Help! My, 'used To Be Chill Cat' Has Turned The Other Way!

akeen83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey gang, I am completely out of options here and I need any and all help. Tuesday, my fiancee and I moved into our new apartment. We both have cats, Dozer, who is mine is a DSH, age 10, male. My fiancee has a female named Socks, who is a mackrel tabby, age 14. Dozer, is the most laid back cat on the planet - until now. Socks is super sweet and loving. Dozer has been in a household with cats so, I thought this would go well. When we finished our paperwork, we brought them both up in their cages with treats, water - all the supplies, incorporating their smells at the same time. We also opened their cages at the same time. They got out, smelled one another and explored. We thought all was fine and dandy until Dozer cowered down and started hissing at Socks who was, not only confused but curious about him and the house. He now hisses and growls any time he sees her. We have kept them separated and away from the noise during the move but nothing is working. Please, I need help! Dozer is my best friend and he even attacked me when I was trying to pet him, which he has also never done. I know you all understand as he is also a therapy cat, helping me after my time in combat.....I cannot fathom getting rid of him nor re-homing him - it will kill me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, I'm so glad you're here! congrats on the new place.
heavens no, this definitely doesn't sound as bad as rehoming. I think mostly Dozer just needs time and maybe, could you separate him off into his own space while you're unpacking, getting settled etc?
Then, let me get an article...be right back, here it is;
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
And, do you have separate places for each cat's food, water and litter boxes? Just to be sure that there's no anxiety or territorial crankiness about those things.
Hang in there!!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its only been just over a day and there has been so many changes for both cats, new smells of another cat, new home with so many different things. All these will unsettle the most lay back cat. Just take it slowly, let each get used to their new home and then each other. Keeping them seperated and slow introduction is best. Try to spend as much time as you can with each to reassure them, talking , touching if possible or just sitting quietly. It may take several weeks for both to be comfortable but it will come. Be patient and enjoy your new home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

akeen83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both - I will look into the articles and thank you! Big step for us both. They do have their own food bowl, litter and water bowl. Along with their own treats and toys. I am just heartbroken as he has never acted like this. My fiancee luckily has these next two days off until Monday, she will luckily be there, monitoring them both and letting them get acclimated, slowly. I know I am jumping the gun it's just....he's my buddy. When he is by himself, he is all over us both -- purring and happy. With belly exposure and pur-meows. I just hate seeing him under duress.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Nah, not jumping the gun at all, you're a very caring cat person and dealing with this kind of thing as early as possible means that you're likely going to get his stress levels down sooner, which is a really good thing since humans aren't the only ones whose systems don't deal with with stress.