Help - new to ferals, need advice

Mandyvilla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will try to keep this short, but some backstory is needed. Friends on extended stay with a family a few homes down left the area, but didn't bother to take their cat (they took the dogs) This was was around Thnaksgiving 2023. (FWIW, I have offered to catch it and bring it to their new place and was told, "don't bother."

The cat has turned feral, no human contact, but not fearful of dogs or humans (won't run, but won't let anyone close, she spits and ready to attack). She's been on her own now for 4 months.

My son and I have been feeding her regularly. She comes every morning. I recently purchased an outdoor shelter we assembled. We put the food by the door, but not in the house. Day 2, something pissed all over the inside.

I has a washable weatherproof pad - washing it now, not sure if that is the correct thing to do. I hate the idea of another animal moving in.

Field camera comes tomorrow. She's an older gal, she's had it rough, and I want to give her shelter. We have 2 strictly indoor cats and 2 dogs - bringing her in is not an option. I hope eventually to capture and take her to a vet.
Any ideas or suggestions about who is the homewrecker? Is it her?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, welcome!
Day 2, something pissed all over the inside.
It could have been her. Was the food eaten? The shelter initially should have smelled mostly of you, unless either of you petted the dogs or the cats, and then proceeded to set up the shelter without washing your hands first.

Anyway, you're getting a camera so that will help to pinpoint what is happening. Do you have an enzymatic cleaner? I'm not sure if that will be enough to take care of the odor (if it wasn't hers) so that she becomes more comfortable with the shelter. When you wash her things, be sure and use laundry soap with as few chemicals as possible, and if you utilize the dryer, use wool balls rather than dryer sheets.

Do you have any TrapNeuterReturn (TNR) organizations in your area? They may have a trap you can borrow or rent, and can give you tips regarding trapping her, informing the vet she's challenging to handle, and which vet is best to take her to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mandyvilla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the quick reply. We are hoping it was her, claiming her spot. I took out the bottom cover and inside foam and washed and dried both. I used air dry, no chems.

We called our vet and we have to call to get her in the day we trap her. Our next course of action is to locate a trap. We do not want her to associate the shelter with being trapped. You can see she's not overly afraid, but she spits and is on guard. She's an older cat too. Definitely did not deserve to be deserted.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How are things today? Is she more comfortable with the shelter, that you can tell yet?

Let us know how things progress :vibes::crossfingers::heartshape: