Help on Cat introductions

Yoshicatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so, I have a 4 year old female semi-feral cat who was bullied by my male cat for 3 years. It hot so bad, all she did was hide and run from him. I had to rehome him. She settled down and about 6 mos later I got a female kitten. They hit it off GREAT!! My resident cat never showed so much confidence!. Then I ended up with another female kitten who had been bullied by a dog. She was more aggressive and terrified my older cat again. So she got rehomed. My older cat was now afraid of the original kitten. She loved to run, chase and pounce at her. Older cat hissed, growled, ran and hid. So I did a 2 week separation and started reintroduction.

2 weeks in, very minimal progress. We have graduated to eating close on opposite sides of a screen door and older cat watches me play with younger cat (now 11 mos old) but hisses if younger cat approaches. I have had a couple of play sessions in the living room with both at the same time playing with separate toys. But the kitten gets bored and wants to play with older cat, hisses, growls and runs away. Kitten thinks it is a game and chases, leads to more fear, more hissing and growling and hiding.

I'm afraid my older cat will never accept my kitten again, any advice??

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, you are doing okay with feeding and play sessions but you have to make sure that every interaction is 100% positive. One hiss and you have undone all the good in that session. So you have to stop before the hiss etc.

2 weeks is nothing in time for cat introductions. This could take months. You can't rush these things.

Make sure that your adult cat is healthy. Some times a change like that can signal that the cat isn't feeling well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yoshicatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, you are doing okay with feeding and play sessions but you have to make sure that every interaction is 100% positive. One hiss and you have undone all the good in that session. So you have to stop before the hiss etc.

2 weeks is nothing in time for cat introductions. This could take months. You can't rush these things.

Make sure that your adult cat is healthy. Some times a change like that can signal that the cat isn't feeling well.
She is healthy, she had a vet visit not long after aggressive kitty left. She LOVED my current kitten before, it's so crazy she is afraid of her now ☹

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So just 2 weeks since the separation and start of the re-introduction? That's not a long time, really, though I'm sure it feels that way to you, especially with 2 cats that used to be friends.

Wonder if the vanilla extract trick might work in your case?
Ode to vanilla extract