Help my Kittens are fighting!

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 10 mo old male who is very chill and a 9 mo female who has a lot of energy, both fixed. They have been together for 7 mos now.
They like each other, are litter buddies and normally all is good. However, lately I keep noticing new tiny wounds on her nose... they rough play and chase each other.
She will usually start it, goes to him while he's napping and roughly start licking him. Of course, it turns into a wrestling match. He is stronger than her n usually wins! I think she wants his attn and he just is not in a playing mood.
I do tell them to "settle down" they listen half the time.
The other day I noticed he was more aggressive towards her and I put him in bathroom with door closed, they swatted for a while through bottom of door. I know he wasn't happy to be there!
Let him out and he kept going after her. She is strong and doesn't back down.
Any suggestions?!?!
Pics to show her pricked nose :(

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe try putting them in separate rooms for a few days, giving them both a break from each other. Then re-introduce them using the standard cat introduction protocols.

You might want to consider adding more litter boxes, scratching posts, beds, etc., so they don't feel like they have to compete over resources. Best of luck & keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I have seperated for about an hour every other day. Seems to help a bit.
I will b on a 15 hour road trip, hope it all goes well. Bought them a "camper" to transport! Big n roomy :)

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to separate mine for a few minutes so they can both calm down. It's also great to have a few cat trees and other places on the ground where your male can go without your female following. They do calm down when they get a little older.

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I will start separating often.
I have at least 4 scratch posts as well as 2 other floor scratchers.
I only have 1 big litter box, maybe I should get a 2nd one.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I would definitely get a second litterbox, I have two cats & have three litter boxes. They do say you should have one extra box than the number of cats you have.
I also agree with the others that time apart is a good option, it sounds like they need a bit of time on their own to escape each other.

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good to know! I will get a couple more litter boxes then :)

I will start separating them more often so they each get their own space.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I will start separating often.
I have at least 4 scratch posts as well as 2 other floor scratchers.
I only have 1 big litter box, maybe I should get a 2nd one.
Thanks
The scratch posts have a place at the top to sit and lie in peace? I'm talking about being able to get away from the other kitty and still feeling a part of things. 

synthia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I see what you mean. I am planning on getting them a bigger/taller tree.

Problem I see now is that the female seeks him out WHEREVER he is, he may be napping (climbs into his bed) and will start by licking his head/ears and moments later they are going at it. I think she wants to play. He is definitely the Alpha, very calm...

This pic is right now... her first attempt was his bed, he ignored her n she climbed over to hers.