Help! Need input on traumatized kitten

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I need input for my emotionally traumatized Autumn. A little history for anyone not knowing. Before adopting her she lived in a bad environment with a rambunctious five year old and next door to an actual dangerous four year old. I saw their behaviors first hand. Autumn is four months old now and jumpy at sudden moves. This morning I went to put up the window shade and she bolted. I have PTSD from gun violence so I know how sudden noises can feel. I have to wonder how often that four year old got hold of Autumn and her brothers that she's so jumpy. I try to give her a calm and nurturing home. She's safe with me. I'm thinking God sent her to me for this reason. We've both been traumatized by violence and need each other.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's wonderful that you've taken this gorgeous girl in. It really does sound as though you were meant for each other.

Having said that, its important not to project your PTSD issues (as a suffer of mental illness, I have great sympathy for you there) onto Autumn. Of course, she's nervy, jumpy and traumatised, but if you over identify with her you could exacerbate the problem. I know how easy it is to do first hand - I'm really not judging here :hugs:

Basic anti stress measures would be Feliway plug ins throughout the house. Spirit Essences could help rebalance Autumn and help her let go of her past. Interactive playtime is a wonderful way to build both bonds and confidence for her.

It will get better, and she will relax as she puts more time between herself and her last home. She's only four months old. She will be able to move past this.

[article="30316"][/article][article="32758"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="32735"][/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's wonderful that you've taken this gorgeous girl in. It really does sound as though you were meant for each other.

Having said that, its important not to project your PTSD issues (as a suffer of mental illness, I have great sympathy for you there) onto Autumn. Of course, she's nervy, jumpy and traumatised, but if you over identify with her you could exacerbate the problem. I know how easy it is to do first hand - I'm really not judging here :hugs:

Basic anti stress measures would be Feliway plug ins throughout the house. Spirit Essences could help rebalance Autumn and help her let go of her past. Interactive playtime is a wonderful way to build both bonds and confidence for her.

It will get better, and she will relax as she puts more time between herself and her last home. She's only four months old. She will be able to move past this.

[article="30316"][/article][article="32758"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="32735"][/article]

When she jumps at a noise I want to just comfort her. The kid that was so dangerous picked her up by her throat, picked one up by his tail and threw two of them onto the ground. There were a couple of times when I was at the house caring for them that she just came in. The door was unlocked. I cringe at the thought of how she treated them between the times of my visits. I looked into that calming stuff. Any ideas on how I can get it cheaper? It seemed so expensive.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those kids sound dreadful. I'm so glad Autumn's with you now.

Feliway isn't cheap, sadly. I think the best prices generally are on Amazon (though I did manage to find some on Groupon once for half price. Discount site are always worth a look). You could start with one plug in in the room she's in the most, then gradually buy more as you can afford it. Most cats respond well to Feliway and it makes a real impact, but there are a few for whom its not effective. Starting with one diffuser would allow you to gauge whether it works of Autumn.

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Those kids sound dreadful. I'm so glad Autumn's with you now.

Feliway isn't cheap, sadly. I think the best prices generally are on Amazon (though I did manage to find some on Groupon once for half price. Discount site are always worth a look). You could start with one plug in in the room she's in the most, then gradually buy more as you can afford it. Most cats respond well to Feliway and it makes a real impact, but there are a few for whom its not effective. Starting with one diffuser would allow you to gauge whether it works of Autumn.

That's what I was thinking. Try it first with no added refills to see if it works.

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Someone suggested to me that Autumn may have gotten the brunt of the abuse. Her brother Peanut is doing fine I was told. But Autumn is still very bitey. Today she chomped down on my hand. She's so insecure. She likes to sleep under my sheet at night and hates being alone for a second. She still jumps at sudden noises. I mean more than any cat I've ever had. When I say "No" when she's bitey she sucks her arm. When she's stressed she sucks it. Good god, what did they do to my baby girl.

Last edited:

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Feliway plug-in in one room if your place isn't huge could be enough to make a noticeable difference if money is an issue. I'd start by buying one Comfort Zone with Feliway spray to see if your cat reacts to it. If your cat is calmer, you should keep spraying it daily even with the Feliway plug-in plugged in because it can take the plug-in up to a month or so to work.

It's so great of you that you took in this traumatized kitten. Best of luck!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Autumn.  I just want to gather her up and cover her with kisses - so glad she is living safely with you.  And she looks like she feels safe, too.  She seems so happy in her photos!

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Middle picture. I can relate. Stress and her past. Love is key. Lots of stroking the area when she does it. Rub it for her. You have fingers she doesn't. Annabel feels better when she stress itches and I itch it for her. If you're home a lot this is much easier. She trusts you and you can bring her around by mirroring or changing the PTSD behavior by doing it yourself. Like I said, take her paw in yours and rub. Talk gently to her and let her know youl ver leave her nor hurt her in the way she was hurt. Smells also help. I read a lot about lavendar and it does seem to work. Does for me too. Servants has a calming collar that you might wanna try too. I hope I've been of some help.

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Middle picture. I can relate. Stress and her past. Love is key. Lots of stroking the area when she does it. Rub it for her. You have fingers she doesn't. Annabel feels better when she stress itches and I itch it for her. If you're home a lot this is much easier. She trusts you and you can bring her around by mirroring or changing the PTSD behavior by doing it yourself. Like I said, take her paw in yours and rub. Talk gently to her and let her know youl ver leave her nor hurt her in the way she was hurt. Smells also help. I read a lot about lavendar and it does seem to work. Does for me too. Servants has a calming collar that you might wanna try too. I hope I've been of some help.

