Help- my indoor cat has two small wounds/sores that appeared randomly last night?

Thecatsmeow901

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help, my indoor cat has two sores that appeared out of nowhere…what could these be from? I have a dog and another indoor cat at home as well. neither of them are exhibiting any signs of this. She does not seem to be itching excessively, she is eating just fine, has no problems using the bathroom, and overall does not appear to be in any sort of pain or discomfort. I know ultimately the best thing is take her to the vet but mine is closed until Monday so if anyone happens to know what this could be and/or what she may need to help heal it, plwae It's hard to get a good photo but here is a photo of the one on her face. Has anyone else with indoor only cats had a similar experience? I have emailed her vet but they are closed until Monday and I really don't want to spend the hundreds of extra dollars which I don't have by unnecessarily taking her into the emergency vet if I can avoid it.

Attachments

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she go outside at all? Is there anyway your other cat or dog could have caused this?

I really dont know what this might be.

I am not a vet but IMO I don't think that she needs emergency attention as you mentioned that she is eating, drinking, potting fine, she doesn't seem like she is in pain..

I would suggest keeping an eye on the areas to make sure there isn't any pus or foul odor. Also keep monitoring her eating/drinking, potting and any signs of pain. I would highly recommend you try to get her not to scratch it if she starts trying to do so.

If anything changes or you feel like she needs attention before Monday I would take her to an emergency vet. But for now just keep an eye on her and get in contact with your vet on Monday.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the how did she get hurt line --

Check your furniture, including the underside of chairs and sofas and tables for sharp edges and points? More often than we realize when companies put furniture together they leave the sharp ends of nails sticking out. I discovered this when picking up a small footstool. You can fix it by making a pad of folded duct tape, or cardboard and duct taping it over the sharp point. You'll need to check it again regularly.

Also check the edges and inside of your closets and cabinets and all the little places your cat may hide -- basements and attics. Watch your hands, be careful. If you get scratched by something, take care of it.

wali_the_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Help, my indoor cat has two sores that appeared out of nowhere…what could these be from? I have a dog and another indoor cat at home as well. neither of them are exhibiting any signs of this. She does not seem to be itching excessively, she is eating just fine, has no problems using the bathroom, and overall does not appear to be in any sort of pain or discomfort. I know ultimately the best thing is take her to the vet but mine is closed until Monday so if anyone happens to know what this could be and/or what she may need to help heal it, plwae It's hard to get a good photo but here is a photo of the one on her face. Has anyone else with indoor only cats had a similar experience? I have emailed her vet but they are closed until Monday and I really don't want to spend the hundreds of extra dollars which I don't have by unnecessarily taking her into the emergency vet if I can avoid it.
The EXACT same thing happened to my cat. Two days ago, literally overnight, a bleeding wound/ulcer appeared on my cat's left cheek. He is an indoor cat and there is nothing in the house that would have caused this ulcer/growth. He is still eating and doesn't seem to be in any pain, but the growth/ulcer keeps bleeding and I've been applying a safe hemostatic herb once a day until I can get him to the vet.

K Kflowers , what is your cat eating? I wonder if there is something in common about our cats that might have caused this?

Attached is a picture of my cat's similar ulcer/growth. Note that the dark red color is NOT blood. It's a hemostatic sap (from an Amazonian tree) called sangre de grado that stops bleeding. The wound itself is a pale pink just like K Kflowers .

Attachments

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thecatsmeow901 Thecatsmeow901 is the op, mine just take furniture apart when the manufacturers leave it un-finished. But, dang that's a bad place on your cat's face. Any 'stab' wound can create an abscess since cat's wounds tend to heal over quickly. Do let us know what the vet says, both of you.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
So I see the wound on the face but where is the other one ,if I may ask?
It's so hard to determine by a photo but it does look like a fresh wound- as it was already suggested that perhaps something she rubbed against?
I think it'd be safe to say it can wait until tomorrow plus by then you may be able to tell if it is was a scrape that will start to form a scab or if it's some sort of ulcer or abcess- if it were me I'd keep an eye on it and call my Vet in the morning..... does not look ( or sound) like an emergency visit is called for ..... no symptoms to indicate that
I'm sorry your baby got hurt,I'm sure your worried sick but try not to stress,I'm pretty confident all will be well....
Praying to Ensure it will be well

