Help needed...cat fighting in another cats territory

sarbob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I'm new to this forum but am getting a bit desperate with my cat at the moment.

My cat Frankie is a neutered, chipped 3yr old male. I've had him since he was a kitten and he is a really loving cat. He loves being picked up and cuddled. We live in a ground floor flat, one side of the flat is a quiet road and the other side is the grounds to my flat complex. There are lots of bushes and trees this side and no traffic.

He used to stay this side of the flat when he was out but in recent months I have heard cats fighting and run outside to discover it's my Frankie on the other side of the road in a full on cat fight with another black and white male (I think he is male). This has happened quite a few times now that I know of, it's happened tonight. He normally comes back with nothing more than scratches and he is scared. I keep him in for a few days and wash the scratches.

Is there anyway to encourage Frabkie to start going back out to the quieter side of the flat like he used to? I worry he will get really hurt by this other cat and I think the territory probably belongs to the other cat.

I keep Frankie in during the day and let him out when I get home where he goes out and comes back in as he pleases. Should I keep him in overnight or at certain times? He loves it outside so don't want to keep him indoors forever.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is really dangerous because he could get seriously hurt or be infected by something the other cat has.

Can you take his out on a harness so you can supervise?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarbob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've never used a harness on him, how do I go about trying this? He loves to chase after leaves and invisible things...can he still do this on a harness?

mamacat23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My suggestion is to keep Frankie indoors 24/7.   Outdoor cats are subject to disease, being hit by cars, and depending on your area, can be killed by coyotes or  bobcats.  And, cats that go outdoors have a very short life...usually only 3-4 years.   I know you said you cat likes being outside, but what he probably likes is the stimulation outdoors.  You can duplicate this indoors by giving him places he can see outside (might try putting a birdfeeder outside a window/patio door--cats can spend hours watching the activity), providing him with toys, things he can climb on (cat furniture) and taking time everyday to play with him for 10-15 minutes (interactive play).  Basically you will be making him enjoy being indoors because there's lot to keep him busy.  Cats do not need to be outside and live happily indoors (often living to 14-18 years old and beyond).  We have three indoor cats who love being inside.  We have 3 kitty condos (2 and 3 story climbing/scratching posts that are anywhere from 3 to 5 feet tall)--one of which is in front of patio doors.  I have a bird feeder that's visited regularly by a variety of birds (and squirrels) and often one or more of them watching "kitty TV."   We've also provided them with a variety of toys including tunnels (collapsible, made of nylon), balls of every variety (some cats prefer one kind more than others), soft cat-nipped filled toys, paper balls (toss them and see if you cat will chase it or might retrieve it and bring it back to you.  My husband and I also play with them everyday....they love an item called a "Cat Dancer"...simple and inexpensive toy that can mimic the movement of bugs, flies, etc.  But, you can also give him things like the ring off a plastic milk jug to play with,  an old sock with the top cut off and stuffed with some catnip and.sewn closed, etc--just don't give him string...cats can swallow it and die.  Lastly, when transitioning to an indoor-only cat--don't give in to Frankie's antics to get you to let him out---he'll stop doing that after a bit..just be strong.  

I hope this helps.  I know of no way to get a cat to stay outside in only one area and, I assure you Frankie will be much happier in the long run being an indoor only cat.  

My best to you and Frankie!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are very few TCS members who let their cats outdoors and I am one of them. 
 It has happened to me and it is not an exclusive male behavior. Females can be pretty tough too. 

In my experience, Frankie will return to his quiet zone when 1. the other cat leaves the area (cause Frankie convinced him to
) or 2. they become friends or at least tolerate each other or  3. they agree on a neutral zone between their territories or 4. Frankie submits to the other cat as the dominant one. 

Making Frankie an indoor cat will definitely solve your problem. Or  build him an enclosure where he used to hang around if you can.  If you feel like me that cats should be allowed the freedom of the outdoors, you will have to risk the dangers mentioned in the previous posts. I was fortunate that none of my cats ever died from such encounters 
 but there were trips to the vet to mend deep scratches and bites. 

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never used a harness on him, how do I go about trying this? He loves to chase after leaves and invisible things...can he still do this on a harness?
Try it around the house first and see if he can get used to it. He can still chase if you can keep up with him! You'd be walking him and keeping an eye on him.