, as a cat that's no longer really a kitten, he doesn't have much of a chance to get adopted. And most people here let cats roam outside (something we don't), and the few people we know that DO keep 100% indoor cats already have too many. But the behaviour issue HAS to stop. The older cat is simply IMPOSSIBLE to rehome due to her ill temper and intolerance for strangers. And we do love her, we've raised her from a 4 week old kitten. But the new cat is simply making her suffer too much. She's on the defensive all the time, we can barely pick her up anymore or she'll FREAK OUT, she's been more aggressive than usual (and due to the kind of growling and such, I do believe this is defensive/fearful aggression), we can't even trim her claws anymore because she can't stand being held, she freaks out. And the carpets are being nasty on her claws, which are too long and too sharp. And she's so stressed out. This needs to stop. She WOULD benefit from company.... but she just doesn't benefit AT ALL from a predator. Please, I really need help here. I'm willing to give this another shot (and any help to make the older cat less freaked out about strangers would be great. I know visitors to the house would also appreciate the cat not daring them to get closer and then aiming a good bite at them of they DO get close).

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds like a very difficult situation, and one a lot of our members have had to deal with. Hopefully they'll be along soon to give you some tips. Have you tried Feliway diffusers to help calm the cats? You may find some answers in one of the expert forums here, Multi-Cat Households Challenges.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The 7 month old kitten is just an overactive, excitable cat. You need to redirect his energy somehow. When was the kitten neutered? If it is just recently, it will take some time for the hormones to adjust to calm him down a bit. Calming remedies like Feliway may help. Since they are indoor, do you have lots of interactive toys to keep them, specially the young one, distracted?  

Your older cat is not ill tempered, just shy/timid and probably does not have a place (where she feels safe) to run to when she feels threatened or upset. Is there a room where you can put her when you are not at home and where the young one has no access to? In the meantime, since your sister and father like the kitten, maybe they should keep him in their rooms for a few hours each day, while the older cat can roam around the house without fear of being pounced on. 

Do not give up talking to your family about the cats. They are also responsible for their welfare and happiness. The article given by jcat is very helpful. There is also another article on cat introduction in the cat care articles on this site. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

isha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys. It's good to know it's just the other cat being overly active, probably. Unfortunately, since I do not live in the US, products like Feliway are not much of an option. Mexico is a dog country... cats are really neglected in the variety of items available to them. I haven't even found catnip around here!

My sister took a really harsh decision on the matter. She rehomed the younger cat. It so happens that one of her friends was looking for an indoor cat to give to her daughter, who loves animals. Indoor-only, and a kid to cuddle and shower the little kitten with attention. This looks like a great opportunity for the little kitten, who is going to be an only cat and won't get into any more disputes like that. The kid is very happy with the cat. He even gets to keep his name- Dante. He took a few hours to start to adjust to the new home. My sister stayed there to try to ease the transition till he stopped hiding and started eating. He also was comfortable enough to try to steal the meat the new owner was cooking. I'm sure he's going to do fine in that new home... it's better than what we could offer the little guy.

I'm still going to look into those Feliway products when I get the chance. Perhaps they'll have something that will help with the anxiety of the older cat. Thank you guys!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried punishing the new one?
This is an old thread but in the last post, the OP wrote the younger cat was rehomed. 

To answer your question though, IMO, a kitten should never be punished for what is natural behavior of a healthy young cat. At present I have 3 very active and playful kittens. To curb their naughtiness, I copy a mama cat. One hiss from me and the little one understands he/she is doing something that is unacceptable and will stop. It may take more than one hiss but they do learn. 

cat sitter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You could try spraying Feliway to see if his behavior mellows and try restricting his territory to areas away from the other cat and strangers.  

sheryl minns

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Punishing cats is rarely a good idea, and should only be done in extreme circumstances.  Their minds don't work like ours do.  Cats when dealing with each other use warning growls, hisses and light taps, but they don't really punish.  The problem with us is we over do the actions, and end up terrifying the poor creatures and they become quite neurotic. 

Better to use positive rewards, consistent (and I mean over and over and over and over and over and over, etc) behaviour, never giving in to frustration or anger. 

As far as this situation, I have had a similar problem introducing my kitten Gadget to life with Holly, but I have had much experience with cats and I know that the best thing is to just leave them to it and not interfere, at all.  The cats need plenty of space so they can retreat to their own hiding places, and just be themselves.  But we humans don't think like cats, and God made them the creatures they are, so just leave them to get on with it.  The situation above was only aggravated by the interference of the humans involved, and added to everybody's stress.

