Help needed for diabetic cat.

nekder365

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone I am new to this forum and have always found solace in most of the topics.
My 8yr Jack was diagnosed with diabetes nearly 7 months ago but over here in the U.K.(sorry for being presumptuous but from reading this site i gather most members are based in the U.S) our vets will not promote home testing and monitoring (i have had 3 different vets say the same.).
I have gathered that dry food is no good but fortunately Jack will eat anything so switching to wet food will not be a problem.
He has started peeing more and drinking more so i think we need to act.
I need help so if anyone could possibly explain to me what a "good" reading for blood sugar should be in U.K numbers (the 700 readings etc mentioned on here dont make sense,here numbers between 9 and 14 are recommended) i and Jack would be extremely grateful. Sorry for the ramble :) x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekder365

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh as a footnote Jack "has" to go to vets twice a month for testing etc coupled with insulin each visit costs (i converted this myself) approx $60-75 per visit.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The US measures blood glucose levels in mg/dl. The UK and other parts of the world measures it as mmol. 700 mg/dl is the same as 38 mmol. Normal non-diabetic levels are roughly 60 to 150 mg/d (3 to 11 mmol).

A great web site with a forum to join is Feline Diabetes —Diabetes in Cats — Treatment and Diabetic Cat Info — FDMB There are lots of UK members on that board there who can suggest locally available foods and resources for you.

You do not need to go to the vet at all for monthly blood glucose testing. Many cats get stressed out with the visit that blood glucose levels are elevated and that gives an inaccurate result. You can easily test your cat's blood glucose levels at home yourself with a blood glucose meter (I guess it's called glucometer in the UK). A Human one is fine but there are pet ones available which are not easy to obtain supplies for at any pharmacy / chemist. A blood sample is typically taken from the edge of the ear using the lancet device that comes with the meter. It does not harm the cat at all.