Help please! Litter help!

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not new to cats, but I am new to litter. I have one kitty. She is just fine with the litter box, but I don't think I am satisfied with any of the litters I have tried so far.
So far I have tried Tidy Cats multi cat and fresh step multicat. I absolutely cannot handle the dust.y goodness. WAY too dusty.
I tried arm and hammer slide. No can do. It broke up everything into little pieces. Made it very difficult to scoop.
Currently using arm and hammer clump and seal. It is completely dust free, and the smell is pleasant without being overpowering. I have noticed though a lot of small pieces that I can't get with the scoop. I could sit there all day trying to sift out the tiny pieces. Maybe it's because I put the litter too soon and the box wasn't dry?
With those only issues, should I stick with it or is there something better?
●So my main concerns are dust, odor control, clumping.
●Also, how often do you change out the litter completely and how often do you add more litter?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Perfect solution for my two (high moisture high protein diet,so they poo little and wee a lot) is the Tidy Cats Breeze system (my cats and I both prefer the XL). The pellets used as litter are zeolite, the same stuff used in fish keeping, and can be washed and recharged many times — so no matter what the marketing says you don’t have to change out the litter monthly, you just have to change pee pads every week or so. The pellets are great, as they’re not at all dusty, there’s only very minimal scatter, and, ime, absolutely no odour unless you have heated flooring or forgot to change the pad for a bit too long.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use tidy cats free and clean, and it controls the smell very well without the scent being overpowering. I know what you mean by the little pieces. Those hang around in the box until the litter is totally changed out, which we do once a month. There's some dust with tidy cats but not much, and it settles pretty quickly. As long as I'm not super low when pouring or scooping/sifting I don't have any issues with the dust.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As far as those tiny pieces of 'debris', I use a plastic spoon and scoop out just enough litter around them to pick up the pieces. It might take a little longer, but it does help reduce necessary whole-box litter changes. I rarely do a whole-box litter replacement because of this - and, the fact that I am adding more litter nearly every day due to the way Feeby pees (multiple times and fairly big sized pee clumps).

I use Fresh Step and - as mentioned above - place the box very close to the existing litter when I add more, so I don't experience a lot of dust from doing it that way. The Fresh Step has always worked well for odor control too, but I tend to scoop her box at least 2 times, if not 3, every day.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not new to cats, but I am new to litter. I have one kitty. She is just fine with the litter box, but I don't think I am satisfied with any of the litters I have tried so far.
So far I have tried Tidy Cats multi cat and fresh step multicat. I absolutely cannot handle the dust.y goodness. WAY too dusty.
I tried arm and hammer slide. No can do. It broke up everything into little pieces. Made it very difficult to scoop.
Currently using arm and hammer clump and seal. It is completely dust free, and the smell is pleasant without being overpowering. I have noticed though a lot of small pieces that I can't get with the scoop. I could sit there all day trying to sift out the tiny pieces. Maybe it's because I put the litter too soon and the box wasn't dry?
●Also, how often do you change out the litter completely and how often do you add more litter?
i just buy bulk in disposable litter pans then toss the whole thing out every month :rolleyes: no hose access in the apartments i live in :lol: already turned my tub yellowish from using bleach to clean the tub after washing a plastic litter box once so its disposables now adding more litter i just keep around 3/4 inches in the pan always so its add as needed

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i just buy bulk in disposable litter pans then toss the whole thing out every month :rolleyes: no hose access in the apartments i live in :lol: already turned my tub yellowish from using bleach to clean the tub after washing a plastic litter box once so its disposables now adding more litter i just keep around 3/4 inches in the pan always so its add as needed
We use containers of soapy water and clean water and take it all outside and scrub them down in the backyard. It's not convienant but we gotta do what we gotta do.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a&h slide. I've never had a problem with clumping. Maybe it was scooped too early? Or not enough litter. I did try a litter that had tiny pieces in it. Can't wait to empty that box. I scoop every day and clean only if if my cat goes diarrhea or pees on the side. Every time I scoop,take out the old,put in the new