Number 1.  The first cat was weaned far too young, which made the poor creature very neurotic.  Ideally they shouldn't be weaned until 8 weeks or there abouts.  The mother cat will do it in her own time at about this age.

Number 2.   The second cat was bought.  People selling pets should be registered.  Pets bought from pet shops, ordinary households, and kitten farms are likely to have been born into very dubious circumstances. amd with no licence there is no protection for the animal or the buyer.  The only cat I ever bought was purchased from a pet shop for $10.  She was far too young, had parasites and cat flu, and subsequently developed MAJOR behavioural problems.  I only ever adopt stray cats now, and make sure they are de-sexed, vaccinated and treated for parasites.

Number 3.  The owners above did not educate themselves about caring for their cats.  Responsible pet owners should be careful to learn about the right way to raise pets.  We no longer live in the day when cats and dogs were kept down on the farm and allowed to live and breed and fend for themselves.  Domestic animals need to be cared for by people who are as interested in the welfare of the animal as they are in the welfare of their children.  But pets are cheaper and give you less grief.  So if you don't know how to care for a pet, LEARN ABOUT IT FIRST.   If youcan't afford to do the right thing by them, then don't get them until you can.

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Though the little one now found a new home (hope he is treated with love and care there) I agree with Sheryl Minns that punishing an animal is not good idea as they rarely understand this. Also so young a kitten should never have been separated from his mom. I have also seen that kittens have this behaviour of running after the adult cats also sometimes hissing them. This is quite natural. when they become fully grown cat they become more mature and understand better. Also if the owner cannot understand the pyschology, or cannot show patience and care should never bring any pet in their house. Each family member has the responsibility towards the pet they own. And obviously if we humans desire love, and respect so they do. 

blossomthyme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've heard in situations like this that this, 

GOODbehavior Pheromone Calming Collar Cat 15 In,

You can find it on amazon.com.  I bet this would have worked wonders.  Well, could be worth a try if she still has the cat.

outtiescathaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I remember this cat.. one of my own was like this, but he entered a home with 6 other cats, 5 males and 1 female. Our 5 males were 4 yr old siblings, and their sister, also 4.

The new male, Whitey,(a b&w tux) was very energetic, a terror.  Our alpha male set him straight on who was the boss, but our female fought him.

We tried felaway, which kind of worked, but was very expensive.

We then tried those long toys with wand and feather and made him jump up and down for exercise at least 15 a day, 4 x a day.  That took care of his  energy level.  I noted after, he calmed down alot.

I put him on a grain free diet, but added in organ meats/chicken livers, chicken hearts, garlic pieces which all our cats liked chopped and grilled..his behaviour changed to more mellow.

The last thing we did, was bought Good Cat, which is homeopatrhic, add 1 tablespoon to water bowl, and cat mellows out alot, and easier to handle.(impatients flowers, roses ingredients)

occupy him, let dad do it. get toys that are bouncy that dad can wield back and forth with the buzzee cat.

the older female has excuses, but in the real cat world, she must learn to adapt.  you enable her to get away with stuff, but what happens if a human stranger comes in and pets her the wrong way and she gets scratched? see, many behaviours come out from the female cat which need to change.. and yes you can help.

just my 2 cents worth

gumbiecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Isha,

You could try re-introducing the cats. Keep them apart and gradually let them have smell and sight of each other with a cracked open door - feeding them on either side of the door for them to associate something pleasant with each other. Our cats were adopted from a local cat shelter and although they were roommates, they didn't get along. Boji was constantly chasing Yoda. He still does but the situation has become much better - she has even asserted herself and will chase him. This only happens a couple of times a day - in the morning and the evening. At first we gave them half of the house each, separating them with two baby gates stacked on top of each other. It was aggravating trying to get the gates secure when leaving for work in the mornings. Not only that but Yoda discovered she could jump the gates!  We had an old screen door that we painted white. We took out the bottom screen and replaced it with the plastic lattice from one of the baby gates. That way they still have close contact with no harm coming to anyone. We just let them out together when we are home to be sure things don't get out of hand. One gets the east half of the house and the other gets the west half, then we swap them out every day or every other day to make sure neither of them claims a particular side as theirs. It depends on the layout of your house but this works for us. Now when we get home they will sniff each other and go and check out the other half of the house. After that there might be a few shennanigans but for the most part they pretty much leave each other alone. We have also used floral essences (I don't know if I am allowed to tell you the name) and they have helped a lot too. Now when things get out of hand we just make a loud noise or say "no" and that pretty much stops it. Good luck. Oh and as for not getting adopted at 7 months old, we adopted ours last October and they are both 6 years old. You would be surprised at how many people there are out there who will take an "older" cat!

