Help! My feral rescue cat escaped again.

helpmetrapmycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I'm looking for advice. My indoor only feral rescue cat of 8 years escaped our house again this weekend. There is something wrong with the front door (it's popped open twice in the past 3 months) that we are getting looked at. He went missing for 2 weeks in November 2021 when this happened the first time. We thought the door wasn't closed properly at that time, but now it looks like there's something physically wrong with it. We were able to trap him last time on a neighbor's front porch after he was spotted on her Ring camera. She's 3 streets south in our neighborhood with a little wooded area in between. I've been in contact with that neighbor and no sightings yet. He's been gone about 72 hours now without any sightings except that first early morning. I saw him along our neighbor's fence, called his name and he ran from me. So frustrating.

The only reason we were able to catch him last time was because of the sighting on the Ring camera. We trapped for 2 weeks in different locations with no luck (caught 2 ferals, another stray who was returned home and a raccoon) until she spotted him. Trapped him with dry food that time.

What can I use to draw him home? I've got the litter box out in the bushes near the front door that he escaped from. I've got a diffuser with catnip oil going on the front porch, not sure how much good that's doing as it's now below freezing here (Westfield, Indiana). There's food and water in a heated dish on the back porch, but the only cat coming to it is the neighborhood feral.

I've got 2 wild life cameras with food out in the wooded area. Nothing on those except a fox and squirrels. Food hasn't been touched. We're trapping around the neighborhood again, too, but it's hard to know where to put them with 500 houses in the neighborhood. Currently around our street and the wooded area. What bait should I use in the trap? I've been using dry and wet food, but the wet is freezing. Last night we tried a fried chicken leg. Nothing. I know checking too often can be detrimental, but I'm worried about leaving them too long in this weather. How long is too long in freezing weather? It's supposed to be above freezing today and tomorrow. I'm also worried about being able to trap him again so soon after doing it in November. I ordered 4 cellular trail cameras that should be here Wednesday that I'm going to put around the neighborhood that will send an alert to my cell phone.

This is very much a word dump. tl;dr: my feral cat of 8 years escaped again after doing so for the first time 3 months ago due to a faulty front door. He's not going to come up to anyone, even me despite being friendly indoors. How do I draw him home? Can I re-trap him so soon? What's the best bait? Where should I be trapping?

kittiefoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it's cold out I recommend putting a heating pad on your porch because maybe that will make him want to stay long enough for you to actually see him... And keep him in the area for the heat.
I think shelter may be as good as food but you can also use a cat tent with a heating pad underneath it and food inside... That way he would feel safer to go in... Hoping I'm praying you get that baby back I know the work we do with Ferals is tedious but rewarding and you put your whole heart into giving him a home where he can be safe and loved I hope he comes back home knowing that home is where his heart is! 🙏😻

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helpmetrapmycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the late reply, been out searching with no luck and there was bad weather last night. 😢 We have shelters out at our house and a couple in wooded areas in the neighborhood. I ordered 4 cellular trail cameras that I setup and the only thing spotted has been a squirrel. I just don't know what to do. Is there some way that I can try to attract him to a certain location?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you tried a very smelly fish type bait? Try anything that you think he might smell out and come to investigate...cheeses etc. I know that the cold where you are is freezing things, so the scent is probably declining.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sardines, put out dirty laundry, some of his litter, leave a door or window open so he can get back in. Play a tape of a cat crying and walk around looking for him, flyers everwhere, ad on craigslist, local shelters, next door, and local lost and found groups on fb. Set a trap near your home too. You could also try a pro cat tracker. If there are feral colonies near you look there and ask whoever maintains them to keep an eye out for him.

