Help! Please help me identify the breed of Mr Bolivia (best cat ever)!

joolesws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody,

My boyfriend and I stayed in Sucre, Bolivia last year for a month and the owners of the guesthouse that we were staying in had the most beautiful cat with personality plus!  One day I want to have a cat from the same breed as he is from as the combination of looks and personality are just awesome.  But the only problem is I have no idea what breed he is!   He looks a little bit Siamese, but he is a big cat.  His features are less angular then the traditional Siamese.  He does have seal or chocolate point markings though. 

He has very distinctive habits - e.g. he likes to drink water three times a day from the bathroom sink and he is a sharing cat (he will share himself between two people if they are sitting on the couch, moving from person's lap to person's lap every 15 minutes).  He has quite a distinctive meow although it isn't high pitched like some Siamese cats I have heard.  He talks quite a bit.  He is his own cat man!

I've looked at Siamese cats and none really look exactly like him.  I was wondering if he could possibly be another breed like Balinese or Tonkinese or a combination of something else?  Any ideas would be much appreciated!  Thank you!

Julia

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Welcome to the site :wavey:

What a beautiful boy :rbheart:

He looks like a old style Siamese which is now called a Thai cat. There are two types of Siamese the newer modern Siamese with very pointy faces and large ears and the old style, traditional Siamese now known as the Thai breed of cat.

His colour is a seal point. It's too dark a colour to be a chocolate.

Try googling - Thai cat or old style Siamese and see what you think. :D

rocksie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I googled Thai cat. Sandy is exactly like a Thai cat. Our neighbor found her abandoned and gave her to us. We found the owners but they let us keep her. She was six weeks old. Now she's 8 months. She has not gotten spayed or had shots yet because she's either sick or has an infection. Sometimes she has a whole week where she's well. But she's very happy and we love her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I googled Thai cat. Sandy is exactly like a Thai cat. Our neighbor found her abandoned and gave her to us. We found the owners but they let us keep her. She was six weeks old. Now she's 8 months. She has not gotten spayed or had shots yet because she's either sick or has an infection. Sometimes she has a whole week where she's well. But she's very happy and we love her.
Its wise of you to wait with vaccination and spaying till she is healthy, but do it anyway,  before its too late - especielly the spaying.    I suppose you were to the vet with her and her health problems?

What advices did you got?   Had you researched on what food or other tricks will perhaps make her better?

Say, addition of probiotics or L-lysine may sometimes do marvels.

You perhaps want to start your own thread about this in the Health Forum.

Re her breed.

Now, we cant know what she is.  Unless her foregoing owners did knew for sure, and told you.

its not probable she is purebred.

With points there is a interesting trick of nature.  Their parents doesnt need to be at all themselves points.

They can in fact, have whatever looks. Be either moggies or purebreds of some breed.

It is enough if they are carriers of the point gene.

Both mom and dad must give this gene to the kitten - and voilá!  we get our pointed kitten.   Not so seldom a look alike of a siamese old type.   If the kitten happens to be longhaired, so perhaps a look alike to a ragdoll...

Anyhow, its apparently both she and you were lucky in this, it become a win - win situation.

@Joolesws

Good luck!

rocksie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you,
We took Sandy to the vet numerous times...cost us way over $1,000 already. She is taking L-lysine and had probiotics. I think it's helping but now she's having a problem with eye infections. She also has a bad heart murmur, but doesn't act like it. We just love this little cat. There's something special about her. I'm new to this site so just learning now to use it.