art4life

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so very sorry to here about this troublesome situation. I have a similar older kitty, found on the street and I adopted him. He subsequently adopted my house mate (she lived upstairs so we were in to different living spaces) a tiny rescued baby kitty...she fit in my hand...her name is Promise...and would go upstairs to visit. the temperment of Raqual is very sweet and loving he inevitably adopted the kitty and raised it...which I eventually adopted.The two are very happy together 12 years later!  But Raqual is very...once years ago I was housing a member of the same litter as Promise for a neighbor for a day... just older and he wouldn't have her in his home!  But cats will be cats and their temperament is a very important issue when problem solving! Males of course are more territorial than females; but females tend to be more of an aggressive hunter in-terms of mice a bird nest etc...

Your first cat sounds terrified of this dominate predator. And it sounds like he has a temperament defined by past trauma...at least in part. For the love, care and psychological protection of your beloved pet...GET RID OF THE SECOND KITTY! Inform your sister, in a loving way of course...that she had no liberty to bring another cat into your shared home with-out your permission. It's a boundary issue! 

Perhaps your can put the kitty on Craigslist vs. taking to the pound. sounds like the younger cat may be adaptable in a more suitable home. Let us all know how this all turns out. d

tiffany7291

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello art4life...i was just reading the same thread as you,,but I'm not sure if you read it in it's entirety. 1st,,it's an old thread from 2011 & the young kitty was rehomed at 7 mo old w/family that had kids. The sister stayed w/him til he ate & seemed comfortable enough that he tried to steal meat that was being cooked....just thought I'd help update you....

lilys mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is what I've found to be the best way to make both cats adjust.  Rub the forehead of one cat and then take that scent and rub it on the other's forehead.   Do the same with the other cat.  Your young cat is just playful and enegetic.  Whatever you do, rather than take it to the pound...please look into either a pet store taking him or a rescue foundation.   Lots of Petco and Petsmart usually have rescue groups that show cats there and sometimes small independent pet stores also will take cats.

art4life

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my heavens...I ha no idea of the context...I had thought I read the whole post. Thank you so very much and I'm so happy the 7 mo old has a wonderful home. I quite new to this site and am just learning my way around. Thanks again for updating me. d

kittyperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have introduced many cats to each other in my home. I have always been successful with isolating the new kitty in a comfortable room with its own potty pan, food and water. The most important part of the process is to be sure that the new kitty can see and smell the other cat by putting in place two wooden expandable gates one on top of another. These gates can be purchased at any hardware or home goods store for $8 to $10. This process allows both or numerous cats to get used to the new kitty. You will see that they are very interested in each other and eventually start touching and sniffing each other through the gate. Eventually, you can take the gate down for periods of time replacing it when the new kitty returns to the room for security. Eventually the new kitty will not return to the room but have found a new place to sleep in the general living area.

This has always worked for me and any of my friends that have introduced a new member to their home. The gates also work when one of your kitties is recovering from surgery or an illness. The openness of the gates allow the feeling of still being a part of the household by not having to be isolated behind a solid door.

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is an old thread but in the last post, the OP wrote the younger cat was rehomed. 

To answer your question though, IMO, a kitten should never be punished for what is natural behavior of a healthy young cat. At present I have 3 very active and playful kittens. To curb their naughtiness, I copy a mama cat. One hiss from me and the little one understands he/she is doing something that is unacceptable and will stop. It may take more than one hiss but they do learn. 
I must admit I'm guilty of replying to threads without looking at the date as well (getting better at checking
)

Anyway, It took close to a year for Kat-Kat to re-accept Pauli s after she was speyed (sp?) (probably 6 months plus, it felt longer)

I just let them get on with things but fed them together so they had to be 'sociable' for a short time

They both respond to my hisses but can still be quite 'naughty' when they want attention/food/letting out which I guess is pretty smart of them knowing they won't be ignored

They are also like a tag team last few weeks since the weather is a lot warmer, one comes in, eats, wants out or finds favorite chair/bed for nap, the other comes in eats and want's out or nap, always from alternating front and back doors, they both stay in mid day (AC is on
)

Last edited:

art4life

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, Lilys Mom, How is life with Lily going? Any Improvements? art4life