Help please! Having trouble medicating Mackerel! D:

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey Guys, I know there's an article on this in the FAQ, but I'm desperate. D:

Mackerel is currently on two pills and two pastes a day. The pastes are fine, but the pills are so hard for us. D:

I've tried all the different ways i could think of-

If I grind them up in her food she doesn't eat the food.
If I give her the pill by holding her and putting it in her mouth and stroking her throat she gets very very stressed- to the point where she's foaming at the mouth and very angry with me... and because of her current level of anaemia I'm worried about heart failure.

She doesn't eat them if I wrap them up in butter or cream cheese or ham or cheddar cheese.

The best way up until now has been to crush them and mix them with a little milk (she doesn't have a reaction to dairy, and loves milk so I figure that's the best liquid to use.) and then syringe it into her mouth.

That worked well for the week and a bit that she's been taking the pills, but the last few days it's been getting more... well. She knows what's coming when I pick her up now and it breaks my heart to have her react that way to me. I try and break up the meds with pleasant things as well but it doesn't seem to work very well. -sigh-

In terms of actually taking the medication, she's picked up the trick of not swallowing. -sigh- That means that most of it dribbles out of her mouth, no matter how slowly I give her the milk. She also gags quite a lot- again, no matter how slowly I give it to her. My vet nurse friend says that she is making herself sick because she doesn't like the taste.

I really just don't know what to do. -sigh- She's going to be on these pills for the rest of her life, and we need to find some way to do this... a little more peacefully, and to make sure that she gets all of her meds.

EDIT: Thanks guys, I've just found this site as well:

http://www.vasg.org/long_term_cat_me...nistration.htm

Looks like a great resource for medicating techniques.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I can tell you is to have a vet tech give Mackerel her meds. Luna is the only 1 we have that will take a medicine with no trouble.
Lynxx
would foam at the mouth, spit his medicine all over himself, and fight us. The only way we could get a med down his throat was to take him to the vet. Midnight's even worse, he doesn't foam at the mouth (much) but he'll spit the medicine out in our faces. He even fights the vet techs. My grandfather would bring them to the vet for us, if we couldn't get them there ourselves.

Or you could try a cat bag, I know a few people on here use them, and it works for them.

Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've heard about pill guns, pill packets... but not a cat bag? What is a cat bag? lol

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When i had to give Sophie a paste in a syringe for an upset tummy a few years ago, i got down behind her on my knees with her in the V of my legs. I put my left hand on her chest and gently opened her mouth with my fingers, then gave her the paste with my right hand. That way she couldn't wriggle away from me

Do the same with the pills, then gently rub her throat so she'll swallow

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got my Drs Foster and Smith catalog yesterday. Its called a Klaw Kontrol Bag. You zip your kitty up in it with his head out. You can clip claws that way, just exposing one paw at a time. Can also be used as a carrier.

FWIW, I always find pills easier. Do you have Pill Pockets? I have used two or three to break up a larger pill and put a tiny piece in each pill pocket. Mine love pill pockets, so I pretend I am trying to take it away and they scarf it down even quicker!

I hear your pain over medicating.....with a dog you toss the pill in the air and he catches it and wolfs it down.

Can any of the meds be turned into topicals?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Carolina posted a video recently of Bugsy and the cat bag. She uses it for medicating him. I know she's on YouTube, but I don't know what her user ID is, but you could inbox her and get the info.

Found the thread! http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ighlight=bugsy I don't remember or not, but she may even have a link to the cat bag in one of her posts on that thread.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also see if there is a compounding pharmacy near that will make the meds into cat treats. I did that with one of my cats years ago. They had about 4 flavors to choose from and let me take "blanks" home to see which ones my cat would like.

Good luck!!!!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Carolina posted a video recently of Bugsy and the cat bag. She uses it for medicating him. I know she's on YouTube, but I don't know what her user ID is, but you could inbox her and get the info.

