Help! New Kitty Hiding In Basement

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a kitty last week. I prepared a room off my kitchen for him to live in while he got acclimated and so that he could be gradually introduced to my other two cats. Unfortunately, on day 3 he ran out of the room and into my basement, where he has been hiding ever since. I am feeding him twice a day and he comes out to eat and is using the litter box, but I have only caught glimpses of him. The storage part of the basement is filled with stuff and so it is pretty easy for him to keep hidden.
Any suggestions about which I should do? I feel so bad that the introduction to my house has gone so badly.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t recommend trying to find your new cat or to take him out of his hiding space. If you have the space it would be good to confine your other cats to a room for a few days so that new kitty can roam your space and hopefully get more comfortable coming out and meeting you. This will still happen with the other cats out and about but it will take are longer and you risk unpleasant encounters between the cats. Even if you don’t want to lock them away during the day, if they were shut away during the night it may help your newcomer.

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What is the basement like? I mean, can you keep it closed so your other cats can't get down there, and just sit down there like you'd do if he were in another room? I don't think the particular location that a cat matters (as long as it's safe for the cat) so long as those 2 things are being done while he becomes comfortable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses. The basement is divided into two spaces, 1) 2)a family room with TV and some exercise equipment and 2) a storage, laundry, furnace room. He is hiding in the latter. There is a door between the two rooms, which I am leaving open, and then another door at the bottom of the basement stairs, which I am now keeping closed to keep the other cats from going in. I have been spending my evenings in the family room and have caught a glimpse of him, however when I look at him, he runs back into hiding. Once when I came in, I saw that he was sitting in the cat tree in the family room (yeh!), so I know that he does investigate both rooms. But when he saw me, he ran back into the storage area. I will try to give it a bit more time. Should I try to gradually move his food and water into the family room to encourage him to spend time there?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses. The basement is divided into two spaces, 1) 2)a family room with TV and some exercise equipment and 2) a storage, laundry, furnace room. He is hiding in the latter. There is a door between the two rooms, which I am leaving open, and then another door at the bottom of the basement stairs, which I am now keeping closed to keep the other cats from going in. ... Should I try to gradually move his food and water into the family room to encourage him to spend time there?
Yes, my opinion is to move the food (and litter box, too) to the family room -- near the cat tree.

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't look at him, or move toward him in any way. Just sit quietly, I usually read a book or nap. Spend time every day just sitting quietly so he can get used to you. He'll let you know as his comfort levels increase.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Find a spot where you can sit, on the floor if you can, near the entrance of the storage area. Sit there, read a book and talk to yourself in a sing-song "sweet" way. If the cat comes out - acknowledge him, talk to him a little, and toss a treat his way. Don't reach out, act startled or really move towards him. Do this for 20 minutes, 1/2 hour, whatever you can do.

It may take some time but he should come towards you and want to investigate more. Also, leave a pile of treats where you were sitting. Once he associates you with food, you should be golden!

If you've only had him a few days, he is still trying to settle into his new environment - and may come out and mingle all on his own.

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news. After spending two hours in the basement, Sasha came out! He was super sweet, rolling over for belly rubs and chasing balls. He seems pretty nervous though. I am going to spend a lot of time with him this weekend. I am wondering though how I can move to the next level of introduction in a week or so. The basement is off the beaten track for my other kitties, so they are not sniffing at the door, etc.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try scent swapping with blankets, beds etc, so the cats will get a bit used to each other's unfamiliar scents.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good news. After spending two hours in the basement, Sasha came out! He was super sweet, rolling over for belly rubs and chasing balls. He seems pretty nervous though. I am going to spend a lot of time with him this weekend. I am wondering though how I can move to the next level of introduction in a week or so. The basement is off the beaten track for my other kitties, so they are not sniffing at the door, etc.
He just needs time to get use to everything. Just keep doing what your doing and he'll come around. It takes time.

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't set a time - wait until your cat tells you he is ready to move to the next step. That is the mistake that I see people make the most often; rushing an introduction. He may not be ready for the other cats in a week. Let him be comfortable enough with you that he is curious about what's outside the room, and he is willing to come out as a matter of course when you're in there before you worry about attempting the next step with the other cats.

The more patient you are, the higher your likelihood of a successful introduction. it is better by far to take longer than needed than to try to move forward too quickly.

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I am trying to be patient, but Sasha really wants to get out of the basement now. He will meow loudly and paw at the door. Charlie, the more timid of my other two cats, snuck in one day as I was going out and they interacted nicely--a bit of rubbing, a bit of butt sniffing, and some nose bumping. Ollie, my other kitty, is the dominant one, so I am not sure how to handle the dynamic between the three cats. For now, I am keeping Sasha downstairs, but I am still unclear about when I will know it is time to try an introduction.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would let him up for a supervised group feeding session and see how it goes. Some hissing and growling and even a slap is to be expected. If the meal goes well then let him stay for a while and see how they all do.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would let him up for a supervised group feeding session and see how it goes. Some hissing and growling and even a slap is to be expected. If the meal goes well then let him stay for a while and see how they all do.
At a certain point in time, you are tired of running two cat-camps and the new cat is ready for a bigger world. It sounds like your guys are ready for that, but it is really a judgment call.

What happened once my guys were ready was that for the first introductions, the resident cat would go right into the new cats safe room and try to show him who was boss - growling, hissing, swatting and boxing, but no real fighting This probably went on for two or three weeks, but it seemed like forever. And then I would go by feel - once it seemed like "enough" I would shoo the resident cat out and close up the new cat in his safe room again.

The only thing to really avoid is to no let the pestering and swatting get to the point of a fight. Closely supervise them, but if it does get there, break it up right away (spray bottle - one of a VERY few times to use one.)