Help! My Kitten Was Attacked

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had pets for almost as long as I've been alive and have learned lots of professional care techniques from riding with vets on farm calls and my own animals and barns I have worked at. I might feel comfortable treating a dog but cats are completely different and medically complicated at times. So while I'd tell you to take any animal to a vet for a wound like this it sort of goes double for a cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi guys thanks for all your replies last week
thought id update you all
its now been 8 days since the incident occured,
and the kitten, thankfully is growing back its fur, in the injured spot
for the first few days he seemed weak, and barely moved, but i kept him in a safe place with a litter box nearby, food neairsh by, and no need for him to move around or strain the wound
i also kept a plaster immediatly after the wound occured, which was replaced by a bandage for a few days by the vet
i took of the bandage today to replace it (as i was advised)
and like i say, the fur is growing back over the wound

now for the good news
the kitten is full of live, running all over the place
and he is back doing that purrr motor that kittens do, while climbing all over you

however for the moment im still keeping him safely away from him doing too much activity for a couple more weeks till im sure he has healed properly

also, my remaing bunny rabbits, although theyre super cute and have never harmed the kitten before, i am still keeping them apart when i am not there to supervise them

ie when im out for the day, theyll be in seperate rooms from the kitten

the only thing is, he has a couple of little bumps in the area of the bite, and a couple of little ulcurs on his stomache

i was told by the vet that these should go within a couple of weeks, but to come back if it continutes

the scans also showed no bone damage, just a nasty bite and scratch from the big rabbit who i have now given away

also - i was told i did a good job covering the area immediatly with a plaster, as that stopped any chance of infection (ie flies/contamination/the kitten licking the wound etc)

so yeh, mainly good news, ulcers aside :)

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
hi guys thanks for all your replies last week
thought id update you all
its now been 8 days since the incident occured,
and the kitten, thankfully is growing back its fur, in the injured spot
for the first few days he seemed weak, and barely moved, but i kept him in a safe place with a litter box nearby, food neairsh by, and no need for him to move around or strain the wound
i also kept a plaster immediatly after the wound occured, which was replaced by a bandage for a few days by the vet
i took of the bandage today to replace it (as i was advised)
and like i say, the fur is growing back over the wound

now for the good news
the kitten is full of live, running all over the place
and he is back doing that purrr motor that kittens do, while climbing all over you

however for the moment im still keeping him safely away from him doing too much activity for a couple more weeks till im sure he has healed properly

also, my remaing bunny rabbits, although theyre super cute and have never harmed the kitten before, i am still keeping them apart when i am not there to supervise them

ie when im out for the day, theyll be in seperate rooms from the kitten

the only thing is, he has a couple of little bumps in the area of the bite, and a couple of little ulcurs on his stomache

i was told by the vet that these should go within a couple of weeks, but to come back if it continutes

the scans also showed no bone damage, just a nasty bite and scratch from the big rabbit who i have now given away

also - i was told i did a good job covering the area immediatly with a plaster, as that stopped any chance of infection (ie flies/contamination/the kitten licking the wound etc)

so yeh, mainly good news, ulcers aside :)
I'm glad you took him to the vet and it's great he is healing up. I think everyone has got complacent at one time or another with our domestic pets. Dogs/Cats/Rabbits can get along but it's probably a good idea to remember they're animals with instincts that may be triggered. I've had a few life lessons myself.

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
THANKS
i took him to the vet that last day
i was told as it wasnt as deep as it looked, to keep changing the bandage once a week so it doesnt get dirty etc as apparently kittens can get very ill quickly
only thing is it has a couple of little ulcers on its stomache :(

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
just to let you all know that five months on, angela my kitten is doing amazing
i think i saved her life, by immediatly tying a bandage around the wound, and not letting her move much for the first few days, to stop it getting infected or to have risked it getting worse
im so happy to say that she has been for quite some time now, the most lovely fluffy cutest black kitten ever

ps weve had to move all our rabbits out, becuse as they get older they can get more agressive :(

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ps i cant believe how nieve i was 6 months back, to ever leave a hormonal 7 month old giant rabbit, with an 8 week old little kitten from day one at the time :(

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for updating! It's good to hear that Angela is still doing well. Don't be too hard on yourself - we all live and learn. And by posting about it here, now others can learn from this incident too. :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a rabbit and cats in the past and currently. It might make a difference that my rabbits have always been fixed and never house pets. I did have a rabbit do the same thing to another rabbit and we never let those two near each other again. So I've seen how much damage a rabbit can do if they really want to, I am glad your cat healed up good.

Right now, our rabbit is kept in a fenced in area that is visible to the cats but neither can get to each other. But I got him neutered within a month that of joining us partially for that very reason of preventing territorial aggression problems.