Help! Newborns Not Being Cared For

Status
Not open for further replies.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had trapped a cat for TnR and she gave birth! She is not going near the kittens and it's been a few hours. There are two living and one was stillborn. The mother has had no time to acclimate to her space and is stressed from trapping. When we trapped her we called the vet who comes out to do sterilizations (they want you to trap then make the appointment) but she is away on vacation so we set her up in a dog crate and thought we'd just have to hold her temporarily. She's long-haired so we couldn't see if her nipples were swollen- we really weren't positive who we trapped or if it was male or female as there were three cats that we were trying to TnR who look pretty much identical.

She had two live kittens after I brought her dinner. So within the last three hours. They had been cleaned of the amniotic sac and one placenta was eaten. I checked again a little bit later and there was a lifeless kitten still in the sac with placenta attached.

The mother is very very young- could be 5 months old- at most 7 or 8 months and still small. I do have KMR- both liquid canned and powder on hand as well as syringes for newborns. I have bottlefed many years ago but that was with older kittens. I do know how to stimulate them to help them urinate/ defecate.

I don't want to jump the gun and remove kittens that she will tend to but I don't want to cause them harm by neglect. Mom cat is on top of a carrier and the kittens are on the ground in a box with towels. She hasn't moved and isn't showing signs of further labor nor does she look physically distressed- other than the fact she is feral and just had kittens possibly for the first time. The two living kittens were cleaned up enough so the sac was removed but she birthed them on top of the carrier instead of inside it- so the kittens must've fallen to the ground afterwards. I found them on the cage floor screaming and struggling to move.

Right now the kittens are acting lively. They are huddled together and crying but momma is not with them. She's not far but she hasn't attended to them.

I have KMR, a miracle nipple and a pet ag nursing kit. I don't know how long to let it go before I intervene. I know how important the colostrum is in the first 48 hours so I'm really just torn on what to do and looking for advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since it's getting late I've sent my husband to the store to pick up a heating pad and some sharp scissors for the remaining placenta. Momma cat still isn't going near them so I think we will have to try to intervene. It's not ideal but I don't want to leave them with her overnight if she's not going to keep them warm. There is no way to tell if she knows something is wrong with them and is rejecting them because they are already not viable or if she is rejecting them because she is stressed and a first time mom. They have good lungs though and are crying a lot so I think they are strong and hungry right now. If anyone with any experience is on please respond with any advice. Right now I'm watching KittenLady videos to refresh myself on bottle feeding and toileting but I'm still not sure how to warm formula or how to safely use a heating pad with them without leaving it too hot.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! It sounds like you are doing the right things. I would heat the formula in a double boiler until lukewarm and then pour it into the sterilized bottles. If you do microwave it, shake/stir it a lot to ensure any hot spots are dissipated. Do you have a thick towel to wrap around the heating pad?

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have towels. The heating pad's lowest setting is 110. Right now I've layered a towel on it and the plastic bin I'm going to use has three layers of towel. It's soft bath towel folded over three times. I don't know if that's enough or if it's safe. The kittens feel cool right now. I might warm them against my skin until I can get a feel for how hot the bin will be. I'm not going to feed them til they feel warmer.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats' normal temperature is 100.5-102.5, although I think kittens are normally cooler and need heated, so check the heating pad to make sure that you have not over-wrapped it. Maybe you could try putting rice or beans into socks and heating them so that you give them something to cuddle against.

Make sure you have some honey, maple syrup, or Karo syrup on hand in case they become hypoglycemic. Someone just posted about possible fading kitten syndrome earlier today.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was able to remove the placenta easily and both kittens have eaten. One was very eager to eat and the other did not catch on as quickly but I'm sure they will be ready for the next meal which is scheduled to start at 1:30 am. Both expelled some urine after stimulation.

Somewhere in there I'm going to have to schedule in some sleep. I'm not sure how to do that while they are so young and need feedings so frequently. I went very very slowly with the syringe too. Probably slower than necessary but I really don't want them to choke. Everything I do feels like a mistake could be deadly so I'm trying not to make mistakes.

The heat pad doesn't feel that warm so I turned it up. I might have too many towels- one towel over the pad then a towel folded on itself (so three layers of towel) and then another single layer over that. So all in all 4 layers of towel in the tub with them and one towel over the pad.

