Help! My Cats Hate Each Other

hiiroge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Basically, two of our cats just do not get along. Coco, one of our younger resident cats, constantly growls and hisses at Pina, the recently adopted cat. If they get too close, Piña will attack Coco, and the yowling begins. Once Coco escapes Piña, she turns and attacks our male cat, who just stands by and watches, for absolutely no reason, as he doesn’t want to fight, and has never once instigated a fight.

It’s been about 3 weeks of this. We adopted Piña back in February, and until recently they all just kept their distance from each other. We’ve tried to separate the cats in different rooms, but they just claw at the carpet and doors until we have to let them out.

Does anyone have any ideas what’s up with them? We’re getting so stressed out coming home to this every day, and honestly we’re starting to debate returning Piña to the shelter just so Coco is less stressed out all the time

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hiiroge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We introduced them by keeping Pina locked away in a bathroom for about two weeks. They didn’t hiss or growl at that point, and play swatted at each other under the door, so we let her out. And they didn’t start actually attacking each other until about a month after they were allowed in the same room together

Spookymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It may be worth trying to introduce them again, it took several attempts with two of mine but now they are great together. Regarding them clawing the doors to get out, could you rotate it so one is locked up and the other can roam then swap? Feeding on either side of the door can help so they associate each other with positive things, as well as scent swapping by brushing them with the same comb or lightly rubbing the same towel on them both.

It's not a nice thing to witness when cats don't get on, do you know if Pina had lived with other cats before?

snoopycan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The re-introduction is a good idea. Do you have access to a dog crate or a larger carrier? It may be helpful to set up the newer cat in the crate/carrier so that everyone can see/sniff each other but safe from physically harming each other. Also maybe try using the plug-in diffuser with the calming pheromones. Good luck!

Spyro87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Those plug in diffusers are a godsend!
They smell a bit when you're near to them, but it's definitely had a calming effect on my resident cat.

I have a few cat-people friends who also swear by the diffusers.. I sometimes wish they made them for humans ;)