HELP! New kitten and two adult cats not getting along!

kittykat4284

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I'm new to this board and in need of your help!

Yesterday we brought home an 8 week male kitten. We already have a 4 year old male and a two year old female. All three are fixed & healthy. But, we are having a difficult time getting the two older ones used to the new edition.

Here is a little background on the two older cats... We adopted the 4 year old male when he was two. He came from a house with multiple cats (the owner was moving and could only keep one kitty,) he favors my fiance, is an outdoor cat, and was very good when the 2 year old female arrived. We got her when she was a kitten (found her on a step outside our house, I had to take her in!) She is an indoor cat and she is obsessed with me. She follows me all over the house, and even sleeps under the covers every once and a while.

We brought the kitten home yesterday, and the older male went to sniff him but then the kitten hissed at him. The female just hissed and ran up stairs, staying under the bed the entire day. She slept under the covers with me last night, and then went back to her hissing ways this morning when she heard the kitten meowing. Things are not going to well for the new little guy, the two older ones are really rejecting him.

So I don't know what to do. I need your help! I know that this takes time for all the kitties to get used to each other, but I don't really know how to help the process along. PLEASE HELP ME!

Right now the kitten is locked in the bedroom while the other two are roaming around the house.

(Oh, and the kitten has yet to go to the bathroom since we brough him home, he is eating and drinking fine, but not visiting the litter box. Any suggestions?)

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep the kitten separated in the bathroom and don't let the other cats see him. Meanwhile, research "new cat introduction" and "introducing new cat" on the internet. And I believe there's an article in the "Cat Pages" section of this site. The resident cats need to be desensitized to the new cat before they'll peacefully allow him to share their territory. Good luck!!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unforunately you can't "hurry" the process along. It takes time as the animals try and acheive a balanced way of living with each other. Your kitty should be vetted first before introducing him to any other animal, because even if he doesn't look sick, he could be a carrier of something. Has he been to a vet?

here is an article about Introducing Cats