HELP! My Formerly Sweet Cat is Now a Nightmare.

sourcucumbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Context: I've had my Kirby for about 4 years now, it's always been just us with the exception of roommates for the first 2 years. We visit my parents every break (winter break/summer vacation etc). Recently, I graduated college, got a job, and moved back in with my parents. When I first got Kirby, I have always had frequent break periods where I was able to go home and be with him, and then the last few years of college we have been in a pandemic where the two of us were locked in together. My new job is a 9-5 and about an hour away from where I live, so I leave early and arrive home late.

In the last year or so, he's gotten extremely adamant about going outside, so I have leash trained him because we were living in apartments. Now that I'm back home with my parents, he spends 15-30 minutes of supervised outside time in our backyard and reluctant to be leashed. I don't let him venture on his own because the neighborhood has dogs (which are sometimes loose) and coyotes. Because of this, I have put a collar with a bell on him so that I can hear if he has jumped the fence to explore elsewhere.

Recently, I have been noticing that he's been scratching at himself excessively, around his ears and neck. He is up to date with all of his shots and has a monthly topical flea/tick treatment. I also noticed that he has groomed himself bare in the lower belly area near his groin.

I took him to the vet, and she gave him a steroid shot (Depo Medrol 20 mg/mL) as she suspects he has allergies but he hasn't stopped scratching. It is snowing in the area where I live, so he cannot go outside. Now, he's been screaming to be let out, and it's been very sad to watch.

The vet and I suspect he's been stressed out due to recent changes, so I have bought him new toys and have been intentional about play time before I work and after I come home. I have also set up an automatic pet feeder so that there's more of a routine to his feeding schedule. I got him another litter box, a cat pheremone diffuser, and new wand toys BUT he is still acting up by scratching furniture, the door to my backyard, yowling, being withdrawn etc.

I am at my wit's end. He has never been like this and I am growing increasingly concerned. This has been happening over the course of 2 months now, and at the last vet visit she suggested letting him be outside. I don't want to get into the ethical debate of indoor/outdoor cat, but I am concerned about the dogs in my neighborhood and his safety.

TL;DR: Cat Overgrooming, Excessive Scratching, Stress, and Wanting to be Outdoors

Question/Concerns/Please help me:
What next steps should I take to ensure my cat's quality of life? I am taking leads from TCS's article about stress in cats and using it as my guide, but right now it seems like nothing is working. I feel so stressed out and tired. Is there anything that I am missing? Should I just wait this out? I don't know what to do anymore, so if there's a more experienced cat parent who has suggestions or tips, please let me know. Thank you for reading through this incredibly long post.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Reading your post, it does sound like Kirby is stressed, either about the move, you being gone so long, wanting to be outside, or maybe all of that. You're back with your parent now, right. Do they like him? Does he like them? Is he the only pet at the house?

You mention this all started about 2 months ago. Is that when you moved back to your parents place / got the new job?

There haven't been any other changes have there? He still using the same litter? Same food?

If it's "just" that he wants to be outside, is building a catio for him an option?

Have you looked into Feliway? Some people find it does nothing, but others have had success using it.

There's also calming treats and collars, you could look into.

Or maybe cat calming music.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sourcucumbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Reading your post, it does sound like Kirby is stressed, either about the move, you being gone so long, wanting to be outside, or maybe all of that. You're back with your parent now, right. Do they like him? Does he like them? Is he the only pet at the house?

You mention this all started about 2 months ago. Is that when you moved back to your parents place / got the new job?

There haven't been any other changes have there? He still using the same litter? Same food?

If it's "just" that he wants to be outside, is building a catio for him an option?

Have you looked into Feliway? Some people find it does nothing, but others have had success using it.

There's also calming treats and collars, you could look into.

Or maybe cat calming music.
Hi, yes! He's the only pet in the house and is well loved (and spoiled because he's the only one) and I moved back about 4 months ago and he really started showing these signs about 2 months ago. He still has the same brand food and litter. I have recently bought Feliway for him, but I'm not noticing any changes, but maybe it is too early to determine that.

I have thought about a catio, but I'm not sure how he'll like it. We have a sun room, which is basically like a giant catio because it's all windowed, exists in between our house and the outside, and he liked it for a while, but started wanting to go out more (for context, when he's in the room we open all windows so that he can perch up on them).

I'll look into calming treats and collars! I didn't think about that, but I can look on amazon. Thank you again!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
When the weather warms up, a catio could be great but as you described that sunroom is wonderful too.

Are you sure you don't have other animals crossing through the yard? That plus the smells and sounds of the dogs is stressful, and I think rubysmama is right, he's having trouble adjusting to your new schedule which is less changeable than a college schedule. I'm guessing you are more stressed too even before he started struggling.

