Help Please! Kitten Litter Box Issue

miyusoraa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently got a kitten around 9ish weeks old. She was given to me by a friend who found her outside one day, and we think that she might have been abandoned because she already knew how to use her litter box. The problem is that while she does poop in her litter box, she pees everywhere. I know that it might just be that sometimes her litter box isn't clean, but even when it is she still goes outside of it.
I asked around with some of my friends who have fostered kittens before, and they said that it would be a good idea to cage the kitten during the night. She also mentioned that at this age the kitten would still be in the den with her mother and that when she fostered kittens they'd stay in the cage when she wasn't feeding or playing with the kittens.
I have one of those dog cages that I've put her litter box and food and bed in and I've tried putting her in there but she starts to whine a lot about 5 minutes in.
So yeah, pretty lost on how to help train my kitten to properly use her litter box. Can anyone help?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(1) kittens automatically have some inclination to use the litterbox...its the texture/feel under their paws of a material that they can kick around. This is because they like to go to the bathroom where they can cover it up with dirt or sand. This is why kittens will sometimes use a bed comforter, clothes in the laundry basket or bath mat...the texture works for them, they have the illusion they could cover up after they go. So no, your kitten using the litter box is no evidence of prior training;

(2) I've actually never heard of cage training for kittens, that is a dog thing afaik. Usually keeping the kitten in a small room for a few days without attractive stuff for them to pee on...like say a bathroom with a tile floor, will get them used to using the litterbox exclusively. No formal training beyond this is usually needed or effective. Maybe one of the mods will correct me re: cage training having a role with difficult kittens, they have a lot more experience than I do, but I know a few days in a small room is a pretty common technique, and has always worked well for me;

(3) You must clean the accident spots with an enzyme cleaner or the odor will signal that its an appropriate place to go. Do not allow a kitten on your bed until they are litter-trained, and watch bathmats, laundry piles, etc.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If this keeps up, you might also try her with different litters. Cats can be notoriously finicky about litter. What one loves, another hates.

Another thought, has she been vet checked? It is just possible that she may have a UTI of some sort, and that urination is uncomfortable, and she is associating that with the box itself. It is certainly something that I would want to rule out.