Found the thread! http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ighlight=bugsy I don't remember or not, but she may even have a link to the cat bag in one of her posts on that thread.
Hi, I have 2 videos using the bag - one for medicating Bugsy, and one for force-feeding Lucky... It is a LIFE-SAVER. For medicating, also get at Pill popper. You will see on the video... Bugsy got used to it as he has been taking medication for a while, but I had success with the bag from day one. It completely takes the stress out of medicating - from me, and from the kitty. It gives you full control, and something that would take minutes, takes just seconds - putting it simply, it saved my relationship with Bugsy.
Without further ado, here are the videos. For those who debate "Oh, but Bugsy is used to it", watch Lucky's video - that is the first time around of her being bagged, and her first time being force-fed. Also she HATES wet food.
BUY a cat bag, and a pill pocket. I HIGHLY recommend the one mentioned above by another member - Klaw Kontrol - it is not the best in longevity, but definitely the one the kitties are most comfortable in it. Amazing, amazing bag. The one that lasts the longest is the one I am using in the video - it is called "The Cat Sack".
Video #1 - medicating Bugsy: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225588

Video # 2: Force feeding Lucky: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227858

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, does she like cat treats at all? Because that's basically what pill pockets are (made by Greenies, available in pet store). I give them as treats to all the cats, so they are used to them. Mickey gobbles his pills right up in these things, since he thinks they're treats. Giving everyone a treat at the same time helps avoid suspicion here. And yes, they do get suspicious!

Good luck!

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Carolina- I'm just watching those videos now, but they look good!

I have such a long list of things to try now and to ask the vet/pet store about.

Feeling sooooo much better about it all. Thank you!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I forgot - For treats, I do not use pill pockets - mined caught on pretty quickly. I use Purina Whisker Lickin's. Iget 2 Flavors: Chicken and Salmon. Than I smash one on the palm of my hands (the ones that work best are the fish shaped, flower, or heart), put the pill inside, and mold it over again. NEVER fails. I give a couple extra with it to make sure they eat it fast and don't bite into the pill. Gracie has been taking pills 2x a day for months like this and Lucky takes her meds as needed like this as well. I alternate flavors so they don't get tired. For the "extra" treats, I usually give the cheese flavor.
These are cheap and IMHO work better than Pill pockets when used long term...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jalindal

Thanks everyone! Carolina- I'm just watching those videos now, but they look good!

I have such a long list of things to try now and to ask the vet/pet store about.

Feeling sooooo much better about it all. Thank you!
Honey, one word of advice, and it is probably the most important one: Lose the fear - meditate, calm down before you give her the meds. Never ever do it while you are stressed out... This will just stress her out and you in turn and it will be a vicious cycle.
I promise you, you CAN do it, and you both will get through it - you will be alright

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Carolina - just finished watching those vids.. what's the long syringe thing you use with Bugsy? Is it a "pill gun" or a "pill popper" or whatever they're called? XD

Mackerel seems to have a really sensitive gag reflex, I think, after looking at you syringe feeding Lucky. If I put anything on the roof of her mouth at all she gags.
I don't know if I'm doing it right- seeing a video was very helpful.

I think buying one of those bags is definitely in order! Until then I guess I'll try wrapping her up in a towel or something. I'll definitely be getting some bigger gauge syringes- the ones I have now are 3ml syringes, and I only have two so it's a long, drawn out process. x.o

Bugsy is so good at taking his medication! Hopefully Mackerel and I can be like that soon.

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Honey, one word of advice, and it is probably the most important one: Lose the fear - meditate, calm down before you give her the meds. Never ever do it while you are stressed out... This will just stress her out and you in turn and it will be a vicious cycle.
I promise you, you CAN do it, and you both will get through it - you will be alright
Thanks Carolina.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jalindal

@Carolina - just finished watching those vids.. what's the long syringe thing you use with Bugsy? Is it a "pill gun" or a "pill popper" or whatever they're called? XD

Mackerel seems to have a really sensitive gag reflex, I think, after looking at you syringe feeding Lucky. If I put anything on the roof of her mouth at all she gags.
I don't know if I'm doing it right- seeing a video was very helpful.

