Help, my feral cats are pooping in my garage.....

jenny2786

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have feral cats who have access to go into the garage. However, I thought they would just sleep in there, but they are pooping too.

Does anyone have recommendations to possibly get them to poop in a certain spot outside the garage?

I did some research and saw placing a pile of sand or manure.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I don't want to close the window, but if it continues, we may have to.

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried an outside litter box?  I find that most ferals will also use litter boxes.  Also, you will need to discourage them from continuing to use the areas inside the garage - I find that cats don't like orange so I buy straight orange oil and dilute it and spray that around. Also, the orange oil makes an economical general purpose household cleaner that smells refreshing.

Bless you for giving those cats some shelter to sleep in. It's a bummer that they feel safer pooping inside the garage, too.  It could be that there are predators close by so that they don't feel comfortable "doing their business" outside - perhaps a family of owls or coyotes.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why not just provide litter boxes and then clean them daily?  They find your garage safe and will quickly take to the box.  Once they find a spot they like, it's hard to get to them stop.

I hope you will still allow them access to your garage as it is a safe refuge for them from the weather and predators.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are letting everyone know this is their place - that's one way cats mark territory.  As ShadowsRescue suggested, I would put a litter box or two out there.  Put one over the spot where they pooped -they've already identified it as the "bathroom," so take advantage of that.

Thank you for providing them a safe haven.  They are lucky kitties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenny2786

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I won't be able to place a litter box in the garage. Also, I am not there enough to be able to clean it. I have someone feeding them now. If i put a litter box outside the garage, it would probably get so gross because I am not there daily to clean it.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you get a large tote to use as a box? Fill it halfway with litter and you should be good for at least a few days. If not, wash the area down well with a good enzyme cleaner.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenny2786

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well i could be there every 2 weeks, that wouldn't work right? because i can't get there every few days to pick up the poop

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The friend who is feeding them for you - any change he or she could scoop once in a while?  Every two weeks would not be enough - the cats would end up pooping somewhere else anyway.

Last edited: