Help. Not Sure If Foster Cat Is Pregnant

kit-tmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
On Christmas Eve I pulled a "6 months old female cat" from our local shelter under the rescue I am a part of. She arrived at the shelter as a stray on 12/11/17. When I got her I was shocked to find how sick she was (not looking at all like what her bright eyed photo on the shelters Facebook post looked like). She had a terrible URI, one of the worst I'd seen. And we slowly got her better by a round of zith, lots of humidifier time, and suppliments. After about 2 weeks she was finally about 90% better, and of course, because of her illness, we kept putting off her spay surgery until she was feeling better. About 10 days ago, I began suspecting she was pregnant. While she was finally gaining some weight (she was very thin) I noticed she was more quickly gaining weight in her belly. Before I knew it, she has a round, hard belly. And her nipples are poked out, but not very large or swollen. She has nearly no hair at the last 2 nipples. She also was eating like a pig. So I took her to a vet that gives the rescue very basic exans for free. The vet palpated her and agreed she felt she was pregnant by feeling the "string of pearls" and the vet also said she was at least 1 year old. At this point, if she had gotten pregnant the day before entering the shelter, she was 30 days pregnant. Also, in the meantime, I had vaccinated her prior to suspecting she was pregnant.

I took her home, and while I battled with spaying her, I just couldn't do it, knowing she was more than half way along at the least.

Although, between those 10+ days since the vet confirmed, I don't see much change in her, and I feel like she might not be pregnant. But what else would give her a round hard belly (she's been wormed and has never had anything unusual as far as stool goes) her eating has slown down a bit, but maybe not too much by way of quantity but mostly how much she eats at one time, but probably not quite as much overall (hard to tell because I always out out a lot of wet food for her just in case) her nipples have not changed either. Still poked out, but not swollen and not really pink.

Her belly is still hard but it's less noticable on the sides, and doesn't appear to have gotten any bigger, maybe just lower ..

Today she would be about 42 days at the least. I can't feel any babies, but I'm afraid to push on her belly.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I'm considering bringing her to a different vet, but it would have to be out of my own pocket, since the rescue stance is that we already got a diagnosis and now it's a wait and see game.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She has perhaps dropped now? They do with the delivery oncomig.

With a. Small litter the belly is never very big.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kit-tmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has perhaps dropped now? They do with the delivery oncomig.

With a. Small litter the belly is never very big.
But how about the nipples? I thought for sure I'd see those changing more than what they have?

kit-tmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And I just held her on my lap to clean her eye boogies, and when she popped off, I notice my pants have a small spot of wet on them. No foul smell. If anything a bit like urine.

My biggest concern if she isn't pregnant, I wonder if there's anything else I should worry about. She goes potty pretty normal. If anything, it's more frequent smaller amounts of urine and a very normal 1 stool a day.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nipples arent always clear strawberry red But I do see they arent the usual whitish. Also, the fur around nipples has fallen off.
It COULD be false pregnancy, but my money bet is she preg, and delivery near. Days at most.

The wet may be almost anything - both urine if the bladder is squeezed, or some discharge. It may even be the mucus plug, although its usually felt as more mucus than pure liquid. Thicker, so to speak.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As she is ok, prepare as well you can, do observe - and calmly wait and see.

kit-tmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nipples arent always clear strawberry red But I do see they arent the usual whitish. Also, the fur around nipples has fallen off.
It COULD be false pregnancy, but my money bet is she preg, and delivery near. Days at most.

The wet may be almost anything - both urine if the bladder is squeezed, or some discharge. It may even be the mucus plug, although its usually felt as more mucus than pure liquid. Thicker, so to speak.

I thought false pregnancy also, but I figured it wouldnt solve itself after this long? Or no? I'm unfamiliar with it.

Because ive only been fostering her, and she was sick, she's been in my spare bedroom. So I've lined under the bed with bedpads, in the event she gives birth there which is where she likes to spend a lot of time, and I've also given her a large box. I have a cat playpen also which I might set up now, so that she has many options, and the playpen would be nice to set the kittens up in after they've been born...

