Help! Not sure if my cat is dying or not

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my cat, 15 yr old female, has hyperthyroidism and has had issues lately with passing hairballs. We got a new cat last year and he sheds a lot so not sure its that or something going on with her stomach. But last night was the worst episode. She was again struggling to get a hairball out and it was half hanging out of her mouth. She was running around panicking and I went and pulled the hairball out for her. When I pulled it out, there was blood on it. And seconds later, she laid down on her side, her eyes went blank and her mouth was wide open. Me and my SO are freaked out at this point but luckily she gets up. We immediately load her in her carrier and take her to the hospital. While we were waiting she seems to settle and the doctor ended up giving her antacids, cerenia and x rays and they don't find anything. Today, she seems more like her normal self. But I'm still freaked out. Why did she lie on her side with her mouth open? And why was there blood? The hospital vet said the blood could be from the hairball getting caught. It's just with how she looked...she looked like she was passing and what people say what happens to cats when they pass. I'm soooo worried.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And seconds later, she laid down on her side, her eyes went blank and her mouth was wide open.
I'm not a vet but possibly the hairball was blocking her throat so that she couldn't get oxygen for those few moments?

Can you try grooming both cats but especially your new boy more, and vacuuming/dusting more. Also try a hairball gel - check with your vet but one type that may work is Nutrivet hairball paw gel.

Does she get canned food? Do you have a pet water fountain? More moisture in her system could possibly help her to pass the hair as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response. Yeah possibly, i hope that's all it was. Yeah, his fur seems like a neverending battle. And will get the gel.

She gets canned food and now we've introduced dry food as well because she's struggling to keep on weight because of the hyperthyroidism.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Did you ask the vet what they thought about her laying down like that? Was she breathing hard? I am not sure anyone will know for sure what caused that reaction - but, it could have just been a bit of surprise or startle with what happen with the hairball. I kind of feel that pulling a hairball out of the mouth is probably close to the same as trying to pull something that is hanging from a cat's anus - you just don't do it for fear of causing some sort of trauma.

I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom about the brushings, vacuuming, and hairball gel. Given what happened to her I would be giving her something for hairballs on a daily basis. Is she acting OK now? I hope so!!

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Did you ask the vet what they thought about her laying down like that? Was she breathing hard? I am not sure anyone will know for sure what caused that reaction - but, it could have just been a bit of surprise or startle with what happen with the hairball. I kind of feel that pulling a hairball out of the mouth is probably close to the same as trying to pull something that is hanging from a cat's anus - you just don't do it for fear of causing some sort of trauma.

I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom about the brushings, vacuuming, and hairball gel. Given what happened to her I would be giving her something for hairballs on a daily basis. Is she acting OK now? I hope so!!
She wasn't breathing hard. Everything was a blur, I don't think I asked the hospital vet but have asked our regular vet and waiting to hear back. The hairball though was already mostly hanging out of her mouth, so hopefully it wasn't too traumatic, she didnt seem to struggle and it was all really quick when I pulled out the rest but yeah, you never know. She was definitely still nauseous afterwards though.

She seems to be doing fine now thank god.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, that sounds scary.

You might already be aware, but hyperthyroidism hastens everything along far too quickly and gets progressively more intense over time, and it can cause some weird reactions. Maybe ask if she needs an adjustment in medication? (Of course the cure, radioiodine therapy, is the best option, but the cost is often prohibitive.)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We can’t really know but perhaps you actually did open her airway. Do make sure to ask about the blood with the hairball. Sounds like there was at least some irritation somewhere. I’d want detailed information from the vet so sit down and write a list of any questions you can think of before you talk to the vet. That way you won’t forget anything. Include the blood, trouble passing the hairball and what should be done in an instance like that, (why was it stuck) her hypothyroidism, her laying on her side and any action you can take to keep her healthy. You might ask for instructions on giving mouth to mouth or CPR on cats. It can be done in emergencies. It’s just reassuring to know how. They are our babies. You may have saved her! :redheartpump:

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her hyperthyroidism is in check because we only had her bloodwork done two weeks ago. I did speak with our main vet (who didnt treat her for the actual episode because we took her to the hospital) and he thought the lying on the side with her mouth open was some sort of vagus nerve reaction. But its not like she fainted or anything, it just looked like she was on the verge or collapse or like the light was going off in her. He also didnt think she was in any urgent danger but said to get her in for a sonogram asap. So we are scheduling that for this week or next. I'm just still so scared. She just lied down on her side and I freaked out and cried, just cause I'm so afraid.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Her hyperthyroidism is in check because we only had her bloodwork done two weeks ago. I did speak with our main vet (who didnt treat her for the actual episode because we took her to the hospital) and he thought the lying on the side with her mouth open was some sort of vagus nerve reaction. But its not like she fainted or anything, it just looked like she was on the verge or collapse or like the light was going off in her. He also didnt think she was in any urgent danger but said to get her in for a sonogram asap. So we are scheduling that for this week or next. I'm just still so scared. She just lied down on her side and I freaked out and cried, just cause I'm so afraid.
I would have been scared, too! I think the feelings you have felt through out this process are totally and 100% normal. It's a scary thing. You're doing a great job =)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I cannot add anything to the excellent advice you have received from all the above members. I just wanted to extend my support and concern for your girl. We are all rooting for her! :hugs:

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok so minor update. She was more herself during the day but this evening seems worse. It seems like she can’t stand for long. She is still eating, drinking and will walk around and earlier she was able to jump but now she seems a lot weaker and like I say, too tired to stand long. I have spoken to the vet and we are taking her tomorrow. He still didn’t think she was at the point of having to go to the ER. God, this is killing me

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible she had a stroke? It's hard to say without seeing her but if she is still eating and drinking and going to the bathroom the best thing you probably can do for right now is to put down a soft warm throw in a quiet place for her to rest.

Keep an eye on her but don't disturb her too much. Animals pick up on our own energy and if you are upset she too will be upset.

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe possible but I don’t think so. She did go to the ER and they didn’t suspect that. It’s not like she’s disoriented or losing balance, just weak.