Help needed - Redirected Aggression since an event almost a week ago.

elizabeth1st

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am in the midst of a redirected aggression event, almost a week ago..  My sweet neutered 2 yo male went nuts after an aggressive neighbor cat went by the window. He attacked the other resident cat 2yo spayed female several times - once where the attack was serious enough that she wet herself hiding under the dining room table.  I have removed the cat tree from the window so that he can't stand on guard for the next intruder, pulled the blinds etc but the area where this occurred seems to trigger his negative behavior and he seems less relaxed and happy since the major event.  He appears somewhat hyper-vigilant at times

I have read many of the articles related to this behavioral reaction.  How long does it take to resolve and will kitty return to his previous personality?  I am going to get some Feliway and I've sent away for the Spirit Essence from Jackson Galaxy and I hope it will work.  Altho' the 2 cats are getting along OK I still feel I have to keep an eye on the male because he seems to have started a bullying attitude with the female.  He is a big cat about 20lbs and she's only about 11lbs.

Thoughts on this situation...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How are things going now?  

Sometimes cats need to be separated for a few weeks and reintroduced as if they have never met before.  Sometimes they work through it quickly without intervention. It sounds to me like you might need to take some steps and consider separating them.  The Feliway is a great idea!  As is removing the cat tree.  Did you get a feliway difuser or the spray?  I would spray the area where the incident started with the spray if you have it.  Also the cat tree.  Then run diffusers.  

I'm sorry you and your kitties are going through this.