I think buying one of those bags is definitely in order! Until then I guess I'll try wrapping her up in a towel or something. I'll definitely be getting some bigger gauge syringes- the ones I have now are 3ml syringes, and I only have two so it's a long, drawn out process. x.o

Bugsy is so good at taking his medication! Hopefully Mackerel and I can be like that soon.
Hi there! Here is the pill popper (pet piller) used in the video and the one I like the most: Pet Piller
Bugsy has a very strong gag reflex too, but this one is thin and flexible, allowing me to place the pill all the way on the back of his throat behind his taste buds, eliminating the risk of gagging. It is excellent!

Also, the best, and cheapest place to buy the bag, that I found so far, is this one (don't pay too close attention to shipping - in the end it was just around $5: http://www.cspecialties.com/contents/en-us/d54.html
I bought it from there and saved a bunch! The shipping showed expensive, but even with the high shipping, it was still cheaper than the other places. To my surprise, that was online only - they only charged me what the shipping cost actually was, which was under $5.00.

Hope it helps!

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much Carolina! The shipping might be a little different for me in Australia.... and in fact, yes, wow. XD Haha. $105.60. I shall check Amazon or something, I think. lol.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My method:

For pilling, I advise this: use a dot of something soft and wet s/he likes. You can try mayonnaise, yogurt, even a little soft butter or cream cheese. Just a drop will do. Make sure you have everything ready, in a bowl is good. Pill, and spoon with a little mayonnaise (or whatever)

Use the holding position. Kneel on the floor with your feet crossed behind you, hold kitty between your knees facing out. S/he will try to back away and will not be able to.

With cat in holding position (as described above), put a dot of the mayo (or whatever) on kitty's mouth to keep her busy and to get the saliva flowing (so the pill doesn't stick).

While kitty is licking her mouth, hold pill in one hand, pry open mouth with other, poke pill in, toward side of mouth and as far back as you can.

You can let go of her mouth at this point, but keep a hand on her to keep her still while you get another bit of yogurt (or mayo or...) on your finger and put a dot on her nose and mouth. She will lick off the yogurt and swallow, pill and all.

this can work with liquids too.

I make it sound easier than it is, at first. It does take practice. And you have to approach it with confidence, kitty will sense if you are hesitant. But once you master this method you'll be able to pill any cat, any time. I know I can!

Some pills (baytril for instance) are very bad tasting. For those it helps to put the pill into a plain empty gel capsule. Gel caps go down easier too. Check with vet or pharmacist before using capsules, as a capsule may affect the dissolving time and this may be an issue for some meds.

You can order empty gel caps on line.

ps, the wet treat on nose trick works with ear drops, eye care, anything really,even nail trims! the idea is, 1)she associates the nastiness with something good, and 2) she's so busy licking her nose she forgets about the other stuff.

One more PS...Last January I had to start giving Tolly Denosyl. Denosyl cannot be given with ANY food. Now I've been pilling Tolly for over 8 years and it's a breeze but this pill is kind of big and I did worry about it sticking.

So when Tolly gets his denosyl I chase it down with a spoon-full of water. I have a special spoon I use, just dip it in the water bowl and tip it down him, after slipping the denosyl down. For Tolly using a spoon is better than a sryinge, as he is used to being medicated.

(Tolly actually comes to get his spoon of water if I delay giving it to him for a minute or two)

But dry pilling another cat (if food mayo or yogurt can't be used because of restrictions) maybe a syringe or even just a dropper of water would be fine.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by threecatowner

So, does she like cat treats at all? Because that's basically what pill pockets are (made by Greenies, available in pet store). I give them as treats to all the cats, so they are used to them. Mickey gobbles his pills right up in these things, since he thinks they're treats. Giving everyone a treat at the same time helps avoid suspicion here. And yes, they do get suspicious!

Good luck!
I just recently picked these up cuz I was having a heck of a time with Kuan Yin and Hestia's recent ordeal. They are a miracle and they love me afterwards like I've just been so nice to them

I have to give Solomon a normal treat at the same time so he doesn't feel left out