Help!! My neighbor's cat hit by a car, can't move his lower body...

captain pawsome

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi furry friends! 2 days ago, my neighbor, which is also my uncle, called me and said that he had hit another neighbor's cat. The cat is very tame and likes to play around our houses. Then, I ran like a crazy person around the neighborhood to find the cat. He was hiding under a shed and meowing non-stop, I can see that he is a lot of pain.

I grab a towel and try to approach him, he is so scared and tried to run, but he only can drag his upper body. I slowly cupped his neck and carry him out. I never heard a cat meow so loud and looked so sad!! My heart's broken looking at the state of him, gasping for breath. He wouldn't let us touch him. I saw that his tail is not moving at all and, and inside both of the thighs were scraped. and After putting him in a carrier we dashed to the vet, with him still meowing. 

At the clinic, the vet gave him painkillers, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory injections, and he calms down a bit, even the vet said he is in a lot of pain. The vet wants us to confine  him for 5 days first, to see if he gets better. He is a big cat, around 1 and a half-year-old. Not vaccinated yet I think.  I never have any experienced with injuries like this, and why can't he moves his tail?

Yesterday he is a bit better, he did pee, dragging his lower body, but this morning I saw his spine was curved upwards and his hand is shaking!  Why???

I wasn't there when the incident occurs, but based on the injury it looks like his tail is crushed under the van, and also both his legs kinda spraddled under the tire. His tail is completely unresponsive now, and I am worried that he can't walk again. He is semi-feral and his owner doesn't seem to really bother... 

He is under my care now, and please pray for him furry friends, if he doesn't get better he might have nowhere to go... :(

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Poor kitty! Thank you for taking care of him and getting him prompt medical care!

Were x-rays done? This will answer a lot, if not all of your questions. It's quite possible kitty has a fractured/broken back, pelvis and or legs. It's also likely that he has sustained some nerve damage.

It is excellent that he is able to urinate on his own!

More than likely he will need to be confined for longer than 5 days. Without knowing the extent of his injuries, I cannot say for certain how long, but broken bones take 6-8 weeks to heal, and that is with a clean break.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

captain pawsome

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When we were at the vet, the X-ray machine is under maintenance, so we had to go back in 5 days time. Very unfortunate for us...

Is it okay to let him outside the cage for a while? Because he is semi-feral,  he really hates staying in the cage,  meowing and pushing his head to get out. But I am worried it will worsen his condition if we let him out.

Truth to be told, I am more worried that his owner just shrugged off and happily agreed when I said I will take care of him for now. I've heard stories of taking care handicapped pets, and it wasn't easy...  

Oh God, please let him walk again... 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Not knowing this cat or the extent of his injuries, I cannot advise how he may further injure himself outside the cage. Ultimately he needs to remain as inactive as possible and, so long as he is not bouncing off the sides of the cage in panic mode, I would keep him in the cage.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Not only can he injure himself more he is not able to defend himself either. Stay in the cage.

captain pawsome

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the concern. I will not let him out then. I will keep updating about him when there is news... 

Thanks again!

captain pawsome

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a quick update on the cat,

He is fine and well!!!

The x-ray doesn't show anything broken or fractured, just the hip bone moved a bit a little. the vet said no immediate procedures needed, and only his thighs muscles were swollen, and even that  is gradually getting better!! The tail is also a bit responsive as well. 

He looks fine and quite happy with all the attentions he got, with so many people visiting and feeding him. He greeted and probably told everyone what happened to him.... :)

He already can stand on his hind legs, so, everything is okay and  we are all happy for him... ;)

Thanks for all the advices furry friends! 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
So a bit of a dislocated hip and some muscle swelling? Glad to hear it is not more serious! I hope you are able to keep him inside until he is completely healed from his injuries. (Or, perhaps longer! He was get use to the indoor spoiled like! [emoji]128521[/emoji])