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thecatsmeow901

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is a photo of the other wound. I just am baffled as to what on earth could have caused this? Maybe possibly rough housing with her brother bc they do play rough and like playfully bite one another. They are bonded and were litter mates so they are literal brother and sister and have been together since birth so they get along very well and seem to know each other's boundaries. I'm just concerned if there is somehow some kind of infestation or something that I am unaware of which I also don't know how that could be... I live in a clean condo building and keep my place pretty clean. Here's a photo of the other spot though. I feed both of my cats Sensitive Stomach Blue Buffalo dry cat food.

Attachments

Thecatsmeow901

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The EXACT same thing happened to my cat. Two days ago, literally overnight, a bleeding wound/ulcer appeared on my cat's left cheek. He is an indoor cat and there is nothing in the house that would have caused this ulcer/growth. He is still eating and doesn't seem to be in any pain, but the growth/ulcer keeps bleeding and I've been applying a safe hemostatic herb once a day until I can get him to the vet.

K Kflowers , what is your cat eating? I wonder if there is something in common about our cats that might have caused this?

Attached is a picture of my cat's similar ulcer/growth. Note that the dark red color is NOT blood. It's a hemostatic sap (from an Amazonian tree) called sangre de grado that stops bleeding. The wound itself is a pale pink just like K Kflowers .
I posted below!

Thecatsmeow901

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I'm so sorry you're experiencing a similar confusing issue as well. I genuinely have no idea what could have caused this and I'm just so perplexed as to what could have happened... It's driving me crazy. Does anyone have any good recommendations for OTC ointment/cream to help healing in the mean time? I did email her vet and am anxiously waiting for their reply when they open tomorrow... Will keep y'all posted on what they say and if I find out anything. It's just so weird 🤷🏼‍♀️

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thecatsmeow901 Thecatsmeow901 and wali_the_cat wali_the_cat

At first glance I would have assumed tooth. I have had a cat suddenly get a wound like that and it was due to a bad back tooth. It was many moons ago but I've never forgotten it.

In Thecatsmeow901 Thecatsmeow901 case though there is also the wound on the lower back of neck area. So that does make me wonder where or what kitty got into, or perhaps a tuffle that started as play, or a startle and an unintentional wound was created. Like K Kflowers pointed out, check around for damage somewhere or sharp edges where kitties may have wandered to.

Even if you have nothing around "cat safe" to clean the wound with, plain water and a make-up pad, or something like that, where no "fluff" will come off it into the wound, will help to keep the area cleaner.

Keep an eye on how both are feeling.

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a photo of the other wound. I just am baffled as to what on earth could have caused this? Maybe possibly rough housing with her brother bc they do play rough and like playfully bite one another. They are bonded and were litter mates so they are literal brother and sister and have been together since birth so they get along very well and seem to know each other's boundaries. I'm just concerned if there is somehow some kind of infestation or something that I am unaware of which I also don't know how that could be... I live in a clean condo building and keep my place pretty clean. Here's a photo of the other spot though. I feed both of my cats Sensitive Stomach Blue Buffalo dry cat food.
Thank you for the 2nd photo,really looks like an injury to me but without seeing the cat physically it's impossible to tell-because of the location one could assume a tussle but that would have been rather a fierce tussle and you don't need speculation- bring kitty in to see your Vet tomorrow and just clean the wound,without knowing what it is I would not suggest anything topical because it might be something that needs to drain and not close completely.....

Call them first thing,an exam is the only way to determine what type of wound these are so you can treat properly-wish I could have been more helpful but guessing is not appropriate

You just never know what a kitty can get into,if it were just the one on the face it looks like a scrape ,this one almost looks like a puncture type of wound -in any event your Vet will examine closely and identify positively,please keep us posted