Help! My usually food-obsessed cat is not eating and he's lethargic

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Boaz will usually devour all his meals and eat and eat and eat like he doesn't know when he's full. Last night, he at first turned his nose up at dinner, which is unheard of, for him, but he later on ate all his dinner. This morning, he picked at his breakfast, going back to it off and on, and left about half of it before going to sleep in his basket. Initially this morning he was walking around looking for something to play with or chew on like he often does.

I feed him a completely balanced raw diet, prepared and quality controlled by Raw Dog Food & Co. He's been on their raw diet since February and was doing fine until last night. What could be the problem? Should I take him to the vet? My vet's office is an hour away from me, but I'll do it. Any advice you can give ASAP is appreciated!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat Boaz will usually devour all his meals and eat and eat and eat like he doesn't know when he's full. Last night, he at first turned his nose up at dinner, which is unheard of, for him, but he later on ate all his dinner. This morning, he picked at his breakfast, going back to it off and on, and left about half of it before going to sleep in his basket. Initially this morning he was walking around looking for something to play with or chew on like he often does.

I feed him a completely balanced raw diet, prepared and quality controlled by Raw Dog Food & Co. He's been on their raw diet since February and was doing fine until last night. What could be the problem? Should I take him to the vet? My vet's office is an hour away from me, but I'll do it. Any advice you can give ASAP is appreciated!
Is the batch of food you're feeding new/recently opened? How is his stool?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is the batch of food you're feeding new/recently opened? How is his stool?
Recently opened, yes. I don't feed him raw food that's been in the refrigerator more than 2 days. He hasn't pooped recently. His most recent one was firm and normal.

My vet had an appointment available this morning but then not again until this coming Monday, so I went ahead and brought Boaz to the vet today. Dr. Restey said that it could be an issue with the raw food I'm feeding Boaz, so I'm going to call Raw Dog Food & Co., report to them Boaz's symptoms, and ask if they know of any other customers of theirs having similar issues.

Dr. Restey gave Boaz an injection of regular fluid (because Boaz was dehydrated when we arrived) and an injection of vitamin B3 and vitamin C as antiviral help. Dr. Restey wants to do bloodwork on Boaz as well to test, among other things, Boaz's liver, kidney, and pancreas values. The bloodwork will also reveal any issues the food may be causing or any issues not immediately visible to Dr. Restey. The bloodwork was too out of my price range today, so that's something I'm going to work up towards being able to afford to get done as soon as possible.

Boaz has two big pockets under his front legs where the vet gave him the injections. Other than that, Boaz acts pretty much like his normal self. He's still eating, just with an irregular eating pattern. I'll be interested to see if his eating habits go back to normal around dinner time.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Recently opened, yes. I don't feed him raw food that's been in the refrigerator more than 2 days. He hasn't pooped recently. His most recent one was firm and normal.

My vet had an appointment available this morning but then not again until this coming Monday, so I went ahead and brought Boaz to the vet today. Dr. Restey said that it could be an issue with the raw food I'm feeding Boaz, so I'm going to call Raw Dog Food & Co., report to them Boaz's symptoms, and ask if they know of any other customers of theirs having similar issues.

Dr. Restey gave Boaz an injection of regular fluid (because Boaz was dehydrated when we arrived) and an injection of vitamin B3 and vitamin C as antiviral help. Dr. Restey wants to do bloodwork on Boaz as well to test, among other things, Boaz's liver, kidney, and pancreas values. The bloodwork will also reveal any issues the food may be causing or any issues not immediately visible to Dr. Restey. The bloodwork was too out of my price range today, so that's something I'm going to work up towards being able to afford to get done as soon as possible.

Boaz has two big pockets under his front legs where the vet gave him the injections. Other than that, Boaz acts pretty much like his normal self. He's still eating, just with an irregular eating pattern. I'll be interested to see if his eating habits go back to normal around dinner time.
Good idea for trusting your gut instincts, and good idea on calling the food company just in case. You said he likes to chew on things, keep an eye on the box to see when he poops to rule out any kind of partial blockage, etc. I'm happy he's acting normal. With any luck it's just one of those little bugs going around and he'll be back to normal in no time. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much everyone for your concern and suggestions! Boaz was very excited about his meals today! Not sure what was wrong yesterday, but glad he's feeling better now and I feel better having the vet look him over and suggesting treatment options.