How about couch covers etc like this;
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DT83CBV/?tag=thecatsite

Have you tried Cat Music?

Also, use store bought unflavored chamomile tea (garden grown is unsafe for cats) on his hot spots. It is anti bacterial and anti fungal. There's coconut oil too, it's anti microbial. Both are safe if ingested, and colloidal silver could be an option as well.

sourcucumbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When the weather warms up, a catio could be great but as you described that sunroom is wonderful too.

Are you sure you don't have other animals crossing through the yard? That plus the smells and sounds of the dogs is stressful, and I think rubysmama is right, he's having trouble adjusting to your new schedule which is less changeable than a college schedule. I'm guessing you are more stressed too even before he started struggling.

How about couch covers etc like this;
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DT83CBV/?tag=thecatsite

Have you tried Cat Music?

Also, use store bought unflavored chamomile tea (garden grown is unsafe for cats) on his hot spots. It is anti bacterial and anti fungal. There's coconut oil too, it's anti microbial. Both are safe if ingested, and colloidal silver could be an option as well.
We live in an area that is country-ish so I'm sure there are other animals that cross through our yard like raccoons and oppossums. When we have visited in the past, we do let him wander with supervision here and there, but it seems like it's an every day occurrence. This is fine, we take him out, but he seems reluctant to come back in and the weather has been pretty bad lately so there's no outside time and he's been acting out extra.

I have not tried Cat music, but I can start playing that when I'm away.

Would I use food grade coconut oil on his hot spots? Should I just rub it in?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
What I meant by there being animals outside he's detecting, is all that is not what he's familiar with so it's likely adding somewhat to his stress.

Would he use a cat wheel?

I'm not able to find out whether there's any difference in raw or food grade coconut oil.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If your gut is telling you to not let him out it doesn't matter what anyone else says. Friends have bird feeder outside windows all winter. I feed the squirrels. No peanuts, in winter they will put them in your engine. Cut up a peanut butter sandwich and toss it out. Great cat TV.

With dogs and other predators in the area, going back to harness/leash walks seems like a good idea. This will also help with getting him back in. Use specific words or sounds for when it's time to go out and give a special treat when you bring him in.

Does he get a flea treatment? Even if he does, use a flea comb on him. Then wipe it with a damp paper towel to look for flee dirt.

Are you on a routine yet? Routines help with cat security. Incorporate some of the things he enjoyed at school.

Raw vs food grade coconut oil for cats:

sourcucumbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What I meant by there being animals outside he's detecting, is all that is not what he's familiar with so it's likely adding somewhat to his stress.

Would he use a cat wheel?

I'm not able to find out whether there's any difference in raw or food grade coconut oil.
I have not tried a cat wheel, but it is now on my radar! Do you have any brand recommendations?

sourcucumbers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If your gut is telling you to not let him out it doesn't matter what anyone else says. Friends have bird feeder outside windows all winter. I feed the squirrels. No peanuts, in winter they will put them in your engine. Cut up a peanut butter sandwich and toss it out. Great cat TV.

With dogs and other predators in the area, going back to harness/leash walks seems like a good idea. This will also help with getting him back in. Use specific words or sounds for when it's time to go out and give a special treat when you bring him in.

Does he get a flea treatment? Even if he does, use a flea comb on him. Then wipe it with a damp paper towel to look for flee dirt.

Are you on a routine yet? Routines help with cat security. Incorporate some of the things he enjoyed at school.

Raw vs food grade coconut oil for cats:

[/URL]
That is good advice. I will install a bird feeder outside of my window.

Once the weather clears, I'll start leashing him again. Lately he's been a runner, so we will have to slowly retrain on leashing. I like the idea of special treat! I'll incorporate some of that so he knows it is time to come inside.

He gets a monthly flea treatment. I have flea combed him and he does not have sign of flea dirt. My vet has also said he did not have fleas.

I am not yet on a routine. I am still finishing up my 90 days and my schedule is hectic. I have set up a timed pet feeder to help us get back on schedule. He had his own separate room in my old apartment. Since we lived on the second floor, I had always opened the windows for him throughout the day. Now that I am with my parents, I only open the windows when I am home, but I will keep the window open for longer for him.

Thank you for all of your advice!

GregPatel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat wheel seems like a sound idea for indoor entertainment.
If there are stray cats in the neighbourhood, or other people let their cats wonder outside, your cat might feel like his territory is invaded and needs to go outside - to deter trespassers and mark his territory and whatnot. At least, my mom's cat who used to be absolutely terrified to go outside when she lived in the city now spends most of his days outside of her country house. Fighting the neighbour's cats and such.
Anyway, I wouldn't recommend to just let the cat outside, even with a bell collar. Maybe try a harness if he doesn't like the leash-collar combination.
Btw, can the allergy be due to new collar?