Hopefully, I'm over worried and she's just having a small litter and it will go off seamlessly. Thanks for your answers. I welcome anyone else's opinions too

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks pregnant to me... as was stated some cats don't have color change with the nipples... they just become larger and more noticeable. Is there anyway you can ask for an x-ray from the vet that saw her? The only other thing I would potentially worry about would be a pyometra but surely the vet would have known what to look for there and that wouldn't really account for the nipples.

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She looks like she could well be pregnant to me. When my rescue kitty was pregnant the way we knew she was about to deliver was that she became increasingly affectionate in the last few days. To the point where the cat who at first would run away if I tried to pet her suddenly wouldn't leave my side and the second I sat down was snuggled up with me. Then the day she gave birth she disappeared for a little while before reappearing in the nesting box I had laid out for her and had already delivered one of her 5 kittens. They are 7 months old now!

Attachments

kit-tmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She looks pregnant to me... as was stated some cats don't have color change with the nipples... they just become larger and more noticeable. Is there anyway you can ask for an x-ray from the vet that saw her? The only other thing I would potentially worry about would be a pyometra but surely the vet would have known what to look for there and that wouldn't really account for the nipples.
The vet (banfield, which is in the petsmart stores by me) doesn't have x-rays. :-( if im still questioning after this week, I will try asking the rescue if I can bring her to a different vet, or just pay for it myself. I was just in with her, and her belly is definitely prominent, just not from the sides, especially when she lays down. It's all in her tummy, but not too low yet. I guess I expected it to be rounded from the sides more

kit-tmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She looks like she could well be pregnant to me. When my rescue kitty was pregnant the way we knew she was about to deliver was that she became increasingly affectionate in the last few days. To the point where the cat who at first would run away if I tried to pet her suddenly wouldn't leave my side and the second I sat down was snuggled up with me. Then the day she gave birth she disappeared for a little while before reappearing in the nesting box I had laid out for her and had already delivered one of her 5 kittens. They are 7 months old now!
Wow your baby sure was pregnant :-) how cute! Was that right before she gave birth? I wish I could tell by the affection, but ever since I brought her home on December 24, she's been super affectionate. I have a camera in the room I keep her in, and the only change in behavior is that she's been playing with toys a tiny bit the past couple of days, and I had never seen her play at all previously.

kit-tmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still nothing, and no change. Going to consider trying to get her an ultrasound to confirm....

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She looks pregnant to me. How is she now? Did you get an ultrasound?

kit-tmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again all,

Yes she is pregnant for sure. I had an ultrasound done this past Saturday. A friend of mine who knows a vet was nice enough to arrange for him to bring a portable machine to my house. The quality wasn't the greatest but he was certain that she has at least 2 babies, possibly 3... Now it's a waiting game. I hope that they are born healthy, I still worry since I vaccinated her when my rescue group pulled her from the shelter, prior to realizing she was pregnant.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, let's hope the babies will be okay. What vaccines did mom get?

kit-tmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both rabies and fvcrp ... Rabies was within days of her becoming pregnant (from my assumed timeline) so I thought for sure that would cause miscarriage... So hopefully it's a good sign that they've survived thus far

kit-tmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
another update - mom was having a bit of discharge last night - nothing alarming though - normal, or if anything, urine?? Maybe they are pressing on her bladder. No more this morning. I'm thinking she will have the babies next week! The latest she can go is sometime between February 10-14. She is still eating a good amount, and isn't really nesting yet either. I also have not been able to see or feel the babies. But her nipples are slowly filling with milk already, or at least i'm assuming, since they were a bit crusty yesterday.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All sounds normal. Just let Mother Nature take her course. :)

kit-tmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again - so when i got home from work yesterday, i saw she had vomited a pretty large amount. Didn't think much of it, it happens. But when I woke this morning, i found 4-5 more piles overnight. Then she threw up again while i was with her... and just now threw up (I'm at work but i have a camera in her room)

other than throwing up, she is completely normal - playing, wants to eat and drink - doesn't seem nauseous or lethargic. I'm waiting to hear back from the head of my rescue group, and see if a vet visit is approved. Anyone have experience with this? Is this something I should be taking her to the vet for?