Help! My Newly Adopted Cat Is Not Pooping.

Fbiuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I adopted my Cat, Hera, last Sunday afternoon around 4 pm. She was placed in the local branch of Animal Rescue League on November 4th due to the previous owner having a failing health problem. I placed her in the kitchen, gave her a cardboard box with a blanket from her shelter (the guy there said it would make her more comfortable if she had something with her scent on it) and fed her the cat food she was eating in the shelter, and got her a litter box full of clumping litter. She was nervous and hide for most of Sunday night. But on Monday she becomes friendly to me and my dad. And as of today, she is exploring the house (still retreats to the kitchen at the sound of loud noises). However, while cleaning the litter box for the past two days, I notice that while she pees daily, she hasn't poop yet. Should I be worried? Is she constipated?

Attachments

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Has she had had her post-adoption check-up yet? If not, this could be something you could mention to your vet.

Some natural laxatives you can try are pumpkin or organic coconut oil. Also be sure she's drinking plenty of water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fbiuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I give her a bowl of water, which I had replaced and refilled just yesterday. I also feed her 1/3rd cup of dry cat food, and 1/3rd canned cat food, both same brands that the Shelter used (Hill's Science Diet). Planning to have a post-adoption vet check-up this Saturday. Also, how do I feed her pumpkin or coconut oil?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can add in about a teaspoon (it doesn't have to be exact) of plain pureed canned pumpkin in her wet food. Add a bit of water into the mix so it's like gruel or oatmeal. She might lick coconut oil off the spoon. I have one that loves coconut oil.

Fbiuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So what brand of coconut oil are we talking about? Because the local pet store and groceries don't sell any and the internet retailers have literally hundreds of different coconut oils.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
So what brand of coconut oil are we talking about? Because the local pet store and groceries don't sell any and the internet retailers have literally hundreds of different coconut oils.
Do you have a health food store by you? Those almost always have coconut oil. Olive oil can work too for this purpose, if you can't find any coconut oil.

Fbiuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There isn't any health store near me. Olive Oil however, yes I can buy. Thanks.

Fbiuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I went to the local B-Fresh and manage to find both Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and Olive Oil. I also bought Laxatone (Tuna-flavored).

The results:

Hera has no interested in Laxatone.
Hera showed no interest in Olive Oil.
Hera showed no interest in Coconut Oil.

My only hope now is mixing it with the canned food.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
So I went to the local B-Fresh and manage to find both Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and Olive Oil. I also bought Laxatone (Tuna-flavored).

The results:

Hera has no interested in Laxatone.
Hera showed no interest in Olive Oil.
Hera showed no interest in Coconut Oil.

My only hope now is mixing it with the canned food.
It should work for mixing it in; sometimes cats who haven't had oil before will refuse it because they don't know what it is. If she doesn't want to eat wet food with the oil mixed in; crumble up some treats and sprinkle it on top of the mixture to make it more appealing. Hopefully she still likes the pumpkin. :)

Last edited:

Fbiuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It should work for mixing it in; sometimes cats who haven't had oil before will refuse it because they don't know what it is. If she doesn't want to eat wet food with the oil mixed in; crumble up some treats and sprinkle it on top of the mixture to make it more appealing. Hopefully she still likes the pumpkin. :)
Haven't manage to find canned pumpkin.
And if you don't end up using any of the oils for her, you at least have something to cook with. ;)
I personally don't feel the humor. Since it's only been a week since the previous cat died from a preventable cause (should have spayed her) and having complication this early is doing wonders for my anxiety. :sniffle:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I personally don't feel the humor. Since it's only been a week since the previous cat died from a preventable cause (should have spayed her) and having complication this early is doing wonders for my anxiety. :sniffle:
I apologize; I was trying to reply to you quickly and didn't stop to read my post, but looking back I realize this was insensitive. I didn't know what had happened to your previous cat. I'm so sorry for all that has happened in these past few days for you.

Fortunately, two days isn't too concerningnly long for a cat to go without pooping, so as long as she doesn't seem to be in pain, I think she should be okay. If you mix oils in with the wet food, it should blend in nicely, so hopefully she's able to go soon.

Fbiuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's Okay. I understand you are trying to cheer me up.
Good news is she ate the coconut oil when I mixed it with food (she inhales canned food like crazy).
Now I just hope to see cat poop in the cat litter.....wow, I never thought I would be happy to clean up shit in the litter box.:dunno:

Fortunately, two days isn't too concerningnly long for a cat to go without pooping, so as long as she doesn't seem to be in pain, I think she should be okay.
Aren't pets (cats in particular) rather infamous for concealing pain?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It's Okay. I understand you are trying to cheer me up.
Good news is she ate the coconut oil when I mixed it with food (she inhales canned food like crazy).
Now I just hope to see cat poop in the cat litter.....wow, I never thought I would be happy to clean up shit in the litter box.:dunno:

Aren't pets (cats in particular) rather infamous for concealing pain?
That's terrific news that she ate the coconut oil! Hopefully it gets her digestion moving.

Yes, you're right that cats are good at masking pain. So, what you have to look for is subtle changes in behavior. That she's eating is a good sign, because severely constipation can cause stomach aches, which makes cats less willing to eat.

Fbiuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good News. I was cleaning her litter box at 7 this morning and I found a stool!

Coconut oil works! Though, appears to be somewhere between a Type 2 and Type 3 stool.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Good News. I was cleaning her litter box at 7 this morning and I found a stool!

Coconut oil works! Though, appears to be somewhere between a Type 2 and Type 3 stool.
That's good news! As her digestion gets more regular, her stool should get more consistently solid. But, this is something else to ask your vet about.