Help! No Idea On The Due Date

kristyd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

This isn’t the first time I’ve had a pregnant cat but it’s the first time I have no idea on the due date or the cats general personality. We adopted a pregnant cat last week, the shelter we got her from really weren’t helpful they just wanted rid of her I think, it was a private house kinda place (we thought it would be nicer conditions than the rspca) turned out they don’t know as much about cats as we hoped they would. All they said was “she’s due any day now” So we took her home, this was last Thursday and rather than stress her out our vet kindly came round to give her the once over and also said she was very close to giving birth but couldn’t estimate very well without scans or bleed tests that she didn’t think was very necessary at this point.

So she’s settled in, she seems happy, but I’m wondering if anyone can give us an idea. I noticed some colostrum leaking Monday afternoon, we’ve been seeing and feeling the kittens move very big wave like movements since Friday/Saturday other than this she seems to have taken a liking to our landing at the top of the stairs so I’ve put her a basket, a litter tray, her food and fresh water all within close proximity and she hasn’t moved from the landing for 36 hours she’s not been in the basket either she just likes the carpet ‍♀

Today her appetite has been reduced, previously she’s been eating 5/6 pouches a day, scoffing them like there’s no tomorrow, today she’s not even finished 2 yet!

Am I right in thinking we can expect the kittens to make an appearance quite soon?

I’ve got towels, scissors, scales, kitten formula and bottles etc at the ready, I know I’ve got everything I need should she run into difficulty or reject them, she looks like she’s quite a small cat, just a huge tummy, and the vet estimated her at around 1 year. Here she is she seems to like my other older cat in close proximity to her and purrs at her and cuddles up to her but I’ve kept her away for the last few days, this was Saturday.
7D10339D-FB42-4450-BF89-AE2F2CF5B6A5.jpeg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has she dropped?

Yeah the waiting game is nerve consuming!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kristyd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has she dropped?

Yeah the waiting game is nerve consuming!
Maybe a little bit, it’s difficult to tell seen as we haven’t had her that long, but she does seem to be carrying a bit lower now than what she was when we first brought her home.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok so its near now. We cant know the exact hour though.

You wrote scissors Dont use sharp scissors to cut off the "tube" wait some or use your nails.
[cord]

Last edited:

kristyd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so its near now. We cant know the exact hour though.

You wrote scissors Dont use sharp scissors to cut off the "tube" wait some or use your nails.
Thankyou! The vet gave me these scissors for the last time I had a pregnant cat but that was a while ago, they look a bit like plastic fingernail scissors, but if I can use my nails it would be so much easier! I forgot gloves off my list too I’ve got some powdered latex free ones just incase. Thankfully my last cat did it all by herself I just watched her just incase so hopefully this one will too we have no idea if this is her first, the vet couldn’t tell, we don’t really know anything about her.

I thought she was close, but then thought I might have been going a bit crazy! I’ll just keep checking on her now and again and hopefully it will all be over soon, the hot weather doesn’t seem to be helping her so she’s got a fan on close by this morning to try and cool the room for a little while

kristyd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just thought I’d post an update... still no sign of the kittens, she’s just still a very pregnant fat and lazy cat. But kitten movements are good and I don’t have any concerns so it’s just the waiting game