HELP my persian hates being combed !!

louise 28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are having great difficulty combing our persian cat who is 15 months old.
Usually we wait until she is relaxed but combing is difficult as she growls then hisses, I try to cut some small knots out and I am waiting for a clipper to arrive to try and keep the belly hair and underarms/ legs free from fur.
What guard do you recommend to use on clippers as most videos / vet don't use any ??
Any tips and advice would be appreciated . Thankyou

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A guard comb could get tangled in the fur. I never use them. Just be certain the blade is the correct one for the length you want and be CAREFUL on the tummy so you don't hit the teats. Most Persians are food driven so try a special treat. Have someone else offer the treat while you are combing her. As frustrating as it is take your time - go slowly. Stop when she has had enough or you find yourself getting upset, give her a rest and try again. They pick up on our emotions. Work with her daily. Frequency is important to get her used to it. Hate to admit it but some never really enjoy grooming. The important thing is to keep her from feeling confined or threatened, since that could affect all attempts at grooming. They learn very quickly.

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Professionals use a #10 blade on the tummy, rear end, and underarms.  You still need to be very careful with cats because their skin is very thin and elastic.  Try to do several "sessions" with you cat where you don't pull on any mats.  Let her get used to the feel of the comb going through unmatted fur because most cats do not mind, or even enjoy, the extra attention from grooming.  After you have her used to combing mat free remember to never pull on the mats with the comb.  The comb is used to find the beginnings of mats.  In the beginning you can simply knock each mat out with the 10 blade on the clipper.  Your cat may not look very good by doing that but they will be mat free.  Combing your cat on a daily basis is the only way to keep them mat free. 

Another technique on mats is to insert one blade of a scissor close to the skin and slice upward with the blade like you are using a knife.  You can slice the mat in to tiny sections and then use a brush to pull the disengaged fur out.

Some cats never get used to grooming.  If it becomes too much of a job for you I would take her to a professional cat groomer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louise 28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou very much for the advice, yes I have been using that scissor method to slice upwards it works .
I gave to do the grooming in small time frames as she growls and hisses [emoji]128532[/emoji]
I'll keep trying
Thankyou

louise 28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've heard a Greyhound comb is good ? What size do I get for a Persian ?
Also heard that brushing damages the coat???????? What to do ??????

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the med/fine comb on mine. I only use a comb as a brush does not get all the way down to the skin. I lose less undercoat combing. For the legs and face I use a small version of the greyhound comb, but just for general grooming it really isn't require.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also heard that brushing damages the coat????????
i've never run across that one before. Where did you hear it?

I do know that Jasmine tolerates brushing much better than combing, and that when she isn't brushed she developes mats, which certainly counts as damage to her coat.

Margret

Last edited:

louise 28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any other tips for Grooming Persians ? Shedding tools etc ?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try one of those brushes with ball-tipped metal bristles on one side. Those will get through thick fur and all the way to the skin, and the ball tips prevent skin damage. Other than that, you've already heard about how to demat, giving treats, making it a bonding time for you and your cat, etc.. If necessary take her to a groomer. If really necessary, ask your vet for a sedative so you can take her to the groomer, then use the lowest effective dose. You want her to be calm, not zonked out. Feliway in the carrier may also help.

Margret

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any other tips for Grooming Persians ? Shedding tools etc ?
I use the greyhound comb and have found that brushes don't work. At least the ones I have tried. The Furminator has also proved to be rather useless and the one I have is for long haired cats. I use it on my dog 

As far as mats go, if kitty does get any, I'd recommend one of these. You basically use it like a pick. Just be careful to not let it get close to the skin 

I also have one of these. With this one you need to be SUPER careful because it's quite sharp but depending on where the mat is (not close to the skin), it works. 

My cats hate being groomed also. I doubt my Lilith will ever like it unfortunately. 
  Sophie's a little better but not much. Lilith is so bad that she got banned from a local groomer's. 
 She's about 6 pounds of fire and brimstone all wrapped up in a sweet looking little package. 
 At least to a groomer that is. 

Looks like her name suits her: The Hebrew term lilith  or lilit  (translated as "night creatures", "night monster", "night hag", or "screech owl") 

She's my alpha cat. She bosses around her sister Sophie, brother Henry and my 45 pound Border Collie, Bailey.