HELP! New House, 2 cats, someone's peeing in one corner!

krissyr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All! I am new to the forums and thought I would write about my problem and am hoping someone can help me out! I recently just bought a house, and have 2 cats, both are 3 years old. One female, one male and they have both been fixed since they were kittens. When my female was a kitten, she peed on our bed a few times, someone told me she's lonely, get her a friend, so I did, and the peeing stopped. So now, we are living in this new house, and about a week ago, one of the cats peed in the corner of my rec room while I had some guys down there doing renos. My female has peed on top of her litter box infront of us because it wasn't clean enough for her, but that day, the litter was completely clean, and brand new. I don't know if my husband ever did clean the area properly, I doubt he did, so tonight I patted it down with vinegar and a special cat stain remover. It seemed like there was an awful lot of urine in the spot, and I'm concerned that which ever cat is doing it has peed there more than once now... I am very concerned, as them peeing in my house outside of their litterbox is not ok with me, but I do not want to part with them. Could this be behavioural due to stress from the renovations going on in my basement?

PLEASE HELP!

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Could this be behavioural due to stress from the renovations going on in my basement?

It most certainly could be related. Is the litter box in the basement? Do you just have the one box? I'd suggest putting another one upstairs while the renos are going on. Stress can also cause cystitis in cats so another thing to consider would be a Feliway diffuser or 2. They release "happy" pheromones into the air that help some cats feel more relaxed. 

windycitymom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1. Get feliway.

2. You need 1 litter box for every cat, plus one, and make sure there's one on every level of your home that they have access to

3. keep them impeccably clean

4. Set up a camera in the spot where they're peeing and figure out who it is :)