Last night I was holding her when a couple of plastic bottles fell on the floor. She tried to bolt but I kept holding her to comfort her. When I did she hid her little face in my elbow. It broke my heart. I love her dearly and don't like seeing her like this.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a beautiful little cat. Is she away from the kids that traumatized her (I hope)?

You must keep doing your best to comfort and calm her; I can tell how much you love her and care about her. It's a fine line when trying to de-traumatize a cat. Sometimes when you hold them during a loud or scary noise, or during a time period when they are terrified, they can come to associate that noise with you, no matter how much you care and your intention is geared towards trying to calm them. I know there is a type of therapy for PTSD, where the therapist and the client can try to desensitize the client to the traumatic event or issue by exposing them repeatedly --in a safe place-- to (a form of) the PTSD-causing event... and eventually, the body's reaction to the fear can decrease and "re-train itself". But I don't know if that works with cats. Personally, I would keep her away from little kids, esp. until you can get her through her kittenhood with you safely by her side, giving her a happier way of life.

I feel so sorry for your kitty! Thank goodness she has you with her.

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long have you had her?

You say she's four months old, so I assume it hasn't been very long, and she spent a good portion of her formative kittenhood getting treated like a toy by young children with apparently ridiculous parents. Kids that young shouldn't be spending unsupervised time with kittens in the first place, but I'm guessing the parents did not discourage the behavior even if they were around to witness it. Unfortunately there are plenty of YouTube videos showing "cute" things like young kids yanking terrified cats by their tails and swinging them like lassos.

Autumn's reactions are normal, given her experiences. Hell, some cats are more skittish than that, and weren't abused. But the important thing is that she's safe now, and if she doesn't realize it already, she's going to realize it sooner or later and her life will be better. Her life is already better, in fact. She's obviously still adjusting, but she's going to be just fine, thanks to YOU. Just remember that, and keep giving her love. Good luck!

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The calming collar is Servants. Now Servants. My tablet sometimes screws up words. You seem to know what you're doing. Another thing I found is lavendar incense works as well as the calming collar. It's a dollar a pkg. and we've been through 3 or 4 already but it definitely does work. Makes the entire room smell so its kinda the same as a calming collar, you just have to use more than one. When one burns down light another.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The calming collar is Servants. Now Servants. My tablet sometimes screws up words. You seem to know what you're doing. Another thing I found is lavendar incense works as well as the calming collar. It's a dollar a pkg. and we've been through 3 or 4 already but it definitely does work. Makes the entire room smell so its kinda the same as a calming collar, you just have to use more than one. When one burns down light another.
   In my experience cats and incense don't mix.. in fact I have a friend whose cat started a fire that way.  If you're going to use it I suggest you put it well out of the way of pussycats.

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Incense has a specific way of being burned. There are holders theatre wood and then there are other methods such as the glass I use. It's never actually burning rather smoldering and cats tend to stay away from it, mine does. She likes to sit within reach of the smell. Lavendar is whats on the calming collar and it has the double effect of helping me emotionally too. I don't like sandalwood or other brisk sent anyway and neither would my cat.

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Autumn is very comforted when I hold her. She calms down. Cats can be skittish but they shouldn't be over sudden movements. Not like she is. She has no contact with those kids any more. Not since I took her in. She's five months old today. I fostered her and her brothers when they were two weeks old at the home of the family with the rambunctious kid. The abusive little girl lived next door to them. I say lived because the family with the boy moved. I checked with a craft store and they have large lavender candles really cheap.

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Autumn is still quite young and it is going to take her a while to get used to a life where every noise doesn't cause fear. The unfortunate side is that behavior learned as a kitten is hard to eliminate. I think that time and a quite home will eliminate some of her skittishness, but it might not ever go away totally. It sounds like you are on your way to calming your kitty down, but it will take a while. I have noticed that cats start to calm down after they are two to three years old and they start to bond better with their human caretakers.

Jim

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Theodore is only 5 weeks old, and he has never been abused, but is terribly skittish.  If he sees you he will run and hide. If a loud noise should happen, he jumps 3 feet, and often backwards prior to bolting.  Of course his mom is/was feral, and don't know about his dad, so I think she is teaching him to hide, though she herself has come a long way and is quite friendly...

When we first got Tatiana, Tati and Snowy didn't get on as we had hoped, and Tatiana was very high strung.  She purchases the feliaway collars, and Tati did okay with wearing it, but I would not attest to that it made her calmer.  Snowy hated it and would not wear it and made her moody.  Good luck if you go this route, but before spending a LOT of money, I would make sure she likes it and it has the desired effect.

I think lavendar is calming, and an alternative to incense is the scenty candle wax warmers.  Better homes and gardens has a very nice lavender vanilla scent, and I used that for a time when both Snowy and Tati were charging through my room all night long and it did make them somewhat calmer. Of course they quit sleeping in there for a while too, but at least I got some sleep.  The warming units range in price - but I like them!  to me they scent more than candles do.  If you happen to have one of the the little candle cozy's or mug warmers, that is another option is to just get lavender or some other soothing scented candle and try that on the warmer.  (the wax refills are $2.00 for six cubes.