I hope he comes home soon ❤

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All great advice. Look for him in the dark too. Use a bright flashlight to get the reflection from his eyes. Cat eyes practically glow at night. Follow all the above advice! Warmth will be a big attraction to him. I have had escaped too. Is there any place you can leave open for him? I know it gets cold there but an open window or door often works. They tend to revert to feral survival techniques outside and fail to recognize that we are their human. Once back inside, they revert to semi tame or tame again. If you get him back in a safe spot, he may recognize things again. He may still be nervous so keep that in mind if you spot him inside and quickly close him in. I have put up tarps in a pup tent style by draping them over things like picnic tables, patio furniture or even a rope tied between trees. Heat sources there are something the ferals here chose as a place they preferred. He is near, don’t give up! Ask children in the area too. Kids usually notice.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Small, enclosed areas, including under thick brush...and that flashlight really comes in handy for that! You'll see the eyeshine. WHen you spot him, DO NOT APPROACH! Sit down on the ground nearby, and talk to him in a very calm, low voice. Make sure you have some "bait," that smelly fish, KFC (which some cats would climb your leg for), gushy, smelly treats. Let him approach you. He's been outside, and all of his senses are on high alert. Even though he knows you, his "fight or flight" may dictate flight.

MackerelTabbyStripes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You've gotten lots of great advice here so far, and definitely are doing the right things. If it gets to the point of trapping but he's too wary / smart to be trapped again so soon, I had success on my missing cat this summer by using two traps. I wrapped each in dark plastic, then set them side by side facing opposite directions. Some trap-wary cats feel super clever when they identify one trap, and let their guard down entirely in the rest of the area -- that's what mine did! I saw on video how she carefully went partly into one trap, recognized that it was a trap and backed out, then immediately went around and into the other one with no further hesitation!

People have also successfully used drop-traps, but I was soooo worried I was going to get that wrong, since it needs someone actively triggering it at exactly the right time, and not scaring them off accidentally. So I was glad the double-traps worked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helpmetrapmycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, thanks for the advice. The issue I'm having is finding him. Someone saw him Tuesday when their dog scared him out of a bush, but no sightings since then. We are out every night with the flashlights, but it's been pretty cold here and haven't seen him. There is one local feral that someone feeds in the neighborhood. We've been by there with no luck. We setup 2 feeding stations yesterday, one in each wooded area with the trail cameras pointed at them. Nothing has been spotted at either. I'm super scared that something has happened to him or that he's left our neighborhood.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all, thanks for the advice. The issue I'm having is finding him. Someone saw him Tuesday when their dog scared him out of a bush, but no sightings since then. We are out every night with the flashlights, but it's been pretty cold here and haven't seen him. There is one local feral that someone feeds in the neighborhood. We've been by there with no luck. We setup 2 feeding stations yesterday, one in each wooded area with the trail cameras pointed at them. Nothing has been spotted at either. I'm super scared that something has happened to him or that he's left our neighborhood.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up. Cats have been found years after they disappear. I work in cat advocacy and just celebrated the reunion of a cat who'd been missing for several weeks with his person. Keep doing what you're doing.

MackerelTabbyStripes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are doing the right things! I'm really sorry that it hasn't worked yet. It is most likely that he still is in the neighborhood and his habits are nocturnal and not very visible to people right now. It's good that someone is feeding local ferals nearby, it sounds like your community has kind people in it. Hopefully you'll be able to track him down soon.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t lose faith, he will turn up. 💕 It may take time. Keep looking for him and doing everything advised etc.

I thought Zena had passed, one of my outdoors now inside finally after 2 years from when he was first dumped. He seemed to disappear after I tried to get him in a carrier but he was scared. But then I saw him on our cams 3 months later. I also thought Little Cat my first of the outdoor colony that I started to feed had passed also, then one day I saw her eating on the patio a year or more later from when I last saw her.

kittiefoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! This is all great news!! Right now he's getting comfortable in his "new" environment... Just like when you bring in a new feral cat and they hide for the first week once he starts getting comfortable, he will start showing his face every once in awhile.; The very good news is that he was seen on Tuesday that means he made the decision to hang around... He's not running off into a whole new neighborhood and I doubt if he hadn't by then that he will... I think it's only a matter of time before you start having some sightings of him... I know it's really hard but I think patients will pay off in this case. Patience in prayer! ❤