I worry a lot about fading kitten syndrome and just the fact that I don't think they had any milk from mom. I'm just praying they make it. I don't know about hypoglycemia in kittens so I'll have to look that up. We don't have sweeteners on hand so I'll have to have my husband go run out for some tomorrow. Somewhere I have a scale too. I think I hid it a while back when I was cleaning for company. Now I just need to figure out where I tucked it away.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I think I hid it a while back when I was cleaning for company. Now I just need to figure out where I tucked it away.
Isn't that how it goes LOL

You are doing a FANTASTIC job, as is your hubby - tell him that for us :) Hang in there, we're with you as much as we can be (too bad we can't help with those 1:30 AM and then the next, and the next... feedings!)

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Isn't that how it goes LOL

You are doing a FANTASTIC job, as is your hubby - tell him that for us :) Hang in there, we're with you as much as we can be (too bad we can't help with those 1:30 AM and then the next, and the next... feedings!)
Oh I'm going to have to do something very nice for him. He is a concerned cat dad too and is the person who got me into cats. We've had a lot going on with the TnR and our own cat's health so it is pretty stressful right now.

I'm searching online and I have a few questions that I can't find answers to. The miracle nipple syringe does not seem to come apart so I'm worried it's not getting cleaned enough between feedings. I've been putting it with the nipple in boiling water between each use but the inside isn't really getting rinsed. Has anyone worked with this type of push syringe where the plunger does not come out of the tube?

My other thought was maybe I could try to reintroduce them to the mother. I'd have to wait until morning when my husband is awake so we could set her up in the spare bedroom in a dog crate up there. I really don't know what the right thing to do is. When she was with them she just ignored them but if she could nurse I'd feel so much better about their outcome. I'm acting pretty cool but inside I'm a nervous wreck.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, i agree it would be best if momma takes them. The chance is good, when she has landed and cooled down, and realize nobody is really threating her.
The dog crate is a good idea. We do it in much to hinder them from fleeing. But they see it also as a protection device. Lay something atop the crate so it feels as a hide. And or, have a cat igloo inside.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, i agree it would be best if momma takes them. The chance is good, when she has landed and cooled down, and realize nobody is really threating her.
The dog crate is a good idea. We do it in much to hinder them from fleeing. But they see it also as a protection device. Lay something atop the crate so it feels as a hide. And or, have a cat igloo inside.
I think I'm going to try it. I've already got the dog crate she birthed in clean and she's packed up in a carrier. Now I just need my husband to help me carry it all upstairs. How long should I leave them in with her before taking them out again if she still ignores them?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How long is a good question. Its in much a matter of gut feeling, playing by the tune. Healthy kittens manage even several hours without real care.
But if you are ready to handraise, dont take too much risks. Play it safe and dont wait too long.

Btw, what KMR do you have? Can you get raw goats milk if necessary?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I'm catching up, I don't know about that syringe construction, but could you suction clean water up into it? That doesn't really sterilize it though...
I don't know what you might think about this, I use hydrogen peroxide to clean/sterilize my Hummingbird feeders, that might work here...?

If you're not past this already :) i think you'll be able to know fairly quickly if she's not going to let them nurse...

Last edited:

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are in. She's in the box with them- I made it feel like the safest spot but she's in the corner and the kittens are in the middle. They would be due for another feeding in an hour but I'd like to give it longer. I would love to nap during this time but I'm fighting the urge to keep checking on her.

I have canned KMR that has instructions for newborns and a powdered KMR that turns out to be 2nd step for weaning. So I'm going to need more if mother cat doesn't take over. I don't think I could get ahold of goats milk in my part of the country much less raw:(

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm catching up, I don't know about that syringe construction, but could you suction clean water up into it? That doesn't really sterilize it though...
I don't know what you might think about this, I use hydrogen peroxide to clean/sterilize my Hummingbird feeders, that might work here...?

If you're not past this already :) i think you'll be able to know fairly quickly if she's not going to let them nurse...
After I use it I do tilt the syringe in the pot so that the boiling water gets inside. It never dries out though. I'd worry about hydrogen peroxide too because it wouldn't dry out. Before it goes in the pot I do suction it into a glass of clean water.

I really hope I'll know. I'm so desperate for her to take over. It's taking me 35-45 minutes for each round of feeding/ stimulating. I haven't closed my eyes yet a single time.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I see, you're right the hydrogen peroxide isn't a good idea.

Tell you what, can you set an alarm for yourself and catch a nap? You'll know how things are in an hour, either the kittens will be snuggled up in a pile sleeping which would be good, or they'll be crawling around and crying.

Status
Not open for further replies.